Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2002 7:11:55 PM EDT
Yeah, I coulda dug through the service record thread, but it's 5 pages long with 110 replies.  What out fit did you serve with and when/where did you see combat?  Also, any GW syndrome sufferers here?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in the Air Force with the 963rd AWACS.  We were under the 4405th AWACS (Provisional) while in country.  I flew as an aircrew member onboard the E-3 Sentry.

We flew sorties out of Riyadh Air Base, Saudi Arabia.  We were housed at Eskan Village just outside of Riyadh.  It wasn't easy getting up every couple of hours when the air raid sirens went off for SCUD attacks.  That stuff was constant.  Sometimes we wouldn't even bother dressing in chem gear like we were supposed to do.  After being up all night, flying 12-15 hour missions was a real chore.

At least once that I can recall our unarmed surveillance plane was chased by Iraqi MiGs.  This caused us to have to perform a combat decent to avoid being shot down.  Pretty scary when you can't shoot back.

No Gulf War Syndrome here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Army, D Troop 1-1 CAV 1st AD, took the long route through Saudi up into Iraq and back over to Kuwait, it all looked like the moon to me! People ask alot "where were you stationed at in the Gulf War?"...."What were the barracks like?".....I was a Section Sgt. for the Aero Scout Platoon, we followed the aircraft on the ground during combat always about 10k's back from the line. CAV moves constantly, no barracks, we slept in our vehicles, in the aircraft or on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I should have included this in my original post, but I'm somewhat absent minded.  I was with the 101st ABN ASSLT 2/187th Inf.  when the ground war started we flew into Iraq aboard Blackhawks and set up blocking positions on Hwy 8.  Engaged the enemy in an ambush type set-up for several days until the cease fire, when we pulled back to LZ Cobra, something must have got screwed up in commo though 'cause we no more got there when we were packed back up and reinserted to take up our orignal postions, ended up being there 10 days or so.  

sf46, were you at the King Fahd IA, when the guy launched the Hellfire into the ammo dump during a weapons check on the Apache?  At least I think it was an Apache.

No GW syndrome here either, though I have received letters from the DOD and VA saying I was exposed to low level chem agents, and then others saying I was'nt.  Kinda makes me wonder if they know what the hell they're talking about.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Marine recon I was attached to 2/3 and we were hey diddle diddle right up the middle. We went thru the Al burcan oil fields...Spent some time  watching a airfield Al Jabar at QT 745 045
Only have a few moderate symptons of GW syndrom
[X]
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I was also invovled in Operation Desert Sheild/Storm...189 days worth. Worked out of King Fahd Airport (under construction at the time). I also remember the Hellfire launch into the fuze pallet...whoops. I was a part of the USAF 1st SOW and spent some time in Khafji and Kuwait city (on road kill ring). No Gulf War syndrome here
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yea, since you want to list combat operations...I alredy listed Operation Desert Shield/Storm, however, I was also a participant in Operation Eagle Claw, Operation Beald Kirk, Operation Urgent Fury, Operation Just Cause, Operation Deny Flight, Operation Continue Hope, and supported Task Force Ranger (starting 5 October, 93). Yes, I am old now. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I was there.  Attached to the 800th MP Command for the better part of my stay.  I was a guard at a EPW camp.  

I was also a guard at the US ASP near Dharan(SP?) Air Base for a few weeks.  Got to see a SCUD blow up first hand and pretty close.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Yo!...     2nd Battalion 1st Aviation 1st Armor... (attached to the 2nd ACR)..  67R..  Spent most of my time left seat in the "Hawks", cuz "i shoot the m-60 real good".  nothin scarier than hearin grond fire "thud" into the sheet metal..  only had to fire back a few times..

I am also on the list of poss chem/bio contact..  but no symtoms..(unless getting old and fat counts?).  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top