Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2008 11:58:36 PM EDT
I need help in getting a certain "L" shaped insurance policy overseas that i'm not being issued.  Has anyone had success getting one overseas, got any suggestions for me?  I figured there'd be some guys over here who have been overthere and aren't in anymore is why i duped myself.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you are prepared to suffer possible consequences of a GO#1 violation?
Non-issue firearms and ammo are strictly prohibited…

It might be a little more prudent to carry extra grenades, magazines for primary weapon, and a knife than risk getting busted…
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you are prepared to suffer possible consequences of a GO#1 violation?
Non-issue firearms and ammo are strictly prohibited…

It might be a little more prudent to carry extra grenades, magazines for primary weapon, and a knife than risk getting busted…

None of my restricted item lists state that i'm not allowed to bring one, so i'm going by that.  If i arrive overseas and get new orders, i'll deal with it as the situation demands.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:46:27 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a standing CENTCOM order.

Besides, it's easier to obtain stuff once in country than mess with travel and customs. Just buddy up to some contractors or trusted hajis (interpreters, etc).
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't do it man...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Go see the nearest SF unit or civilian security contractors. They may have what you're loking for or know where to get one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
There are weapons everywhere over there and theres always an Iraqi who wants to make a quick buck.  If you just have to have a certain kind of something while you're over there, its easy to make it happen.  You don't want to be that guy who just happens to be that guy who gets his gear inspected by an underemployed E-9 who wants to make sure his joes have the right gear before they deploy and he finds that certain something in your kit bag and then you're fucked.

A friend of mine was at Talil AB right after the war started.  One day while working the main gate he was approached by an Iraqi who wanted to sell him four Russian made F-1 hand grenades for $20.  He thought it would be cool to take them and throw them off in the desert.  His squad leader came by and told him not to even think about it.  That said, if some hadji is selling grenades on the street, you should have no problems getting a good life insurance policy over there.  Buy the policy, keep it well hidden from your squaddies and then when its time to go home sell it to another soldier for twice what you paid for it and go home worry free.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There are weapons everywhere over there and theres always an Iraqi who wants to make a quick buck.  If you just have to have a certain kind of something while you're over there, its easy to make it happen.  You don't want to be that guy who just happens to be that guy who gets his gear inspected by an underemployed E-9 who wants to make sure his joes have the right gear before they deploy and he finds that certain something in your kit bag and then you're fucked.

A friend of mine was at Talil AB right after the war started.  One day while working the main gate he was approached by an Iraqi who wanted to sell him four Russian made F-1 hand grenades for $20.  He thought it would be cool to take them and throw them off in the desert.  His squad leader came by and told him not to even think about it.  That said, if some hadji is selling grenades on the street, you should have no problems getting a good life insurance policy over there.  Buy the policy, keep it well hidden from your squaddies and then when its time to go home sell it to another soldier for twice what you paid for it and go home worry free.

I wont have to worry about them, i know my whole platoon is cool with it (several guys who are vets are thinking along the same lines).  Im just thinking about missions, not walking around on base w/ it.  I'll definitely think about purchasing over there though.

I think the biggest problem i'd run into w/ my buddies is them wanting to borrow it when i'm not on a mission.

ETA: Besides, what are they gonna do if they catch me? Send me to Iraq?  Take a months  pay?  I'm a Spec-4 for life, i'm getting out after this tour, and they sure as shit aint discharging me or sending me to Leavenworth.  The Army should BE so lucky that they have soldiers so psyched about going to the desert they volunteer to bring their own guns!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I wont have to worry about them, i know my whole platoon is cool with it (several guys who are vets are thinking along the same lines).  Im just thinking about missions, not walking around on base w/ it.  I'll definitely think about purchasing over there though.

I think the biggest problem i'd run into w/ my buddies is them wanting to borrow it when i'm not on a mission.

ETA: Besides, what are they gonna do if they catch me? Send me to Iraq?  Take a months  pay?  I'm a Spec-4 for life, i'm getting out after this tour, and they sure as shit aint discharging me or sending me to Leavenworth.  The Army should BE so lucky that they have soldiers so psyched about going to the desert they volunteer to bring their own guns!

Don't try and make sense of things.  

I know of a division that recently banned canned air...

Common sense does not apply...

You are ASKING for trouble if you keep headed down this road...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't try and make sense of things.  

I know of a division that recently banned canned air...

Common sense does not apply...

You are ASKING for trouble if you keep headed down this road...

Are you talking about the shit you spray in your laptop to clean it from the sand??? Holy crap.

I'm rolling things around, i just want to look at it from all angles and get input.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:36:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't do it.  
Don't do it.  
Don't do it.

If you fail to follow the advice of everyone in this thread, I'm going to laugh at you when you get caught.  And you will get caught.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you not have an issued sidearm?

If you do, I'll send you some good HPs when you get there.

I could have bought an IP G19 for 80 or 100 bucks over there when I was with IPs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Don't do it.  
Don't do it.  
Don't do it.

If you fail to follow the advice of everyone in this thread, I'm going to laugh at you when you get caught.  And you will get caught.

you'd be surprised how many people have PMd or emailed me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top