Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2007 7:24:43 PM EDT
I was an 0311 and 8152 back in the day 94-98 been out a good while and did a year recently in the ARNG as a 45b (small arms repair)

I started my paperwork a few months ago (gosh they take their time on reenlisting) and thinking about MOS's and if I go back 03 I don't have to go to an MOS school. I will be going back in as a Cpl too (yea the crusty old CPL..lol) I was looking at other jobs and going back into a combat arms job just seems the thing to do.

Ever since 9-11 I wanted to re-up and something has always held me back (girlfriends at the time, school, jobs etc) now it just seems like I have nothing holding me back (single and job is nothing special) If I go in the reserves I know that I will deploy most likely and it does not bother me. Everyone I know thinks I am crazy. But there is this calling I can't explain and I feel if I don't do it now I never will as I am getting old.

anyone else go back in infantry that has been out for some time?
thanks
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it's crazy at all, except for the Marine Corps part.

Ever consider 18 series in the Guard?
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I don't think it's crazy at all, except for the Marine Corps part.

Ever consider 18 series in the Guard?

what's 18 series? I looked into 11B
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I am 43 and just enlisted in the ARNG, I swear in tomorrow morning...as an 11B...

an 18 series is Special Forces

18B-Special Operations Weapons Sergeant

18C-Special Operations Engineer

18D-Special Operations Medical Sergeant

18E-Special Operations Communications Sergeant

18X-Special Forces Enlistment Option (guarantees you a shot at it, if you don't make it well...)

At your age I would say go for it in the Army as an 18X

P.S.

I don't think you are crazy..  
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to get with your recruiter & make sure you can get back in. I work with a killer who was an active duty 03, got out, joined the Nasty Guard & then got out again. He tried to get into the SMCR afterward & HQMC said negative because he had been in the Guard. If this no longer applies....

Make an objective (if that's possible) eval of your current abilities & ask yourself, "Can I hack it?" If you don't mind the stress Marine Corps infantry puts on the body then I say do it.  

I'm a 42y/o banged up Gunny & if I can still out PT a 22y/o grunt then I'm sure you can do it to. If you are in shape & really want in the grunts, then I say do it. I have a strong affection for 03's & I would recommend it to anyone who's worthy of the challenge. I'm not partial or anything. To me, there's no other option you should consider if you're still gung ho & want to be a trigger puller with your alma mater.

Semper Fi, hard charger.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#5]
No, you're not crazy.  I thought real hard about going back into the USMCR earlier this year as a 0311.  We're about the same age and were in the fleet at the same time (I was in 1992-97).

So there's at least two of us on this board.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks all...not really wanting to go the 18x way though there is a unit in chicago I see that is close to me.
don't want to go for all the schooling..deployment is on thing but I am not wanting to go to more schools than I have   to that is why I gave up on the idea of ocs too..defeats the purpose of the reserves if you are at school for 6+ months  and then deploy (I am self employed)
and the MAIN reason is even though I am jump qualified (5 jump chump)..... I have a hard time with languages and hated that part of college. other languages were always my weakness no matter what..

Thanks for all the input Gunny not sure what is going on though on the recruiters end. I am to the point I am sick of calling the PSR. He says he is going to call on so and so date and never does and then I call and it repeats over and over again. The PSR did say it would be easier to get me in now that I am discharged from the guard as my medical is up to date and such. but I have been trying for months now. I had plenty of time to think mos. I also wouldn't mind combat camera mos but not sure if they have it in the Marine reserve. They did in the guard.... I feel that I am in better shape now than when I was 22 both physically and mentally so that is not a problem. I guess "hurry up and wait" applies to reenlisting too
thanks again to everyone that gave some great information

Quoted:
You need to get with your recruiter & make sure you can get back in. I work with a killer who was an active duty 03, got out, joined the Nasty Guard & then got out again. He tried to get into the SMCR afterward & HQMC said negative because he had been in the Guard. If this no longer applies....

Make an objective (if that's possible) eval of your current abilities & ask yourself, "Can I hack it?" If you don't mind the stress Marine Corps infantry puts on the body then I say do it.  

I'm a 42y/o banged up Gunny & if I can still out PT a 22y/o grunt then I'm sure you can do it to. If you are in shape & really want in the grunts, then I say do it. I have a strong affection for 03's & I would recommend it to anyone who's worthy of the challenge. I'm not partial or anything. To me, there's no other option you should consider if you're still gung ho & want to be a trigger puller with your alma mater.

Semper Fi, hard charger.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#7]
That's only a question you can answer. How good of shape are you in? I know a couple guys who are going in the infantry as officers that are 29-31 but they are in great shape. Start getting yourself into shape. Check out www.Crossfit.com and start doing those workouts. Throw on a pack and start doing hills. That will give you a decent idea if you can still hack it.
Everyones a little different.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
All of us Jarheads got a little something wrong with us to begin with anyway.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want to deploy so bad then go Active Duty.

I'm in the guard and have been deployed. I want to go again but the state won't let me. If I was active duty I'd be going again.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#10]
There's absolutely nothing crazy about joining the reserves at 32. There are plenty of 32 year olds in the Guard and Reserves. This is a time when the military can use all the mature Soldiers/Marines it can get. I would think that they would welcome you with open arms (and bonuses). I was in the NG at age 32 and there were plenty of us.

Do what your heart tells you to do and you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I am 36.  Even at 32 I would think 0311 is too much at our old age.  Go to armored vehicles or tanks.  I was in an lav unit in 29 palms and loved it.  I came from a STA platoon on Okinawa.  

Do re-enlist but dont go 0311.  It will kill ya unless you are a top notch athelete at that age.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is it so hard to find other Marines on this website?
Too much shell shock to be able to read or what?

I have been looking for fellow Marines for a long time.  Especially some just from Iraq or Afghanistan.  I have a few questions for you.

By the way 0352 rules, we kill 3750!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
All of us Jarheads got a little something wrong with us to begin with anyway.

Semper Fi

+1!

Quoted:

Semper Fi, hard charger.

Great advice.  Anyone surprised it came from a Gunnery Sergeant?  Not me.

Anyway, to the OP, good luck making your decision and S/F!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have been looking for fellow Marines for a long time.  Especially some just from Iraq or Afghanistan.  I have a few questions for you.

By the way 0352 rules, we kill 3150!

If I could do it again I'd be an 0352.  I'm fucking Tired Of Walking.

ETA:  We've got several formar 90's active duty Marines come back in our reserve unit.  For the most part we haven't had any problems.  The only thing I'd advise is that a lot of things have changed tactically since then.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I went from humpin packs so heavy that I could barely stand up (when I was in a STA platoon on Okinawa)  to drivin an LAV  
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

By the way 0352 rules, we kill 3750!

It's not hard...there are a ton of Marine members here. I've met several. Just watch out for the posers, many of which aren't difficult to detect.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Update

Ok talked to the recruiter and I and I may go the Pogue option..lol
Original when I wanted to join back in 94 I wanted a computer/communications MOS and  changed my mind at the last minute because I wanted a hard charging job and took 0311 and then 8152

so my options were slim besided 0311 but there is a network MOS and I would get retrained at a two month school and it may help me on the civilian side (I make peanuts now ) and I will still be able to be in Uniform and be among other Marines. I also have a computer science degree and like computers so I think it may be a good choice. Plus the drill unit is closer at Great lakes navel base

I just have to type my reenlistment essay and interview with the unit. I filled out most of my paperwork and am good to go on the physical.

I will keep you updated

Physically I am in good shape and run a minimum of 3 miles  three times a week at a fast pace. I normally run for 45-60 minutes at about 90%, I rock climb and can still get 20 dead hangs on a good day, and just found out they changed the 80 sit-ups to 100 crunches so I have to work on that.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:27:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Not at all!  I know a fellow that went back into the USMC at your age to be an 0321 (Recon Marine).  Even after tearing a small muscle in his leg and getting bit by a baby rattler during patrols in Pendleton, he made it through the school to get the MOS.  If he could do that shit, I'm sure you could too (nm that he is 6'4" and 270lbs).
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Update

and just found out they changed the 80 sit-ups to 100 crunches so I have to work on that.

I would rather do crunches and day of the week then situps, after being out for 14 years and now back in I was floored (no pun intended) when I sw they still do regular sit ups which are SO bad for the back...

But...

GOOD JOB!

Lets us know how it goes! I was just at Great Lakes getting my new ID card, haven't been there since 1983....

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I was an 0352 and I started my careeer in 1993. I got out and did some time with the nasty girls too. As soon as the war started to roll forward in Iraq I went back active but in the Army as an Infantryman and have been over to Iraq twice as such. I dont think you will have any problems. I reenlisted and am still in and plan on reenlisting again if I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top