Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 10:38:26 AM EDT
You guys probably noticed I've been debating where to go w/ my military future recently with the questions regarding ROTC and OCS. I've decided I am heading for pharmacy school and going to do some AD time when I graduate. From my point of view, it satisfies all of my desires for grad school, a military career, service to others and a stable civilian job.

Now my question is, is anyone an MD in the medical service corp or know someone that is? I'd really like to talk to someone to get a sense of how it is and what to expect. Talking to a recruiter is about as good as talking to a commercial.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
M.D. and  D.O.  are commissioned in the Medical Corps...........

Medical Service Corps is for credentialed (degreed) technicians that are not Doctors, mainly things like PA's, Pharmacists, etc.

Nurse Corps (self explanatory).

Non degreed techs are enlisted..... combat medics, pharmacy techs, x ray, lab, etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
not exactly correct
1md's and Do's medical corps
2 nurses nurse corps
3 veternarians veternary corps
4 administrators and for some strange reason pharmacists are in the medical service corps
5 pas pts ots and other non nurse non doctor health professionals in the medical specialty corps
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The father of a friend of my brother retired several years ago from the USAF as a full bird Colonel; he was commissioned into the USAF as a D.O.; he now lives in Kissimmee, FL and has a private practice with his wife, who is a medical sales rep for some drug company (I think it was Abott Pharmaceuticals).

If you plan to follow a medical career in the military; go to Med School outside, get your residency and everything done, then join the military, you will get direct commission, the same way Chaplains, Helicopter pilots and Lawyers do; they are the only people (I think) that can join the military and get their officer commissions directly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you plan to follow a medical career in the military; go to Med School outside, get your residency and everything done, then join the military, you will get direct commission, the same way Chaplains, Helicopter pilots and Lawyers do; they are the only people (I think) that can join the military and get their officer commissions directly.

My concern was whether I should persue that scholarship program they have or not, something like you owe them two years of AD for every year they pay for. I know there's two sides to every story, so I was hoping someone who has first hand experience could tell me. No sweat though, I've still got time to reconsider my decisions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top