Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:09:04 PM EDT
I'm looking to enlist in the Army in one of the Avionic Mechanic fields not sure what one yet. I see the Army has many jobs in this field and I'm just wanting to know the pros and con's of each of the jobs I'm looking at the 15U ,15T,15R, 15N, 15D and 15G. Thanks

Also I want to know if what I heard was true or not I was told that a few of the UH-60 took Mechanic with them when they fly out on missions as door gunners/ Mechanic in case there is a problem is this true?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a 15B, the only AVNX mos in the 15 series is a 15N, the next closest is 15F which is a helicopter electrician. Both MOS intertwine together, but 15N is an actual Avionic tech. The 15 series MOS isnt a helicopter specific MOS, you work on all of them.

As far as being a "door gunner", the only time that happens is if there is an excess of mechanics in your shop, then you are assigned to a flight company to become a door gunner, If your Commander, First SGT, Platoon Sgt, and Squad Leader find it to where they can spare you. You will go on D.A.R.T. (Downed Aircraft Recovery Team) missions when needed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Also I want to know if what I heard was true or not I was told that a few of the UH-60 took Mechanic with them when they fly out on missions as door gunners/ Mechanic in case there is a problem is this true?[/quote]

Yes it's true.
15T is the best MOS there is.  You can get flight status and ride along.  You can also get door gunner training.  If you go 160th SOAR, they use mini-guns.  Most others use 249SAW or 240B.
Good luck!
If you have any more questions, IM me or e-mail.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Not army, though...

CH-53A/D/E, MH-53E
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also I want to know if what I heard was true or not I was told that a few of the UH-60 took Mechanic with them when they fly out on missions as door gunners/ Mechanic in case there is a problem is this true?

Yes it's true.
15T is the best MOS there is.  You can get flight status and ride along.  You can also get door gunner training.  If you go 160th SOAR, they use mini-guns.  Most others use 249SAW or 240B.
Good luck!
If you have any more questions, IM me or e-mail.
View Quote

I'm not sure it would help my MOS in the Marines was machine gunner. I miss my 240 and M2. How go you get with 160th SOAR? Not the state I want to live in but I think I'd be willing to live in KY for that.

Quoted:

Not army, though...

CH-53A/D/E, MH-53E
View Quote

Gunny my guess is the air wing side of the Marines is a lot better then the Grunt side. What type of job did you get after you got out?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I am now a professional student; courtesy of the Montgomery GI Bill.

The intent is to pursue an electrical engineering degree, with the 20 years of aviation maintenance and acquisition experience to make any future resumes look rather good.
ETA>  I may actually end up working at McDonalds.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
my brother is a helo electrician for Cobras and Hueys in the USMC.. he has deployed quite a bit and seems to enjoy his job.

he just bagged two fuckheads in A-stan with a GAU when returning fire.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not army, though...

CH-53A/D/E, MH-53E

D/E guy here

362 363 HMX

To the OP

There are few things better then flying around shooting shit on the ground from the sky. Seriously
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not army, though...

CH-53A/D/E, MH-53E

D/E guy here

362 363 HMX

To the OP

There are few things better then flying around shooting shit on the ground from the sky. Seriously

I was only in a helo once in the Marines we where flying out of are AO heading home and the door gunner did not know how to work the 50 cal my Staff Sgt told the a$$ hat to sit down and put me behind the gun (I was a 0331) after I stripped the M2 down cleaned all the crap out of it then it could go to full load. The guy had it at half load for 3 weeks never cleaned it. I was hoping like hell to shoot at something but 30mins and not a thing to shoot! When I was looking to reenlist in the Marines I wanted to do that guys job hot meals every night(MRE's don't count) cold bed to sleep in you fly everywhere so no humping your gear and a nice shower everyday!

I hope to talk with a recruiter soon I have a lot of questions and a lot of them he is going to have to look up and I know it will take time. I'd like the answer to them before I go even in to talk to them! Not going to screw up this time like I did the last time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top