Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2007 1:25:44 PM EDT
saw this about a titaniam snow peak cup.......why?

does this apply to titanium only?  what if you have a steel double wall cup     thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
if they are sealed doublewall you'll heat the air inbetween the walls and it'll blow up/out I'd think

or: you'd burn the outside badly while waiting for the inside wall to heat up enough to transfer the heat to the liquid. Air is a good insulator.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
oh wow had no idea....so this applies to both titanium and steel?  or just the titanium
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Any double walled item wil become a "bomb" if enough heat is applied and the material is thin enough.

Are you talking about go cups?  I can't imagine anyone making a double walled item to be placed directly on heat.  No Lawyer is that good.  In the old days when a thermos had glass inside they would crack quick as shit if people heated them like that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe the air between the layers is there for insulation.  It'll take a LOT longer to heat up whatever is inside, plus like the others have said, it may blow up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
That warning was made for idiots like me.

When I was pretty young, like 7 or 8, I took mom's mixing bowl
and wanted to boil water.

After waiting forever, I gave up in frustration and picked up the bowl.

When I touched the bottom, I burned my fingers pretty badly.

Sat the bowl down on the kitchen counter, and burned the counter top.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top