Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 6:56:05 PM EDT
I have had some issues getting into see a recruiter,  but the SERE trainer job is the most interesting looking to me.  Does anyone here know anything about it?  

Also, how is the Air force in general?  I'm going to be enlisting here in a couple weeks, but would like to get some information on it all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#1]
i was at the 342nd with them at medina annex for there initial training.

what do you want to know?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
You would basically be a Survival School Instructor. Teach aircrew how to survive, make shelters, fires etc typical boy scout woodsy stuff. Teach evasion so you get to chase them around in the woods/jungle.

Small career field so advancement is dismall if you want to make rank past SrA.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically,  how is free time in the USAF?  I know the pay isn't the best, but if I tie the knot with my gf, would I get extra benefits for that as well?

What are the chances of getting into the SERE training school?  I don't know if it would be fun to do forever, but it would at least be something interesting and i'd be making more money than I am now, not to mention other benefits to it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Basically,  how is free time in the USAF?  I know the pay isn't the best, but if I tie the knot with my gf, would I get extra benefits for that as well?

What are the chances of getting into the SERE training school?  I don't know if it would be fun to do forever, but it would at least be something interesting and i'd be making more money than I am now, not to mention other benefits to it.

off time in the af is spent doing what you feel like.
if you were married she would get health care and you would get a little more each month, and i mean like a few hundred at most. and you could live in housing after training not in the dorms.

sere is tough physically and mentally its not for everyone. if you do wash out you will be stuck in what job they say to go do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you were married she would get health care and you would get a little more each month, and i mean like a few hundred at most. and you could live in housing after training not in the dorms.

sere is tough physically and mentally its not for everyone. if you do wash out you will be stuck in what job they say to go do.

I won't wash out of that one.  What are the chances of getting there?  I don't know if there are openings or not, but it looks too interesting to not at least give it a shot..  

If you do wash out, what jobs do they give normally?  

And regarding the free time,  is there quite a bit of it?  I had a friend who was USMC and USAF that told me in the usaf it was basically a 9-5 job in uniform. (although I don't see SERE trainer as that)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't wash out of that one.  What are the chances of getting there?  I don't know if there are openings or not, but it looks too interesting to not at least give it a shot..  

If you do wash out, what jobs do they give normally?  

And regarding the free time,  is there quite a bit of it?  I had a friend who was USMC and USAF that told me in the usaf it was basically a 9-5 job in uniform. (although I don't see SERE trainer as that)

not sure if you have to do some kind of physical test prior to even getting a spot, if there is you will need to pass that prior to applying for the job, if you do pass then the wait list for that job is probably long.
and if you wash out then the skys the limit, iv seen people go be cops, i went to be a medic after pj school, cooks nuclear engineers, computer jobs, CE, aircraft mechanic  its pretty random at best.  

yes with most jobs its a 730-430 then go home change and do whatever. with sere id guess theres not as much free time and that you will be in the field for weeks at a time then maybe a few days off then back in the field.

during training though you dont have much free time just a little on the weekends to get stuff ready for the week.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ah, I figured,  should I prepare myself better before I enlist even?  

Also,  do they make good on the repaying college loan debt plan they have?  It pays something like $10,000 of debt.  

You went to PJ school?  

The weatherman, aerial gunner, security forces, Pararescue, Combat Control, and SERE all look good to me...  

I think if I can get an education, some experience, MGI bill, etc.  Then that'd help a lot.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Also,  do they make good on the repaying college loan debt plan they have?  It pays something like $10,000 of debt.  

You went to PJ school?  

The weatherman, aerial gunner, security forces, Pararescue, Combat Control, and SERE all look good to me...  

I think if I can get an education, some experience, MGI bill, etc.  Then that'd help a lot.

they do pay some college back not sure what the current amount is.
i went to pj indoc then quit. just like the other 90% of the dudes there haha.
security force is a no go unless you like working 18hr days putting up with bs and standing at a gate all day. theres a few out there who think its fun but hey its not for me. when your in tuition assistance lets you go to school for free, most take a class at a time depending on your job and off time.
if you have college have you thought about going officer or do you not have the degree?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You went to PJ school?  

they do pay some college back not sure what the current amount is.
i went to pj indoc then quit. just like the other 90% of the dudes there haha.
security force is a no go unless you like working 18hr days putting up with bs and standing at a gate all day. theres a few out there who think its fun but hey its not for me. when your in tuition assistance lets you go to school for free, most take a class at a time depending on your job and off time.
if you have college have you thought about going officer or do you not have the degree?

I have a year in worth of school, but it's really a lot of money and all.  I wanted to see if I could get a degree while in the military then be an officer after completing the enlistment.  The tuition assistance will also pay back what I owe I think.  It said something like $10000, my debt is only about...  $4500 or so.  

I'm just burned out on my job and need to get away for a while.

I looked into USMC, but with Obama in office i'm not too into it.  

Why quit PJ indoc? too hard or something else?   I hear some people that trained a lot for something lose muscle mass through the BMT, but don't know how true that is.

Any info on Weatherman, aerial gunner or combat control? they look interesting too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
pj school is tough and very very few make it through.
cct is  a little better less time in the pool, gunner follows the path of aircrew i tried to get that job but there was no openings the entire year.
weatherman im not sure if you can go straight into i think you have to do weather first the cross train into it but not sure on that one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
also it doenst matter what branch hes still the ass in charge.
and if deploying is a worry of yours with him in office do not do a combat job you will be in iraq or afgan. alot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah,  all the water stuff isn't my favorite in the world to be honest, that's what turned me off shaping up for the SEALs... I could handle it, but I never was a big freak about water.  

What other jobs are in the usaf that are interesting?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#13]
whats fun to you may not be fun to all, think about what you would enjoy after you get out. pick a job that trains you in a job on the outside.
obviously being a cook isnt going to help you that much other than they teach you to run the gym and hotel as well in that job.
but an electrician or plumber gets paid good on the outside so just something to think about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]
i wanted to do law enforcement and/or search and rescue type stuff of some sort afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#15]
even if you are security forces you still have to attend the police academy they wont take you with the mil training its dumb.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
yeah, i understand that.  I figure the experience and all would look good to apply for things, though.  Mainly I'd like to get out, learn something, get some experience, get my school debt taken care of, etc.  

What would be a good job within the usaf?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Go to:  gosere.com   for info on what it takes to be a USAF SERE Instructor.

I flew two tours in Southeast Asia as a gunner on an AC-130,and after the war went to B-52's. Worked aircraft weapons maintenance for a short time also. For me flying on planes was far better than working on them !  

Security Forces- I saw too many SF guys standing guard over my aircraft in hot/freezing weather to wish that on you.

Check out Flight Engineer, Boom Operator, Loadmaster career fields.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Some of the jobs you listed, PJ, FAC, SERE instructor and several other jobs include time away from home.  If you want to stay home with the wife, you might want to consider some other career.  SERE guys seemed to spend a week at a time up in the mountains when classes were running.  PJ's kept pretty busy too.  Our weather folks couldn't not predict rain in a thunderstorm. Security Forces is basically the same as a mall security job only with miserable hours.  While there are a few hundred guys doing something interesting in a war zone, the other 99% are providing basic security on a base for long hours.  In most cases it is a 24/7 job and you won't be relaxing on dayshift and home by 4pm.  If you like the Predator, you will enjoy considerable overseas time as well.  They fly them in war zones after all.  

Quite a few folks in pretty much every career field in the AF end up overseas for deployments or assignments.  Don't be suprised if you are not home with the wife nightly, no matter what you do for a living.  With any luck, she will be home waiting for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,alone.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, the gf understands it.  Her whole family is military and the women come to expect it..  

What would be so fun about Boom operator or Loadmaster?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#20]
My instructor from Survival School at Fairchild AFB was outstanding.

20+ years later and having been out of the Air Force for years now, I still think of his teachings often.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:53:43 AM EDT
[#21]
http://www.afforums.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My instructor from Survival School at Fairchild AFB was outstanding.

20+ years later and having been out of the Air Force for years now, I still think of his teachings often.

Was it an interesting course?

Mainly I want to be able to go to school and have an interesting job.  Even if school is hit or miss I think it would be worth the effort...

Also,  Combat Control isn't too difficult?  What all can they do?  That's actually what I originally wanted to do, but I don't know what I could do afterwards... I'm pretty dead set on law enforcement later, but don't want to get stuck standing at one place all the time.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to go into Security Forces, be mindful of this fact, You will not do any law enforcement until you show that you are mature enough to do the work.  That said you will sit in a bomb dump, flight line, or on a gate wasting away.  As long as you can accept that you will sit on your ass doing nothing until something happens, then go for it.  I would suggest looking into other career fields first.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Fairchild is a nice little AF base....Spokane is a good town as well, lots to do, especially if you like the outdoors..
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Looked at the area,  I'm pretty big into outdoors stuff,  I go on a 3-8 mile hike just about every day...  Not saying i'm a master or anything, but I do want to learn more and all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top