Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 4:58:08 PM EDT
Looks like I'll be down there for 18 weeks starting in June for 97E school. Anyone been through there as a reclass that could give me some info on what it's like? I'm definately going to drive out there, no way I'm spending 18+ weeks without a vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I LOVED living in Huachuca back in the early and mid 90's.  Not sure what the echo tng is like now but I know you will LOVE it down there.  People hated Sorry Vista but I loved the outdoors and all the great canyons to hike.  Lower Garden Canyon was one of my favorites.

HUACHUCA is NOT like Combat Arms.  I've done both and believe me, Huachuca is a cake walk compared to what Fort Knox, Benning and Bragg felt like in the middle of summer as a 18yr old. From what I saw, the drills are a joke in comparison and the students were more interested in the opposite sex than their schooling.  

Only drawback is the altitude.  At Apache Flats, the alt is about 5000ft. It's hard to breath for a flat-lander.  

Best of luck to ya!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
You could try Camp Williams, Utah.  They have 97E and 97B courses.  I think they might have an April and a June.  The course would be a few weeks shorter without all the BS an AIT school brings.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You could try Camp Williams, Utah.  They have 97E and 97B courses.  I think they might have an April and a June.  The course would be a few weeks shorter without all the BS an AIT school brings.

That was the original plan, but I guess when my training NCO found a slot at the active duty school he thought it would be better. From what I've heard the Utah school is decent, but you don't learn near as much there. The only bad thing I've really heard about Huachuca is that the reclass barracks are pretty shitty
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll love Huachuca.  I went there in '93 for 97B school.  Went back there again in '95 on training mission.  Make sure you get to Tombstone plenty, I suggest TD's club in Tucson for naked women.  Be sure to get a lap dance, it's worth the 5 bucks.  (was passin through in '96 and found that out)  

The mountains are awesome to hike in, but take a friend or at least tell someone when and where you'll be going and returning.  Take some time to drive through the canyons, they are great.  Mexico is ok, touristy thing to do I guess.  Sierra Vista is what it is, a military town.  Plenty of places to eat, that's for sure.  If you get to Bisbee, be wary of the locals cause they sure are wary of army types.  THey feel the army is spying on them all the time, we just conducted trainng exercises there.

There was a great pub on post about 100 yds from the student barracks, cheap beer and plenty of pool tables.  The rec facility was nice too, big indoor pool there with diving boards.

Earlier post was right about non-camobat arms, I started as Infantry and branched over, what  a difference.  Give yourself plenty of time to get acclimated to high altitude.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay there, you should too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I wasnt in the military , but i went to ASU , and i spent lotts of time camping , and shooting down there ,  its gonna be HOT - 100 deg. +  ,  Tombstone is cool , if you like camping , and you have some spare time , check out Cochise stronghold , and Chiracuaha Mounument --   you will go from a desert wasteland - to a nice cool pine forest in about 20 min.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wasnt in the military , but i went to ASU , and i spent lotts of time camping , and shooting down there ,  its gonna be HOT - 100 deg. +  ,  Tombstone is cool , if you like camping , and you have some spare time , check out Cochise stronghold , and Chiracuaha Mounument --   you will go from a desert wasteland - to a nice cool pine forest in about 20 min.

Go Devils!!!!  I wasn't at Huachuca, but before I attended ASU, I was in the AF and spent a year at Davis Monthan.  I love that part of the country.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I was at Ft. Huachuca back in 99-00 for AIT before Re-classing to my current MOS.   Its a good place, plenty to see and plenty to do.   just depends on your interests.   DEFINATELY give yourself a chance to aclimatize, or the alt. will kick you ass.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You'll love Huachuca.  I went there in '93 for 97B school.  Went back there again in '95 on training mission.  Make sure you get to Tombstone plenty, I suggest TD's club in Tucson for naked women.  Be sure to get a lap dance, it's worth the 5 bucks.  (was passin through in '96 and found that out)  

The mountains are awesome to hike in, but take a friend or at least tell someone when and where you'll be going and returning.  Take some time to drive through the canyons, they are great.  Mexico is ok, touristy thing to do I guess.  Sierra Vista is what it is, a military town.  Plenty of places to eat, that's for sure.  If you get to Bisbee, be wary of the locals cause they sure are wary of army types.  THey feel the army is spying on them all the time, we just conducted trainng exercises there.

There was a great pub on post about 100 yds from the student barracks, cheap beer and plenty of pool tables.  The rec facility was nice too, big indoor pool there with diving boards.

Earlier post was right about non-camobat arms, I started as Infantry and branched over, what  a difference.  Give yourself plenty of time to get acclimated to high altitude.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay there, you should too.

+1 on this and the other big post.  I was there in the fall of 99 for about 5 months and had a blast.  Was back for a few weeks in 2002 and was amazed at the growth there in Siera Vista.  I personally liked the small town.  Tombstone and Bisbee are both full of good times.  Like was said above, the folks in Bisbee are a little different...old corps hippies kinda.  But, if you're nice, they'll be nice back.  Check out the Bisbee Grand.  Fun little pub run by a real nice dude and his German wife (or it was a few years ago anyways).  Had some good times there drinking and playing pool with friends.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I took my AIT for 17K/96R during the fall of 1976 at Ft. Huachuca, (I know that was a long time ago) went there after basic training. It was a big change from basic, I remember we were treated more like soldiers than trainees. The desert and mountains around the post were very scenic, I remember spending time in a little snack bar type place out behind the barracks, ate alot of pizza and drank some beer there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top