Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:31:25 AM EDT
Anyone know of a better way for the STUPID skill badge to remain on the uniform? I HATE wearing them but an E9 in an echelon above reality command noticed I wasnt wearing mine nor wearing my "i was in afghanistan and all i got for it was this stupid thing on my right sleeve" patch.  He told the BG and the BG told my O6 to tell me to wear the stupid things. My argument was that it tends to snag and never stays on anyway.

I lost the argument.  

Here were some suggestions from my troops and senior NCO:

1. Use pencil erasers. Great, I thought. Go to SSSC, raid the stores for all the pencils and remove the erasers - then return the now broken and useless pencils back into the SSSC closet for some unsupecting E9 to find and try to use.

2. Bend the pins back on my wings.  Another great idea. This should ensure that the bent pins will only puncture my skin from an 89 degree angle instead of the head-on approach.

3. Dont wear them (Not an option as my O6 is afraid of the BG).  

Any suggestions? The magnetic idea is great but I heard some guy is sitting on the patent and he wont let it go forward without some huge cash payout from somebody.  I guess the magnetic idea is dead.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Punch a couple holes in an old credit card and wear it under the acu shirt.  Bend the pin back in the card once they are through.  You can even leave them in when you wash it if you turn it inside out.

Edit:  For the patches I just had two corners sewn on.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#2]
This is one of the two reasons I don't wear any badges.  The other reason is that everyone has wings and a CIB, so they can probably just take them out of the system now.  I did start wearing a combat patch once someone walked up and placed it on my shoulder without being asked.

Until I get a similar talking to I'm not wearing anything.  I hope you find a workable solution.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What're they going to do if you don't wear a non-required item, send you to Iraq?
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Punch a couple holes in an old credit card and wear it under the acu shirt.  Bend the pin back in the card once they are through.  You can even leave them in when you wash it if you turn it inside out.

On a related note, I use the cardboard that the badge came on/in.

NTM
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The cardboard or credit card stiffens the area so there is less sag.  Just like you are probably already doing on your Class As and Dress Blues.

The best thing I can think of otherwise is to toss the cheap brass clutches ("dammits" or whatever you call them) and get the better ones.  They only come 2 per pack, and are more expensive, but they are much more secure, and the pin doens't wear a hole in the end to jab into your skin.  

Clothing Sales usually has them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m proud of my badges (Aviator Wings and CAB), but I’m not a fan of pin on items on a duty uniform either…

They can put Velcro all over the damn ACUs but can’t make Velcro badges???
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I’m proud of my badges (Aviator Wings and CAB), but I’m not a fan of pin on items on a duty uniform either…

They can put Velcro all over the damn ACUs but can’t make Velcro badges???

Supposedly it would defeat the purpose having them removeable since there'd be the loop portion still on the uniform.  It would be obvious that you had something.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Why not just make the ACUs with a large patch of velcro there for everyone?  Just like the shoulders.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
This is madness.

Skill badges are optional wear.  What kind of REMF pogue-ass CSM cares?

I can't remember the last time I wore jump wings on a duty uniform - but it was probably the last time I wore BDUs.  I never even had 'em sewn onto my DCUs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 3:43:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of us in aviation don't wear our wings because you have to take them off while on the plane anyway.  I thought the same thing as some posted above.  Why not just put another piece of velcro there for the badges?

As a side note, are there really that many troops having to go sterile at this point?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't know. When I was in when someone above you told you to do something you did it. Guess that day is dead. I know skill badges were sense of pride for most people I served with. Guess that day is dead too but then again like one guy said everyone has wings, guess they give those away too now.  I understand the ACU pin on badges are stupid but I think I would still be wearing my stuff.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#12]
As already stated this is stupid as shit. What are they trying to prove by making you wear your badges? He should worry about getting his unit squared away instead of wasting his time on useless shit.

They need to create sew on badges it would alleviate all the problems, including having even more annoying ass velcro on the uniform.

ETA:  I understand the badges, but why no combat patch?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As already stated this is stupid as shit. What are they trying to prove by making you wear your badges? He should worry about getting his unit squared away instead of wasting his time on useless shit.

They need to create sew on badges it would alleviate all the problems, including having even more annoying ass velcro on the uniform.

When you don't have a fucking clue as to what you should be doing or how to do it, start quoting regs to confuse the onlookers.

ETA:  I understand the badges, but why no combat patch?

You have to buy it yourself.  I've only been given the unit patch and tabs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I didn't wear them when they were sew on.
Sure as hell ain't wearing them now.
Especially when I got 4 in 3 different sizes.  There is no way to put them on right.

They should have just said, "No badges on ACUs" and be done with it.

Whats funny is that you don't wear ACUs in combat.  You wear the fire retardent stuff.  So the Army Combat Uniform is really just a garrison and training uniform only.

Also, can't wear big red one combat patch right below your non-subdued flag
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you don't have a fucking clue as to what you should be doing or how to do it, start quoting regs to confuse the onlookers.

I wonder what the reg is that requires you to wear your optional skill badges.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no reg that orders you to wear skill badges, however you can be lawfully told to wear them. My opinion is if your earned it then it's your choice regardless of rank you earned the badge so you also earned the right not to wear it also.

If you are ordered to wear it then it should also be issued because technically it becomes an additional clothing bag item. Just like sew on rank back in the BDU days if your unit requires it they are required to pay to have it sewn on. I can't remember the paragraph but it's in the first few pages of 670-1. I had this battle before with being required to buy a stupid bow tie.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#17]
The only uniform where you have to wear it all is Class As...

I don't wear mine, because it's pointless... Raccoon Bait is for dress uniforms, not work uniforms...

Well that, and all pin-on shit is a safety violation when working on aircraft...
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I didn't wear them when they were sew on.
Sure as hell ain't wearing them now.
Especially when I got 4 in 3 different sizes.  There is no way to put them on right.

They should have just said, "No badges on ACUs" and be done with it.

Whats funny is that you don't wear ACUs in combat.  You wear the fire retardent stuff.  So the Army Combat Uniform is really just a garrison and training uniform only.

Also, can't wear big red one combat patch right below your non-subdued flag

Well, SOME folks do wear ACUs on deployment - or at least DID back when I was over there (January)...

That said, they did NOT allow badges in theater... Good thing too...

Yep, should be 'no badges on ACUs, ever' - but then certain units would get butt-hurt over not being able to show off how cool their folks were with 3+ badges....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Most of us in aviation don't wear our wings because you have to take them off while on the plane anyway.  I thought the same thing as some posted above.  Why not just put another piece of velcro there for the badges?

As a side note, are there really that many troops having to go sterile at this point?

CENTCOM (or MNF-I, don't remember which) reg for everyone in theater - no badges....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Skill badges are optional wear.  What kind of REMF pogue-ass CSM cares?

Probably the same kind who wonders why Aviation troops (in Iraq) wear PT caps with ACUs, or why after 2 or 3 other CSMs and COLs (including the CSM and LTC of the unit running the guard post) go through the chow line, the ID checkers don't stop the line and call 'At Ease' for his ass.....

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:06:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Non required item. I don't see why he is making such an issue out of you wearing what you want on your uniform, as long as you are authorized everything you DO wear.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#22]
A big patch of velcro on the chest....

Well that just plain makes too much sense!  What are ya'll thinking?

The pin ons are a pain in the ass.  It's why nobody wore them when sew ons were authorised.  Take them off for washing, then put them back on making sure they are straight, and at the right height.  Especially for those that have multiple badges.  Then remove them for the field, and anytime you are near the flightline.  They tend to fall out and get lost easily.  The finish wears off so you have to repaint them (I've heard that Duracoat works well, as does Aluminahyde II) or buy new ones all the time.  The wear resistant ones that can be purchased are an improvement, but cost almost 2x, and will still eventually wear off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have to wear them.  my platoon actually took an ass chewing the day we returned from work after coming back from iraq because we werent wearing them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have to wear them.

Local policy here is to wear your wings at a minimum while in garrison.  A royal pain in the ass.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Well I am actually PROUD to wear my badges. ALL OF THEM..........

I am a self admitted Badge Finder too. While I don't always wear them ALL, I am never without my Master Blaster at a minimum. Except when I was in Iraq and they were not authorized. But even then I had them sewn on my tan flight suits that I wore most days.

I wish they would hurry up and authorize sewn on badges though, cause I am getting tired of the pin ons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Since I've had ACUs', I haven't worn any badges.  No problems at all.  I'm at a new duty station now though so I put the SSI on the right sleeve.  It's just so I can fit into this new crowd.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Why not just make the ACUs with a large patch of velcro there for everyone?  Just like the shoulders.

Because they want to discourage wear of badges on ACUs...

IMHO they should have just un-authorized them for the ACU....
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I am a self admitted Badge Finder too. While I don't always wear them ALL, I am never without my Master Blaster at a minimum. Except when I was in Iraq and they were not authorized. But even then I had them sewn on my tan flight suits that I wore most days.

I wish they would hurry up and authorize sewn on badges though, cause I am getting tired of the pin ons.

Master Blaster? you got crabs?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The flying snowcone guys use the same term for their master-parachutist badge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I digress........dig it
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I was talking about.....my Master Parachutist Badge, I should have clarified for all the LEGS OH and five jump chumps

ETA: And there is only one true MASTER BLASTER badge in the Army, anything else called Master Blaster and not a Master Parachutist badge, shouldn't be called such. IMO
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is what I was talking about.....my Master Parachutist Badge, I should have clarified for all the LEGS OH and five jump chumps

ETA: And there is only one true MASTER BLASTER badge in the Army, anything else called Master Blaster and not a Master Parachutist badge, shouldn't be called such. IMO

Neither the world nor the Army revolve around the Airborne, despite what many in the Army believe.  In many ways, that community is like the fighter mafia in the Air Force - clinging desperately to a mythos keep themselves relevent.  A Master EOD tech holds much more respect from me than a master parachutist.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I found these rubber dambits at Camp Rob in little Rock AR they worked pretty well at snugging your badges against the uniform. Honestly I don't think Soldiers should try so hard to make their uniform too crisp and straight. Especialy us Enlisted folks granted their is a time and place to look nice but I would much rather look like I put in a honest days work doing Soldier stuff like training and maintaing equipment. Hopefully the tax payers will think they are getting their moneys worth out of me.

I graduated Army Airborne school done a few joint service missions and jumped with the Navy. I might end up on jump status again depending on my next duty assignment. I guess I never heard of it called that or atleast I thought they were talking about master explosive ordnance disposal technicians.

Do you get demo pay or AIP for all the blasting you do?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Neither the world nor the Army revolve around the Airborne, despite what many in the Army believe.  In many ways, that community is like the fighter mafia in the Air Force - clinging desperately to a mythos keep themselves relevent.  A Master EOD tech holds much more respect from me than a master parachutist.

Much like many officers desperately try to keep themselves and their opinions relevent. I am sure that you are neither a Master EOD tech nor a Master Parachutist, so your opinion is in no way relevant. You don't have a clue what it takse to be either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I found these rubber dambits at Camp Rob in little Rock AR they worked pretty well at snugging your badges against the uniform. Honestly I don't think Soldiers should try so hard to make their uniform too crisp and straight. Especialy us Enlisted folks granted their is a time and place to look nice but I would much rather look like I put in a honest days work doing Soldier stuff like training and maintaing equipment. Hopefully the tax payers will think they are getting their moneys worth out of me.

I graduated Army Airborne school done a few joint service missions and jumped with the Navy. I might end up on jump status again depending on my next duty assignment. I guess I never heard of it called that or atleast I thought they were talking about master explosive ordnance disposal technicians.

Do you get demo pay or AIP for all the blasting you do?

Back in the day, (and I mean WAY back in the Day) a jump was reffered to as a BLAST since that is what happened when you opened the door of the aircraft. You were blasted with wind.  I don't know when this phrase was coined, but it was long before my time.

Until very recently, an EOD tech, much less a Master EOD tech were few and far between.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#36]
take one of those cards with the army values and soldiers creed on it and put it behind your badge under the uniform thats what one of my sgts did and it solved the problem for him credit card will work too
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I don't know. When I was in when someone above you told you to do something you did it. Guess that day is dead. I know skill badges were sense of pride for most people I served with. Guess that day is dead too but then again like one guy said everyone has wings, guess they give those away too now.  I understand the ACU pin on badges are stupid but I think I would still be wearing my stuff.

When half the people in your platoon have more than 36 months of combat deployment, airborne school and similar seem a little less important.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much like many officers desperately try to keep themselves and their opinions relevent. I am sure that you are neither a Master EOD tech nor a Master Parachutist, so your opinion is in no way relevant. You don't have a clue what it takse to be either.

Ooooohh - my feewings are hurt.  I know which one is more likely to make the owner a blowhard, however.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I wear badges in garrison, however, I've always wonderd what would happen if the Army ended the wear of badges, tabs, etc.  How much less interest would there be in airborne, air assault, Ranger, etc; schools if no fancy badge or tab was awarded?  A few years back, when the sapper tab came out, Army Times ran an article saying that the Army was considering adding a recon badge for LRS graduates.  The LRS school received something like a brief 800% increase in inquiries after the article.  Apparently recon, OP operations, reporting and mission planning were not particularly interesting topics, but add the possibility of silver wings with an OP symbol in the middle being awarded and that school was suddenly in demand.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I wear badges in garrison, however, I've always wonderd what would happen if the Army ended the wear of badges, tabs, etc.  How much less interest would there be in airborne, air assault, Ranger, etc; schools if no fancy badge or tab was awarded?  A few years back, when the sapper tab came out, Army Times ran an article saying that the Army was considering adding a recon badge for LRS graduates.  The LRS school received something like a brief 800% increase in inquiries after the article.  Apparently recon, OP operations, reporting and mission planning were not particularly interesting topics, but add the possibility of silver wings with an OP symbol in the middle being awarded and that school was suddenly in demand.

So true.

Many moons ago, as an ROTC cadet, I had tried to finagle a slot to Mountain Warfare school at Norwich w/ the Vermont Guard.  I did all the right things to make the cadre there happy, and was promised a slot.  I remember being devasted when no slots were offered that summer.  I was sent to jump out of a plane as a consolation prize.

Anyway, a friend of mine - in a nod to make me feel better - says to me, "why would you want to go to Mountain Warfare school, anyway - there's no badge?"  That mindset is rampant in certain communities.  Interestingly, stick around the Army for a while and you may find yourself in communities where there are no badges or badge chasers - and thus hovering happily below the radar.

I have to admit, I did enjoy my time in the Cav - even though the stetson and spurs are unofficial.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 4:52:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Absolutely right.
Thats why they have badges.
To encourage soldiers to go to tough schools to develop skills the army needs.
Thats why they shit the CIB, CMB Airborne everything.  What do you think the purpose behind awards for valor is?

How many fewer rangers and the leadership techniques they learned would be out in the army leading soldiers?

Badges have their place and purpose.  ACUs aren't one of them, however.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:12:45 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
 I know which one is more likely to make the owner a blowhard, however.

<---has a master parachutist badge; I got it in 2000 after 8 long years in the 82nd or in Vicenza doing N/CE/MT jumps all over Bragg and Europe.  Jumpmaster school was not easy and trying to get duties, particularly a night hang, can be difficult.  Once we were on the ground we spent plenty of field time just like any other light infantry brigade.  I'm not a 'blowhard" or a badgefinder, and neither are the people I work with.  Also, considering I'm on my sixth airborne assignment, I guess I'm part or that mafia.  It seems that I've still gotten around to contribute to the rest of the Army, either by a recruiting tour or a tour as an OC.  It's just that large motor pools and big metal things with tracks scare me.

You are correct in your assessment that there is a bit of arrogance in the airborne mafia.  Most of it is healthy and stays within the unit to instill esprit de corps, but some BS does get out.

Whether or not the large scale parachute assault is viable today is not my call.  The Army wants to have another option in forced entry capability, and 6 conventional BCTs(4 at Bragg, 1 in Europe, and 1 in AK) are here as a result.

I don't know what it takes to get a master EOD badge; I would hope it's more than the time requirements that google turned up.  In this day and age, I certainly have more respect for a master EOD badge, than the master parachutist badge which I see every day.

And FWIW, that fucking cowboy hat and spurs is about as gay as my maroon wool hat, which we don't wear here because it's too cold.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I know which one is more likely to make the owner a blowhard, however.

If the shoe doesn't fit... but it sure seemed to in the case above - the idea that EOD just pretty much started to exist when recent events brought it into the spotlight is laughable.  I was on hold on the phone yesterday and had to listen to airborne cadences!

I don't know what it takes to get a master EOD badge; I would hope it's more than the time requirements that google turned up.  

Don't know - but that time is time actually on the job, and the qualifications just to get the basic crab are significant enough.  I think we can all agree a retarded ape could get through jump school.

And FWIW, that fucking cowboy hat and spurs is about as gay as my maroon wool hat, which we don't wear here because it's too cold.  

Sing along with me now, "Raaaaaspberry beret..."
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Getting your master badge is loosley tied to your rank getting rank is tied to getting certified for whatever duty postion you hold EOD assistant EOD SGT EOD Team Leader(SSG) EOD Platoon Sgt (E-7).

Your badge itself isn't even permanent until you have 18 months in the field. By the time your ready to make senior badge you should be coming up on E-6.

By that time you should be finishing up Tl certification. I liken it the EIB as far as tasks and performance drills it runs the gambit from clearing depleted uranium or sealing up chemical munition, to dealing with IEDs stateside and OCONUS.

As far as a Master badge goes alot of having the skill set to certify teams run platoon size problems like ASPs that have blown up. Rendering safe chemical muntions and destroying them Working on nuclear weapons with out radiating team or entire city's.  Or Multiple IED scenarios hand entry and stuff. Most of it is pretty boring to the lamen.

The cool thing is to me is that all our certifications are signed off on by a One star.

Some I think Airborne operations are cool one of the best pieces of advice I got was from. An Airborne school 1sg " it's a shame you can's shoot enlisted men any more" it was directed at me. So to all my Airborne brothers no disrespect intended.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
 I think we can all agree a retarded ape could get through jump school.

Certainly, otherwise we'd have no log guys in the airborne world.  Earning a set of master wings takes slightly more than a retarded ape if you do it the right way.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
the idea that EOD just pretty much started to exist when recent events brought it into the spotlight is laughable.  

WHO said that? Even though the EOD #'s have gone up significantly, I would still say that it is still one of the smaller career fields.

Like I SAID before EOD and Master EOD until very recently WERE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#47]
The number of master techs in the field have not changed. They still won't change for a few years to come. Their is about 1,200 or so techs in the Army as compared to 3 years ago when there was about 700. EOD school has a 50 to 70% attrition rate. Another 15 to 20% get weeded out within a year of graduation. Making a tech and keeping them in service is hard. That's part of the reason why we have really big bonuses.

We have came into the spotlight since 2003 but our numbers haven't changed signifigantly.

Even  though it has doubled those still aren't big numbers.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Senior and Master Aircrew, at least...

Are awarded purely for time in MOS....
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Thats a little bit of a let-down. What were the previous aircrew badge qualifications? I just went over 1200 UH60 hours (crewchief)
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Neither the world nor the Army revolve around the Airborne, despite what many in the Army believe.

Oh . . . the pain, the pain!!!!!!
The stated reason we went to pin-on was to save Joe the money of having to buy new badges and sew them on every time that he got a new set of BDU's.  Now, we have to buy more expensive badges and patches, put up with Velcro everywhere, and replace those new patches about as often as we sewed the new ones on BDU's.

There are very few individuals in the US Army who aren't the real-deal secret squirrels who need to have sterile uniforms.  Might as well just have all that shit sewed on, just like on the BDU's.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top