Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2007 3:15:21 PM EDT
Anyone here have any good first hand knowledge on the Combat Support/Service Support Branches?

I will be commissioning in August, and just got my listing in the national OML. I am in the 44th percentile which puts me 15 or so percent out of reach of getting a combat arms branch without signing for 3 more years.
My first choice right now is Quartermaster because thats my current job as an enlisted man in the reserves. I am though considering other branches, not sure though.

Right now im thinking about,
1- Quartermaster- current enlisted job, know the job pretty well, has good civilian employment.
2- Signal Corps- first duty station is close to home, sounds cool, radios/satellite commo and shit right?
3- Air Defense Artillery- I dont really know but its better than transportation! it also involves air force

beyond that I dont know.

anyone wish to educate me on the shitty aspects of those three the army doesn't like to advertise?
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
cool, I took networking classes in highschool my senior year, it was all Cisco stuff and I could have taken my CCNA, but I was stupid and didnt think it mattered then... $$$$ potential wasted
My college major is History so beyond telling IT on campus they are retarded every so often when they make stupid mistakes ive managed to forget most of the stuff that gave me a hard time back then such as programming routers and telnet stuff.  
I found cabling easy and all the simple non-program related stuff, but put me down behind a PC and tell me to figure out why computer A does not want to accept computer B's packets is beyond me.  99% of all problems are cabling, but its that other 1% that I really dont know shit about.

How involved would I be as an officer with the actual network engineering and management?  Would I just make sure my enlisted crew gets the job done, or would I actually be doing stuff?

Thanks Chief.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:35:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
<snip>
How involved would I be as an officer with the actual network engineering and management?  Would I just make sure my enlisted crew gets the job done, or would I actually be doing stuff?
<snip>

The answer is (as always):  it depends.  It depends on the unit and type of job you are assigned to.  Of course, as an officer you need to be thinking strategic and your primary role is typically management of resources.  However, you get most of the training that would allow you to be as hands on as needed.  I work on a Computer Network Defense Team (CNDT) which consists of a MAJ, CPT, CW4, CW3, SFC, and SSG (x2).  On my team the MAJ doesn't do much in terms of networking.  Here the focus is on policy, oversight, and executive reporting.  The CPT is involved with system design and analysis of systems that we use.  He's more hands on as required.  As the Major in the previous post already stated you will not be doing things like cabling or dragging equipment around.  You will still be an officer and utilize your management skills but you will get very good hands-on training in school and will have opportunities to use the training depending where you are assigned.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 3:36:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Recently commissioned 2LT here as well...and just thought I would pass on what I hear about ADA (ie, run away).

Consider for a moment, what ADA does. Then consider we have the best AF on the planet. Slow day at work, huh?

Rumor has it, that ADA is going to be rolled into FA, then called Fires (just like Infantry and Armor will become Maneuver). ADA types will swear up and down it is not going to happen, but I think they're all going the way of the Dodo.

ETA: I know nothing of signal, as that's really not my thing, but it's nice to learn some stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all,

I think I'm gonna ADSO Armor just to see if I will get it, I lie in that shady area for ADSO though.

Lifes all about choices and chances right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
ADA is a dead end career field.
My last boss was a LTC signal Officer. Based on my experiences with him, signal corp does not seem to educate officers on the basics of the combined Army concept. He could run an office but that was about it.

Keep in mind, as an officer, you will not be pushing buttons and turning knobs. You will be incharge of soldiers that do those things. If you go active, you will get about 6-18 months as a PLT LDR then it's off to staff until you make CPT. Once you make CPT, you will be competing for a company command.

The branch you select all depends on what you want out of your career. If you want to be challenged everyday, look for Combat Arms or Combat Service and Support. CSS tend to be working right along side CA.

Also, what war stories do you want to tell your grand children? The one about surviving over 100 paper cuts or the one about helping keep America safe from terrorists?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Do they still have the branch detail program?  I was comissioned MI with and Infantry branch detail in 1997.  Just got out after I pinned on MAJ.

I spent four years in the INF before I went to the transition course and the MICCC.  Think about MI seriously, it has many more options than most branches.  If I had stayed INF, after command, I would have had a great choice between ROTC, recruiting, Observer Controller or NG/Res adviser.  In a branch like MI, the best jobs and programs are availabe after- like the Junior Officer Cryptologic Program, a Master's in Stretgic INtel at the Joint MI College at DIA.

In my case, I spent the last four years in Counterintelligence.  Now that I'm out, I'm in that field in DC making more than I did as a MAJ.  MI gives you skills that are in high demand iin the civilian market and a clearance.  And if you want to stay in, MI is embedded at every level of the war effort.  CDRs in theater are screaming for more intel assets.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Branch detailis alive and well. A lot of MI and Signal LTs get branched detailed until they make CPT. Pretty normal for an Artillery unit to have a good share of branch detailed LTs assigned.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Recently commissioned 2LT here as well...and just thought I would pass on what I hear about ADA (ie, run away).

Consider for a moment, what ADA does. Then consider we have the best AF on the planet. Slow day at work, huh?

Rumor has it, that ADA is going to be rolled into FA, then called Fires (just like Infantry and Armor will become Maneuver). ADA types will swear up and down it is not going to happen, but I think they're all going the way of the Dodo.

ETA: I know nothing of signal, as that's really not my thing, but it's nice to learn some stuff.

Oh it is going to happen and all of you duck hunters are moving out of Bliss and going to Sill.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh it is going to happen and all of you duck hunters are moving out of Bliss and going to Sill.

As a duck hunter, I hope to hell it happens.
Less embarassing for me that way.

I thought I had posted in this thread, but it appears the OP had started two identical threads, and the first one died out.

Sylvan, this is the first I knew you were ADA.  I was still an ADA branch detail LT when I first started posting here.  For some reason, I though you were and AGR infantry guy, stuck in some staff la la land.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a duck hunter, I hope to hell it happens.
Less embarassing for me that way.

I am staqtioned at Bliss and with the 1AD moving in they have told ADA you have to move. I thought with as big of a training ground they have there that they would keep them. I guess they need all to space for the big manuver brigades and stuff.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Chemo here--it sucks; if you want to know the Army from the BN level on up it might be good for you. Absolutely sucks for troop time and at BN-level you end up being indispensible but at the same time unappreciated.

It is good in some areas though; I have worked in so many different fields and know a little about a lot of stuff. I work CA (civil affairs) and CERP in Iraq. I know what the G5, G8, and G9 do (never knew about those guys before). I know what contracting is and finance policy for civilian contractors as well. I also know how to use COPS(S1), LIW and PBUSE (S4 and maint), I can pull MTOEs and know when the unit is getting reorganized before the head shead does.

If you like a day that is never the same and are happy working for someone who won't let you go  go Chemo.

The only thing I don't understand is why you would have to sign for 3 more years. All the Combat arms branches are hurting right now and need people.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top