Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2007 9:27:08 PM EDT
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Ahdxk_b1g

Alright, my Jarhead friends, do you remember this???

I saw this and I swore that poor boot had his heart up in his throat and his @sshole shrunk tight. Can you remember when you got ambushed by a pack of wild devil dog DIs?

Damn!

It looked like the recruit jumped into a pool chock full of great white sharks with a pork chop loincloth on.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 2:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice, brings back memories.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Loved it. Way too much shit talking between know nothing privates from Army and Marine Corps, though.

One of the morons said that a basically trained Marine grunt is the equvelant of a Ranger assigned to Regiment. Not even close. Ranger trumps any basic grunt, anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I knew, the moment i saw the "boot" walking up the hallway that he was a DI with his cover on,  he started talking and it was like someone opened the cage and off the DIs went; it was beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#4]
It's called "killing hogs" as we used to refer to it.

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That made me smile.  The other clip of the DI at night really cheered me up after a miserable day.  

-K
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just watched about 10 of those. Now Im motivated. I just happen to be running a mud run tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 10:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I knew, the moment i saw the "boot" walking up the hallway that he was a DI with his cover on,  he started talking and it was like someone opened the cage and off the DIs went; it was beautiful.

Amusing, and doubtless stress-inducing though it was, what was the recruit's transgression to bring that on?

NTM
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amusing, and doubtless stress-inducing though it was, what was the recruit's transgression to bring that on?

NTM

I think is one of those deals where you have to pay attention to detail and remain focused (and not break down) under the barrage of screaming and shouting from the DIs on all three side of you. Is made to ensure the recruit is fully aware of everything around him. One DI is wearing his cover, so he passes for another boot and gives a false sense of safety (Drill's not around, so I'm cool); then before the boot can react or imagine, you're pounced from all sides by DIs, who seem to come out of the woodwork to taunt, harass, scream (check the Desert MARPAT-clad DI on the right) into your ears.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 11:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]
If I felt like it served a purpose I would understand. What was he getting yelled at for?
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If I felt like it served a purpose I would understand. What was he getting yelled at for?

The DI in disguise was talked to like he was back on the block or just got off the bus. The 7th G.O. is to "Talk to no one except in the line of duty." It's not uncommon for DI's to gang thrash a lone recruit just because. It's part of the game. We yelled more when I was DI, but it seems these days the DI's have to take what they can get since there is a lot more "gentleness" with DI's & their recruits in school circle talking with their covers off about values.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Just my 2 cents worth but......

I am guessing the DI that walked in without the Smokie Bear was a DI from another platoon (thus the enemy). The recruit on watch forgot his GO's and failed to challenge him, so he got thrashed.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Just my 2 cents worth but......

I am guessing the DI that walked in without the Smokie Bear was a DI from another platoon (thus the enemy). The recruit on watch forgot his GO's and failed to challenge him, so he got thrashed.

EXACTLY! You see him walking in with his regular cover and not his "Smokey" hat and the boot did not challenge him. You get a...

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 6:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
And what exactly is going on with this one guy acting like a monkey?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-N9bQysvKc&NR=1
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing like flashbacks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 7:46:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've obviously never been a Marine Corps recruit. Marine DI's have a unique way of displaying thier disdain for recruits who don't get things done yesterday.

Well, the thing is, I'm not questioning what he's doing but why he's saying it. I can't understand a word he's saying, so I don't get what the problem is that he's yelling about.

Maybe you can translate, since you seem to be in the know?
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've obviously never been a Marine Corps recruit. Marine DI's have a unique way of displaying thier disdain for recruits who don't get things done yesterday.

Well, the thing is, I'm not questioning what he's doing but why he's saying it. I can't understand a word he's saying, so I don't get what the problem is that he's yelling about.

Maybe you can translate, since you seem to be in the know?

Maybe I should've used more user friendly emoticons. If me bing a former DI/SDI qualifies me for being in the know I guess I am, however, unfortunately I can't decipher the rant. We yell & yell a lot & sometimes only the hog & other hats can understand what's being said at that time. Who knows what's being said in this case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 1:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Bump for the Weekend Crew.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The DI in disguise was talked to like he was back on the block or just got off the bus. The 7th G.O. is to "Talk to no one except in the line of duty." It's not uncommon for DI's to gang thrash a lone recruit just because. It's part of the game. We yelled more when I was DI, but it seems these days the DI's have to take what they can get since there is a lot more "gentleness" with DI's & their recruits in school circle talking with their covers off about values.

I was recently down at MCRD and there is still plenty of yelling. It is just augmented with "core values times" which only comes once in a while.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 4:42:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There are many reasons for it. Read a book called "On Killing" by Grossman. He claims the yelling is to prepare recruits for close up confrontation, it makes sense.
Furthermore, DIs will jump on recruits for the smallest transgression, so small pretty much only other Marines would notice. For example, looking at a DI, not talking in the 3rd person, moving even a little while at attention. You may ask why this is, it may seem silly, but it builds discipline because in combat even the smallest transgression can get you killed. It teaches recruits attention to detail etc.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 11:48:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was recently down at MCRD and there is still plenty of yelling. It is just augmented with "core values times" which only comes once in a while.

Did you just leave the street within the regt or were you just visiting?
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you just leave the street within the regt or were you just visiting?

No, just visiting. I saw plenty of DIs doing the good old "gang thrash".
I have heard from other DIs that not much has changed in many years with a few exceptions you are certainly already aware of...
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My tour at PISC ended in '93. I've got a family friend who's a heavy in 3rd Bn now & he says things are getting more & more rediculous with regard to restrictions on the DI's in favor of the PC agenda. He's seeing more DI's getting relieved for minor "violations," if you want to call them that, but this doesn't surprise me in the least. Even when I was on the street you could not touch a recruit without asking unless you needed to grab them for an exigent circumstance. Of course, a lot more went on inside the squad bay that was known about, but you always have that POS of recruit that wants to run to the series commander & report a DI for something rediculous. That's even more so the case now with these kids of the current generation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#24]
That sucks, hopefully it doesn't stay that way. I suppose when I visited it was longer ago than what I initially thought, so things may have changed...(man time goes by fast )
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice, very nice!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Though not a marine (Navy 12 years)

I found the last few comments to be very saddening to me about how PC things are (I got out in 93)

I pray for you guys that are still in and have to deal with the PC garbage...as a reminder though....the PC side of things is worse on the outside
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top