Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2009 11:15:29 AM EDT
Is there a time of year when enlistments are down and there are more slots open for popular MOS's?  I'm guessing that summer is the worst time to enlist because of all the high school grads.  I'm trying for Army intelligence and want to maximize my chances to get a 35 MOS.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Also consider the time of year and weather at the basic training and post where you have AIT.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
end of the year is better, at the begining of the physcal year is when most mos's open up. so Ive been told.  

they project the years needs based on retention , but I do belive they start everything over again for the physcal year ..

this happens around September I think???
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Fiscal year starts 01 Oct not 01 Jan.    Get in there and start talking now, just don't ink a contract till you have what you want.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there still such a thing as DEP?

I had to wait 11 months DEP to get my MOS, but I wsn’t going to settle for anything else. They tried to convince me otherwise at the MEPS, but I didn’t budge. Back then, DEP time counted for TIS too.

I think that is still the case.

They really try to strong arm kids, though.  The fear of just needing to go through the whole MEPS process again is enough to get many to accept less than what they wanted.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
End of calendar year=start of fiscal year

Shoot for going to Basic in the Spring.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
End of calendar year=start of fiscal year

Shoot for going to Basic in the Spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_year#United_States

United States government fiscal year for 2009 ("FY09", sometimes written "FY08–09") is as follows:

1st Quarter: October 1, 2008 – December 31, 2008
2nd Quarter: January 1, 2009 – March 31, 2009
3rd Quarter: April 1, 2009 – June 30, 2009
4th Quarter: July 1, 2009 – September 30, 2009

The U.S. government's fiscal year begins on October 1 of the previous calendar year and ends on September 30 of the year with which it is numbered. Prior to 1976, the fiscal year began on July 1 and ended on June 30. The Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974 stipulated the change to allow Congress more time to arrive at a budget each year, and provided for what is known as the "transitional quarter" from July 1, 1976 to September 30, 1976. As stated above, the tax year for a business is governed by the fiscal year it chooses.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want 35 series and have the scores to qualify, then you should be able to get what you want any time of the year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can wait this long, December.  It was the toughest month to make quota, the uneducated (not familiar with recruiting) think that as soon as you enlist, you have to ship.  Potential recruits though that if they enlisted in December, they would be sitting in Parris Island for Christmas.

We used to find all kinds of progarms for high school grads in November/December. January was when the high school senior market started opening up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
west point and rotc all send their cadets to schools over summer.... soooo if you want airborne or ranger time your basic training out so that you arent finishing ait during summer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Stay out of Ft. Benning during the summer months.  I guarantee the runs at Sand Hill get easier in cooler weather.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 8:28:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Stay out of Ft. Benning during the summer months.  I guarantee the runs at Sand Hill get easier in cooler weather.

....SO NOW YOU TELL ME

3 weeks from now I'll be there .  Gonna be a fun 7 months
Link Posted: 6/19/2009 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is there still such a thing as DEP?

I had to wait 11 months DEP to get my MOS, but I wsn’t going to settle for anything else. They tried to convince me otherwise at the MEPS, but I didn’t budge. Back then, DEP time counted for TIS too.

I am with you Quib.  

I joined in 1986 and was on DEP for 4 months since I was going into a cohort unit.  However, my DD214 shows the day I reported to MEPS not joined.  

Good times! 17 years old, lying in my bunk and wondering what the hell I have gotten myself into!  
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:39:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Heres a different asspect.

Enlist on the first day of the month.  That way you get a full monthy pay check for the first month and when you retire your retirement date is also on the last of the month.  Your put on the retirement rolls on the first of the month (ALWAYS)  That way your not stuck with 24 yrs, 3 mos and 27 days.  Also do it on the 1st of Janurary for that's when the pay raises go in, same for retirement.  Never retire on 31 Dec, do 31 Janauary as your last day of active duty to get the next FY pay raise.  Yes, the fiscal year starts in Oct but raises aren't until Jan.

CD
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
You need to be more concerned about when you go to basic training. Consider leaving in March, so you avoid the worst of the heat and cold.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I graduated from Ft. Benning in August 2000 after 14 awesome weeks of heat and humidity. I lost 30 lbs in the process.

Sully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top