Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 10:37:46 PM EDT
I'm getting out Friday, and need to know what I qualify for on my travel paperwork.

It's a normal, honorable discharge.

I went to Finance today, and they told me I'm authorized $0.12/mile, but I don't know if that's just my vehicle or my wife's as well.

Also, do I qualify for Per Diem or the Temporary Living Entitlement (going to be in an unfurnished apt over the weekend until Terminal LV starts) to help with food and hotels?

I've got a copy of the Joint Federal Travel Regulation, but it's 600+ pages of military legalese, and I was hoping someone who's been there and done that recently could give me some good clear advice.

<edit> The reason I ask is the civilian I talked to at Finance didn't seem to think I needed to apply for Travel Pay because it was "so little", and I found that I am authorized $0.15 per vehicle online as opposed to the info she provided.

I don't appreciate laziness and incompetence hindering my entitlements.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:51:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your finance office sucks.  Where are you stationed?

Here's what I was briefed yesterday at a pre PCS finance briefing and is also what is in the booklet they gave me.  This was for a PCS move, not an ETS one, so I’m not sure if it’s the same.  And they did not go over TLE for someone that’s getting out.

Transportation

POV Mileage is limited to a $0.20 per vehicle
Member - $0.15 per mile
Dependents -  $0.02 per mile for each dependant
If you own a second vehicle your wife can drive it and receive $0.15 per mile instead of $0.02 per mile.

Per Diem

Daily Per Diem is based on 350 miles of official travel per day based on official distance
Any mileage 51 miles and above remaining = additional travel day (i.e. 400 miles = 1 day, but 401 miles = 2 days)
Member - $99 per day
Dependents 12 and older - $74.25 per day
Dependents 11 and younger - $49.50 per day

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Carefull with the paperwork. My wife did a Self move and recieved advance pay for the moving truck and after we moved( I was out before her) she sent the paperwork in like she was supposed to. Norfolk managed to lose it and instead of contacting us DFAS turned it over to a collection agency who added another $500 and damaged her credit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, when you mail in your travel voucher, DFAS actually looks at the postmark to see if it matches where you say you moved to.  You'd be surprised at how many people stay close to post, tell the Army that they've moved 3,000 miles away, and mail their voucher from the Post Office right outside the main gate.  Now, if you took a couple weeks to visit Mom and Dad 3,000 miles from post,and just happened to visit the Post Office there, DFAS would have no way of verifying that you didn't take all of your household good with you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top