Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:45 PM EDT
Alright, I've tried to figure out the best way to word all my questions, but it still ends up being a long post. I just graduated college and basically am looking at several differant things.

What can anyone tell me about the Warrant Officer Flight Training program? What's life like for a Warrant Officer in comparison to that of Officers, etc?

My other questions are concerned more with another jobs i'm interested in if I can't become a pilot. What job/rating is it in the Air Force for the crewman who utilizes the minigun/MG? What about the Coast Guard? I know the Coast Guard might not have miniguns, but i've seen several helos outfitted with M240s or other MGs.

Finally, specifically regarding the Coast Guard, How does one get assigned to a small boat station or law enforcement detachment? I've heard that you need to do some time on a cutter prior to getting assigned to a small boat station. Would you go officer or enlisted?

Thanks to everyone who can shed any insight to these questions. I know they're relatively vague but i'm struggling with steps to take in my life now that i'm done school. Feel free to IM me or email me at [email protected]. Thanks again.

Billy
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:36 AM EDT
[#1]
If you just graduated college, I'd advise going for a full commission instead of WO.

BTW, in case you didn't know, the USAF doesn't have WOs anymore.

The guys manning the guns are enlisted.  As for the specific AFSC/rate, I don't know.  

It sounds like you're decompressing after the pressures of finishing this part of your education.  Don't make any rash decisions.

I'd make a list of questions and start talking to recruiters (Don't sign anything! ).  Make it clear that you are just gathering information.

As for helo duty, the USCG is a small service, and the USAF doesn't operate a lot of helicopters.  That kinda limits the opportunities, making the competition for slots more intense.

That's not much specific information, but I hope it helps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The AFSC for Aerial Gunner is 1A7X1. In this AFSC, you could work helicopters or C-130 Gunships.

ETA: Why, oh why, cant I spell aerial?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck. I tried for 3 years to get into 1A7X1, with no joy. This is why (long story very short) the USAF will be short one more NCO come this November.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to fly, go Warrant... there is no better deal in any branch.

The pay is a little lower than a RLO would get, but all you do is fly, you do not have to worry about command billets, career path, etc. You just fly and do the small additonal duties you get assigned.... but do those small duties well as those make you stand out.

WOCS for someone coming straight in from the civilian side is 7 weeks (new program) right after you finish basic training, then flight school is about a year.

As for how life is as a Warrant, you get all the officer perks such as officer housing, but get left alone and don't deal with as much of the BS or have to jump as many hoops for every promotion.

I just pinned my CW2 Sunday, although I am not an aviator.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
as far as the uscg goes, not a lot of officer oportunities at a small boat station. if you want to do law enforcement, enlisted is absoluely the way to go. you have a good shot at getting a small boat station right out of boot camp (thats not to say that you wont end up on a cutter) i'm on a small cutter right now and we do more law enforcement than anything (and im on a harbor tug, not a patrol boat.) as far as aviation goes, i think its usually the flight mechanic (amt) who is the gunner. anyone who knows better feel free to correct me. the coast guard is a great gig, the responsibility given to you at the junior enlisted level is amazing, and no other service can beat it.   the coast guard is a true multimision force that takes care of its people and gives them some amazing life experiences.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top