Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 7:27:19 PM EDT
What country/city did you have the most fun when it came to "partying?" What were some of the highlights/memorable experiences?  

I'd have to say that Subic City, Philippines was the best (although Bangkok, Thailand is a close second).  Loved the Red Horse beer (cheap and strong), cheap bar fines ($5.00), no shore patrol, and the crazy names of the bars (Superhead Inn, Muff Divers, and etc). I remember being in the field and seeing Subic City on the map.  A few of us actually contemplated humping over to Subic City one night, but realized that was a bad idea.

Dan
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Subic City, Olongapo City when two carrier groups are in port is Mardi Gras to the power of Ten. I played a great game of "Smiles" at Marilyns Super Head Inn back in 84.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in Berlin just during/after the fall of the Berlin Wall.  Forget Nawleans, Forget Nueva Jork.  Berlin was ROCKING!  Actually, West Berlin was always rocking.  Nothing like being the only free, western city hundreds of miles into East Germany to give you that "End of The World" feeling.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Nurnberg, Germany! Ahhh, the "Nashville" on Rock nights, the "green Goose," the "Rock House," the "Irish Pub," and many more others! Once at the "Nashville", me and this other guy were gettin' a little blasted, and he had to go to the can, but since he was so drunk, I had to walk behind him and sort of steer him in the right direction. Somebody thought we were starting a train I guess, because we kept gathering up people, and every time we got close to the john, somebody would steer (I forget his name) away from it, and he'd just wobble on off. After awhile, we ended up with about 50 people, all holding onto the person in front of them, weaving our way through the crowd. We got seperated, and I later found him passed out under the sinks in the ladies' room. Strange, but none of the women in there seemed to mind his prescence. Another friend of mine met his wife there, after passing out in her lap. I would have to say that Augsburg's "Rock Fabrik" ranks on up there, too, but it couldn't touch the "Nashville."
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you like wild parties try:

Laughlin, Nevada

Tijuana, Mexico (just south of San Diego)

I used to be a heavy partier in both towns
"back in the day" (1980's).
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Sukebe, I forgot about "smiles."  How could I forget?!  I had to buy a round of Mojo when I lost.  Olongapo was fun, but "free samples" could only be found in Subic City.  Peso shows were pretty cool too.  I never made it to Angeles City - I heard of some wild stuff at the Nippa Hut. I always wanted to see the basket show, but never did.  Those were the days!!

Dan
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a tie.
Every foreign country and every foreign port I ever visited.
(Yeah, Subic and Olongapo are on that list + Sasebo, Yokusuka, New Castle, McKay (Australia), Hong Kong,..... .

[:D]    [:D]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I can't pick just one.. Here are 3 in no particular order... Alicante (sp) and Barcelona Spain and Corfu Greece.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Yokusuka?  The only place I remember well there was Tompopos [}:D]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have to say Panama City Panama with Caracas Venezuela comming in a close second.  Ah the good old days of drinking cerveza Panama in the Grenade Sump (My Place Bar and Grill)

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Cancun, Mexico

10pm - 6am all you can drink... $10

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ahh  ...   The "Green Goose"...   Loved that place..  Austin Texas was pretty fun...
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Texas Street in Pusan Korea!!

Itewon up in Seoul was awesome also!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Texas Street in Pusan Korea!!
View Quote

GAWD!!!! The women all smelled like kimchi and the water was worse than in Mexico!!! ARGHHH!!! Olongapo, Barrio Barretto, Subic City, and Perth/Freemantle. Never made it to Thailand, but I've heard that Taipei, Taiwan beat all of those by a long shot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Spent about six months in Taipei - not bad, not bad at all.

[:D]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Bankok, Thailand gets my vote.  The place was awesome in the late 60's, with some of the most beautiful women anywhere.  I also spent a year and a half in the Philippines.   Angeles City and Olongapo were a young, single man's dream.  The all night rate was about $5.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Brazil.  Rio for the beaches, Sao Paulo for the night life, Bahia for pretty much everything.

If I were thinking about retiring somewhere tropical, Rio would be at the top of the list. US Dollars beat inflation as a hard currency.

If you want English-speaking, try some of the ex-British islands in the Carribean. Good beer, nice people.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
In no particular order: Po town PI.(been in every bar in town), Honcho street district in Yoko (ditto Po town), Kin Red Beach Okinawa, Hong Kong, and Bangkok but the most memorable "party" was the weekly beer bust on the Mekong River.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Nawalins'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top