Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/6/2002 5:10:31 AM EDT
Does anyone have any good military quotes? One of my favorites..."We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."  George Orwell

If you guys have any please post them here.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The Comander at Bastone,when told that he was completly surronded by the Germans"The poor bastards,we got them right where we want them"
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
from the movie ZULU
"...one day you'll look down, only to discover the trail your blazing is already a well beaten path".
from my batallion commander "it's good training son".
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
"SGT, I cant stand it when you guys show up.  You come here, do your mission and leave and for the next 6 months I have to deal with my troops growing facial hair and sideburns, wearing nomex gloves, sewing glow tape on their BDU caps and calling them patrol caps, using 550 cord as boot laces, The Dam Oakley Sunglasses and last but not least wanting to call each other by their first names.  There are times when I feel that no mission is important enough for the upheaval you cause just by being in my AO."

To remain un named(I actually cant remember his name) CSM of a MECH Infantry BN at CMTC

lucasf
"Win the Mind Win the Day" 9th POB(A)
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There was a pretty good one in "Band of Brothers" where Cpt Winters says "We're paratroopers, Lt, we're SUPPOSED to be surrounded." I thought that was pretty good.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Comander at Bastone,when told that he was completly surronded by the Germans"The poor bastards,we got them right where we want them"
View Quote

I thought that that quote was from Chesty Puller in Korea.

The Bastone quote is "NUTS" when asked to surrender.  Not sure who the general was.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
"a good plan today is better than a perfect plan two weeks from now" or words to that effect, goerge patton
"no plan survives initial contact with the enemy" ?
"he who attempts to defend everything, defends nothing" von clauswitz
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#8]
who was it that said "all that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Bastone quote is "NUTS" when asked to surrender.  Not sure who the general was.
View Quote

macauliffe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
"I'm gonna knock the dawg shit otta yew, slick..."

TSgt Ferry
First Day, Basic Training
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
"this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.."
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#13]
"Give me an army of West Point graduates, and I'll win a battle.  Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win a WAR."

George Patton
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
"The only tactical principle which is not subject to change is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction upon the enemy in the minimum amount of time."  GEN George S. Patton
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#15]
"If you've ever been in a fair fight your tactics suck !"

(A retired E-8 SEAL whose name I can't remember)
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Some quotes simply have no larger meaning.

"Awww shit....Right full rudder,  all ahead flank, give me a 40 degree down bubble, diving officer - report your depth in hundreds, flood tubes one and four - open outer doors - I need a firing solution people...... "

(Some Submarine Captain whose name I no longer remember.)
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn the torpedos!!!  Full Speed ahead!
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#18]
During WWII, a grunt from the 82nd ABN said "Were the 82nd and this is as far as the bastards are going". Does anyone know the history of this? Another favorite: "Dont forget nothing"-Rogers Rangers Standing order #1.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#19]
#1. situation normal.(ALLFKUP) #2. FUBAR. #3. if the enemy is in range so are you.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
- author unknown
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
During WWII, a grunt from the 82nd ABN said "Were the 82nd and this is as far as the bastards are going". Does anyone know the history of this? Another favorite: "Dont forget nothing"-Rogers Rangers Standing order #1.

Ranger Out
View Quote

The story was that it was at the Battle of the Bulge when the commander of a tank unit stopped by a fighting position to ask an infantryman where a secure area was.  

The paratrooper allegedly said, "Right behind me.  This is the 82nd Airborne and this is as far as the bastards are going."  
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Victory belongs to the most persevering.
--Napoleon Bonaparte--

From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.
--Thomas Jefferson--

We have met the enemy and they are ours!
--Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, 1813--

Veni, Vedi, Vici (I came, I saw, I conquered)
--Julius Caesar--  

War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
--William Tecumseh Sherman--

Freedom isn't free.
--Anonymous--

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.  Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
--Winston Churchill--

If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't move, pick it up; and if you can't pick it up, paint it.
--Anonymous (1940's saying)--

The 'eathen in 'is blindness must end where 'e began. But the backbone of the Army is the non-commissioned man!
--Rudyard Kipling--

Soldiers are men...most apt for all manner of services and best able to support and endure the infinite toils and continual hazards of war.
--Henry Knyvett--

A soldier is he whose blood makes the glory of the general.
--Adapted from Henry G. Bohn--

* Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats.
--Josephus Daniels--

Two armies are two bodies which meet and try to frighten each other.
--Napoleon I--

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a  difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.
--Ronald Reagan--

A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living.
--John F. Kennedy--

A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.
--Admiral David D. Porter, USN--

Diplomats are just as essential in starting a war as soldiers are in finishing it.
--Will Rogers--

Soldiers usually win the battles and generals get the credit for them.
--Napoleon Bonaparte--

We make war that we may live in peace.
--Aristotle--

Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war.
--Ernest Miller Hemmingway--

The number of medals on an officer's breast varies in inverse proportion to the square of the distance of his duties from the front line.
--Charles Edward Montague--

Always forgive your enemies--nothing annoys them so much.
--Oscar Wilde--

Being in the army is like being in the Boy Scouts, except that the Boy Scouts have adult supervision.
--Blake Clark--

Discipline is simply the art of making the soldiers fear their officers more than the enemy.
--Helvetius--

Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.
--Samuel Johnson--

Now I recall the Recon Marines ragged, filthy cammie shirted young men in green paint who move silent like the fog with deadly purpose in their eyes. Swift, Silent, Deadly. I smile. -
--GYSGT Correll, USMC, Retired-- Recon Marine

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#24]
When you're wounded out on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Then just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
And die like a good British soldier!
- Kipling

The b*****ds have never been bombed like they're going to be bombed this time.
- Nixon

If you're not gonna pull the trigger, don't point the gun.
- Baker

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.
- Bumper Sticker

Re-Nuke Japan
- Bumper Sticker

he battle of Iwo Jima has been won. Among the Americans who served on Iwo, uncommon valor was a common virtue.
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set  them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and   the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet.
- An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.
- General Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC

To ERR is human, to FORGIVE divine. HOWEVER, neither is Marine Corps Policy.
- Unknown

The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand.
-Richard Harding Davis, war correspondent (1885)

We're not retreating, Hell! We're just attacking
in different direction!
- General Oliver Smith, USMC  

Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
- Jesus
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Half A Wing, Three Engines and a Prayer
- Book Title

"Though shalt not Kill"
- God Almighty
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#26]
be right back. GEN.CUSTARD
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#27]
"Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, sixty rounds powder and ball, and be ready to march at a minutes warning."-Rogers Rangers Standing Order #2

"There is no hunting like the hunting of armed men, and those that have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never care for anything thereafter."-Ernest Hemingway

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
ONE SHOT ONE KILL CARLOS HATHCOCK.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]
"Rock of the Marne" - Many 3ID'ers past and present.

"praise the lord and pass the ammunition" - 3ID, part of the divisional "hymn"

"Don't fire 'til you see the whites of their eyes" - Maj. Prescott

"We have not yet begun to fight" - Capt. John Paul Jones
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
"The raising of that flag (Iwo Jima) guarantees a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."  James(?) Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy, 1945
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#31]
1:  There I was knee deep in grenade pins when the third wave hit the wire

2:  This aint no sh*t

3:  If it aint raining, it aint training

4:  Nothin' but a thing

5:  F U

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
be right back. GEN.CUSTARD
View Quote

"Mustard's Last Stand"

(The name of a now defunct hot dog stand in Tampa.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#33]
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT
(Paris Sorbonne,1910)
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Home is where you dig it-Khe Sanh was home.

Is life so sweet,or peace so dear,as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
God no I say.
I know not what others may think,but as for me,give me liberty or give me death.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 4:03:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Friendly fire isn't.

Unknown

MIKE
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#36]
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best. -Voltaire

I would rather have a nod from an American, than a snuff-box from an emperor. - Lord Byron
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#37]
my favorite one was one i read about.jerry"mad dog"shriver's recon team was surrounded in laos,when the FAC informed him the situation looked bad,he replied"negetive,i've got'em right where i want'em.surrounded from the inside".
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#38]
October 2001
Taliban supreme leader, Mullah Mohammed Omar:
"The situation where we are now, there are two things:  either death or victory.  To those who are fighting and bombarding us, they should understand the afghan man is a fighter willing to die for jihad."

June 1944
U.S. General George S. Patton
"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#39]
One of my favorites was by Wavell...

"Always remember your Regiment, in all things."

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Diplomacy is like saying "down dog, nice doggie, down" in a calm voice, while looking for a stick to clobber it with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#41]
"Let the enemy come till he's almost close enough to touch. Then let him have it and jump out and finish him up with your hatchet."-Rogers Rangers Standing Orders #19

Kind of reminds me of the scene in "The Patriot" where Mel wacks on the British Soldier with his tomahawk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#42]
"If it flies, It dies"
USAF Security Police (STINGER, 51st SPS)
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#43]
"Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off"-Colin Powell on Leadership
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
"Any officer can get by on his sergeants. To be a sergeant you have to know your stuff. I'd rather be an outstanding sergeant than just another officer."
-Gunny Dan Daly. USMC
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#45]
"If you think your attack is going rather well, it's probably an ambush"  -Anonymous

Regarding fleeing Taliban soliders:  "They can run but they'll just die tired."

"And where is the prince who can afford so to cover his country with troops for its defense as that ten thousand men descending from the clouds might not in many places do an infinite deal of mischief before a force could be brought together to repel them."  -Benjamin Franklin, 1784

"American parachutists - devils in baggy pants - are less than 100 meters from my outpost line.  Seems like the black hearted devils are everywhere."  -Found in a diary of a German officer who opposed the 504th Parachute Infantry at Anzio (1943-44).

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

The number of medals on an officer's breast varies in inverse proportion to the square of the distance of his duties from the front line.
--Charles Edward Montague--

Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats.
--Josephus Daniels--

...SUA SPONTE...

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#47]
"and you madam are ugly, very ugly!  In the morning I shall be sober"  , Winston Churchill, after being told by a woman at a party that he was "drunk, very drunk"
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I like to collect quotes, here are a few:

You know, it reminds me of a Zen story at a time when there was much warfare in Japan.  The monastery was ransacked.  A general came in and he saw the Zen monk praying, and he came up to him with his sword, and he said, "Don't you know, I'm a man who can run you through with this sword without blinking an eye?"....  The monk looked up at him and said, "Don't you know, I'm a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"  With that the general put his sword down.

We are a society of warriors in search of a king.  Robert Blye

"Our gods are dead.  Klingon warriors slew them, millennia ago. They were more trouble than they were worth."  - Worf

"A Nation is never conquered until... the hearts of its women are on the ground."
Tsistsistas (Cheyenne) Proverb

Only a warrior can choose the path of peace...
All others must beg and plead for it.

When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword at his side. - Ho Yen-Hsi

Nature intended women to be our slaves... they are our property, we are not theirs.
They belong to us, just as a tree that bears fruit belongs to the gardener.
What a mad idea to demand equality for women!
Women are nothing but machines for producing children. Napoleon Bonaparte

"I am now, as before, a Catholic and will always remain so" -- Adolph Hitler, to Gen. Gerhard Engel, 1941

God kills... all those who fail, to kill themselves. mina loy

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#49]
*NEVER SHARE A FOXHOLE WITH ANYONE BRAVER THAN YOU
*IF THE ENEMY IS IN RANGE....SO ARE YOU
*TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL...IT GIVES THE ENEMY OTHER PEOPLE TO SHOOT AT
*YOUR WEAPON WAS MADE BY THE LOWEST BIDDER
*WHEN THE ATTACK IS GOING REALLY GOOD...ITS AN AMBUSH
*WHEN YOUR SHORT OF EVERYTHING BUT THE ENEMY...YOUR IN CONTACT
*IF YOU CANT REMEMBER...THE CLAYMORE IS POINTED TOWARD YOU
*THE ONLY THING MORE ACCURATE THAN INCOMING FIRE..IS INCOMMING FREINDLY FIRE
*TRACERS WORK BOTH WAYS
*RECOILESS RIFLES...ARENT
*SUPPRESIVE FIRES....WONT
*FREINDLY FIRE...ISNT
*WHEN IN DOUBT...EMPTY THE MAGAZINE
*IF ITS STUPID,BUT WORKS, IT ISNT STUPID
*THE EASY WAY IS ALWAYS MINED
*NO OPLAN EVER SURVIVES FIRST CONTACT
*THE ENEMY DIVERSION YOUR IGNORING...IS PROBABLY THIER MAIN ATTACK
*WHEN YOUVE SECURED AN AREA...DONT FORGET TO INFORM THE ENEMY

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#50]
"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine"
Soviet Army document

"The reason the Ameican army does so well in wartime, is that war is choas, and the American Army practices chaos on a daily basis"
German General WWII

Fortune favors the brave
Virgil

"if a man is not inclined to risk his life for his own country, he should look elswhere till he finds a country he will risk his life for"
Admiral Spruance WWII US Naval Commander
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top