Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 5:28:08 AM EDT
I'm not sure if this is the perfect place to post this so please excuse me if it isn't.

I'm planning on heading off to basic training during the summer and I'm wondering what to bring? Should I just pack light, for the Army will supply me with what ever I need? Or do I need to bring anything?

Thanks for the help, this is going to be a big change.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You want to bring the bare minimum, basically the clothes on your back and some personal hygiene stuff. You will end up having to hold whatever you bring up off the ground for extended periods along with all the stuff you get issued, so the less you have the better lol. Pretty much anything you bring is going to be locked up in a closet for the duration.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Running shoes, toilet kit, bible or other book of faith, no more than $100, any perscription medication you need, and the clothing on your back. Tha Army no longer issues underwear so bring at least a week's worth of skivies. They do issue t-shirts and socks. Letter writing marerial, leave the cell phone at home.

NO KNIVES OR OTHER WEAPONS OF ANY KIND

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Running shoes, toilet kit, bible or other book of faith, no more than $100, any perscription medication you need, and the clothing on your back. Tha Army no longer issues underwear so bring at least a week's worth of skivies. They do issue t-shirts and socks. Letter writing marerial, leave the cell phone at home.

NO KNIVES OR OTHER WEAPONS OF ANY KIND

WHAT? They are depriving new recruits of the wonderful shit brown underwear??
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#5]
At your first visit to MEPS you will be given a list of things to bring and not to bring for shipping out to BCT/OSUT.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The Army does issue underwear, as I just got back from training and they issued them to me.
Take only the minimum, as you wont need or want to carry anything extra. You will have more than enough stuff issued to carry around as it is.

I just completed the Warrior Transition Course at Fort Knox at 42 years of age. So if I can do it, you can to.

GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are in the national guard, see if you can get one or two extra sets of BDU's from your unit. Depending on your drill sergeant, you may be allowed to maintain an extra set or two. Trust me, when you're hand scrubbing your laundry on your (limited) spare time, you'll be glad you have an extra set.

Other than that, don't bring anything. Bring a set of clothes to get you to MEPs, and the barest essentials of personal hygiene kit, and that's it.

The army will give you whatever else you need, and if you bring extra, they'll seize it.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#8]
After we arrived at the barracks we had to empty our wallets on our beds.  They were looking for contraband.

The MTI picked up this one guy's prophylactic and said, "You won't be needing this here", and tossed it in the trash.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude, you gotta wear it in the field. On the days you get to change it you change with Joe, Joe changes with Bob, and if Bob has to go commando because you decided not to bring a set he's gonna be pissed.

Quoted:

Who the hell wear underweari n the field anyway?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dude, you gotta wear it in the field. On the days you get to change it you change with Joe, Joe changes with Bob, and if Bob has to go commando because you decided not to bring a set he's gonna be pissed.

Quoted:

Who the hell wear underweari n the field anyway?

Maybe that's how y'all did things at Fort Brokeback Mountain, but that's not how we did things where I was stationed.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I wore skivvies one time in the field as a new Private. Having low crawled in water/sand during a LFX, and then stepping off on a 12 mile roadmarch, I never wore them again. If I could have skipped the movement, and just took a sander w/ 80grit to my inner thighs a "jumblies", the result would have been the same.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wore skivvies one time in the field as a new Private. Having low crawled in water/sand during a LFX, and then stepping off on a 12 mile roadmarch, I never wore them again. If I could have skipped the movement, and just took a sander w/ 80grit to my inner thighs a "jumblies", the result would have been the same. hr

So are you saying go commando or wear boxers?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#13]
There's a reason they call it commando, soldier!

The next best thing is the Marine Corps PT shorts. But you won't be able to have those in basic.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I wore the the brown underwear during basic. Someguys would wear PT shorts under their BDU's during the ruck marches to help prevent chaffing. It helps but now I either wear "ranger panties" which are just nylon running shorts or go commando. Just do whats comfortable and when you finish up basic you can wear whatever you want under your BDUs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Stamps, writing materials and other stationary, envelopes. A prepaid calling card might come in useful later in the cycle. (We were actually instructed to call home the day we arrived in Ft Knox to let our families know we had arrived safely). A bit of cash, it cost me about $30 to get from Louisville Airport to Ft Knox, which was unexpexted. (My 'plane arrived late). Shaving gear.

Feel free to bring a photograph of your family (or whatever) for your wall locker. A couple of padlocks (I used combination, so I didn't need to worry about keys) for your 'private drawer'.

You will be brought to the PX on day 1 or 2 to purchase running shoes. Due to soldiers suffering foot injuries because they have shoes which are not suitable for their arches, they will stand you on a light box, give you a colour code, take you to the PX and you select your shoe from a group. "This is the Blue section, for low arches. Select your shoes from this section, blue people"

www.clubi.ie/exalted/40th.htm
My diary from Basic. Five years old now, but I'm sure a lot of it is the same.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Commando's ok.  If you get caught with boxers, be prepared to do alot of firewatch and CQ duties...

Don't worry about it--you will be told in clear terms what, how and when you will be allowed to wear/have.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Commando's ok.  If you get caught with boxers, be prepared to do alot of firewatch and CQ duties...

Don't worry about it--you will be told in clear terms what, how and when you will be allowed to wear/have.

We had the choice of briefs or boxers when I went in. Also back then once you were issued your uniforms you had to box up your civie clothes and send them home.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Pack light. Bring the clothes on your back and a debit card and you'll be good to go. Everying else will be purchased at the PX. They'll give you an EZ Pay card with an advanced pay of $250 to buy everything you need.

We were issued tan underwear, but no one ever wore it. Go commando.  When we got to our unit, we dumped all our shit and did inventory, everything not on the list went in the personal bag and got locked up, or got thrown away. Leave your cell phone and buy a new one when you get to your duty station.

You will buy running shoes when you go to the PX at reception. Your DS may or may not allow any other shoes. Basically, it depends where you go and who your Drill Sergeants are. POG basic training seems to me more lenient than OSUT. You'll probably get smoked if you get caught wearing PT shorts or civie boxers under your ACU's.

You'll get a packing list at MEPS, but a lot of things on the list will get thrown away or packed away and you'll never use them.  To be honest, you're wasting your money by buying stuff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the replies.

If you have any corrective lenses or contacts you must wear those ugly birth control glasses correct?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
just wear the BCG's. its not like you're really going to be impressing anyone.

(and by the way, I'm a boxer guy, but those army brown tighties provide the extra support needed on those airborne ops.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe I read an article saying that the BCGs were being dispensed with, in order to give soldiers something that gave them a bit more pride in their appearance.

My CO wore BCGs for the entire Iraq tour.

NTM
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Every soldier should learn to go without underwear. I went through basic and jump school wearing and then half way through RIP the cadre suggested to go without. Took some getting used to but its the way to go. Never have worn any since.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had the choice of briefs or boxers when I went in. Also back then once you were issued your uniforms you had to box up your civie clothes and send them home.

All the civvie stuff we had was locked up and returned to us when we graduated.  As I didn't to go on to AIT, I took a cab to the airport right after graduation with my civvie bag, changed in the airport latrine and flew home in my civvies.

So Andrew_C and DVCAPI, it's not quite a cut and dry situation--it all depends on where you go and who's in charge.  So the best advice is to follow instructions and be  Semper Gumby.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you have any corrective lenses or contacts you must wear those ugly birth control glasses correct?

Various basic training classes have experimented with other protective eyewear (ESS style) for all soldiers, with prescription inserts for soldiers who needed them. You may have BCG's. Contacts are not allowed in a field environment according to some or other AR, which means that they aren't allowed in BT or OSUT. Bring your standard glasses (not your nice DKNY ones), and a copy of your current prescrition.

Be forewarned, even if you have a shaved head, they'll charge you $5 something for a haircut at reception. Welcome to the politics of contractual AAFES vendor agreements.

Keep your mouth shut, ears open, and eyes to the front.

Most of all, good luck and thanks for serving.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

awesome!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring your standard glasses (not your nice DKNY ones), and a copy of your current prescrition.

Bring a copy to MEPS or to basic?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Underarmor boxers.  Everyone loves em.  I'm about to buy a few pairs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring your standard glasses (not your nice DKNY ones), and a copy of your current prescrition.

Bring a copy to MEPS or to basic?

Whatever you bring with you to MEPS goes on to basic, you won't have a chance to go back home.

Make sure your prescription makes it to basic, they will issue you new eyewear there, and they may be able to use your prescription.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#30]
When I went in, at basic we had an eye and hearing exam and they took a full mouth X-ray of our teeth.  When they’re giving you your shots, if they’re using the HP shot guns don’t move. I saw someone move and get cut bad by the shot gun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
if they’re using the HP shot guns don’t move. I saw someone move and get cut bad by the shot gun.

They don't use those anymore. You just stand there while two PFC's (medics I assume) stab you up and down your arm with about 10 needles. Really doesn't hurt, just plain jane shots.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here.  That was the point in my life when I switched from "tighty whiteys" to boxers, and I have never looked back.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if they’re using the HP shot guns don’t move. I saw someone move and get cut bad by the shot gun.

They don't use those anymore. You just stand there while two PFC's (medics I assume) stab you up and down your arm with about 10 needles. Really doesn't hurt, just plain jane shots.

Well that sucks, think of all the haz-mat med waste created by using needles instead.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Also back then once you were issued your uniforms you had to box up your civie clothes and send them home.

Hmmmm.... they just had us stuff all of our civvy stuff in whatever bag/suitcase that we'd brought
with us, made sure the bag was marked well, and tossed them into a closet off the squad bay. The
Senior DS was the only one who had the key, and we got our bags back the day before graduation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Hmmmm.... they just had us stuff all of our civvy stuff in whatever bag/suitcase that we'd brought
with us, made sure the bag was marked well, and tossed them into a closet off the squad bay. The
Senior DS was the only one who had the key, and we got our bags back the day before graduation.

Thats how it was when I went through.  Commando is the only way to go, unless you enjoy monkey butt.  When you get to go to the PX for toothpaste and shit, make sure to get baby wipes....nothin better for washing your juevos in the field.

Edited to change "boys" to "juevos"  ......Didn't want to start any hit.
I'm sure I misspelled juevos.....sorry i don't speak mexican
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top