Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2008 7:39:24 AM EDT
PO2 (EOD2) Mike Monsoor, a Navy EOD Technician, was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously for jumping on a grenade in Iraq, giving his life to save his fellow Seals.

During Mike Monsoor's funeral in San Diego, as his coffin was being moved from the hearse to the grave site at Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery, SEALs were lined up on both sides of the pallbearers route forming a column of two's, with the coffin moving up the center.  As Mike's coffin passed, each SEAL, having removed his gold Trident from his uniform, slapped it down embedding the Trident in the wooden coffin.

The slaps were audible from across the cemetery; by the time the coffin arrived grave side, it looked as though it had a gold inlay from all the Tridents pinned to it.  This was a fitting send-off for a warrior hero.

This should be front-page news instead of the crap we see everyday.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:50:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a moving picture to be sure. PO2 Monsoor was an MA2 ,thanks for posting the story. SS
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That is a moving picture to be sure. PO2 Monsoor was an MA2 ,thanks for posting the story. SS

thanks for the correction.  I got this from another Army guy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Fare winds and Followin Seas. I spent some time at that cementary, it wasn't very far from my "A" School.  I was unaware he was a was a "Dual Pinner"( SEAL/EOD). My best friend in the Navy was his LPO in his BUDS class(250) until he( my friend) got med rolled for stess fractures.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
He now responds with a unit overstaffed with heroes gone. Godspeed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Although he was a true hero, he was not EOD.

Here is the citation:

MONSOOR, MICHAEL, A.

Rank and Organization: Master-At-Arms Second Class (Sea, Air And Land), United States Navy

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as automatic weapons gunner for Naval Special Warfare Task Group Arabian Peninsula, in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 29 September 2006. As a member of a combined SEAL and Iraqi Army Sniper Overwatch Element, tasked with providing early warning and stand-off protection from a rooftop in an insurgent held sector of Ar Ramadi, Iraq, Petty Officer Monsoor distinguished himself by his exceptional bravery in the face of grave danger. In the early morning, insurgents prepared to execute a coordinated attack by reconnoitering the area around the element’s position. Element snipers thwarted the enemy’s initial attempt by eliminating two insurgents. The enemy continued to assault the element, engaging them with a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire. As enemy activity increased, Petty Officer Monsoor took position with his machine gun between two teammates on an outcropping of the roof. While the SEALs vigilantly watched for enemy activity, an insurgent threw a hand grenade from an unseen location, which bounced off Petty Officer Monsoor’s chest and landed in front of him. Although only he could have escaped the blast, Petty Officer Monsoor chose instead to protect his teammates. Instantly and without regard for his own safety, he threw himself onto the grenade to absorb the force of the explosion with his body, saving the lives of his two teammates. By his undaunted courage, fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of certain death, Petty Officer Monsoor gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Does not matter whether he was EOD or not.  Does not matter that he was a SEAL either.  What matters is that he was willing to give his life to save the iife of his teammates.  That is the mark of a true hero.  The story of his sacrifice as well as that of all who wear the Medal should be required teaching in all of our schools.  IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top