Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 8:01:52 PM EDT
Here is a list of links that ive collected, got most of them from TAP class.  As a Vet you also get extra points that give you priority.

Fed jobs
www.opm.gov     lots of fed jobs
www.avuecentral.com    don’t know about this one
www.usajobs.opm.gov    a lot of fed jobs
www.donhr.navy.mil     dept of the navy human resources
www.bls.gov   dept of labor
http://online.onetcenter.org       one stop shopping?

Resources
http://www.stats.bls.gov/oco/home.htm  

Fed Job search engines
www.dod.jobsearch.org
www.federaljobsearch.net
www.goacs.org
www.navylifepnw.com

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
good stuff... i want to look at this.

20 years to retirement... and AA is getting old really fast
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

whats AA?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
My Father retired in 27 years from a State job in Ohio, with his three years 66-69 in the Army, covering the other three years. I always thought that was a nice "Thank You" for his service in Vietnam....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whats AA?

American Airlines yes, 17 years later... I am in need of change

eta: spelling
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#5]
And something I just thought of.  Your military service might qualify you for jobs that are only open to current federal employees.  There are a couple of veterans preeferences, VEOA, VRA, and others IIRC.  Take a look.  My roomate/landlord works at the hospital on post and he was only able to get the job because of his time in the Navy.  There is a contractor that is bitter because he can't get hired directly because the job isn't open to all.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:13:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I work for DOD as a GS scale civil servant. All my active duty time transfered over (11 years). I paid 3% of my total accrued active duty base pay to Uncle Sugar in order to get credit for retirement. Generally, your federal retirement is calculated according to this formula: 1% of your high-3 average pay times years of creditable service. If you retire at age 62 or later with at least 20 years of service, a factor of 1.1% is used rather than 1%. I have 15 vested, 24 to go until I reach 65 for a total of 39 years or 42.9% of my base pay. In addition I pay into the Thrift Savings Plan up to 12% of my annual income and Uncle Sugar kicks in 5%. Free money is always cool.

Also, as a federal employee you can draw a reserve or national guard retirement (you cannot draw an active duty retirement and a federal employee retirement due to a change in the law). So I will be able to "double dip" a little. Also government jobs are much more lenient towards military service. And you are very protected as a veteran when it comes time to make cuts. Essentially you will be the guy locking up the last building in the government.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I can attest to it; I served in Iraq with the 220th MP Bde. and now work with the Dept. Of Justice/Federal Bureau Of Prisons as a Correctional officer (my probationary is over in 14 days ); a lot of the guys that work with me, including some of the lieautenants are mostly former vets themselves; one of my best friends is an EX Army Ranger that served in Afghanistan and two of the other officers with me served in iraq, along with a couple of the Lieutenants.

I know the BOP is hiring a lot, specially here in FL (FCC Coleman); you can check the job listings at http://www.bop.gov/ under BOP Careers.

I found the job by coincidence over at USA Jobs and it pays good (at least for a single guy).
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thing to watch for is internships with organizations like Homeland Security, TRADOC & Material Command.

Injured service members have an even higher preference for jobs at these places, however any vet should apply.  If they served honorably years ago, they still have a preference over the new highschool/college grad.

Check them out vets.  It's worth the time you put into the search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top