Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 9:20:58 AM EDT
I'm going back overseas again in June (ish) this time to Iraq.  I have heard that it isnow possible to get a satelite or international cell phone that can be used to call the US from Iraq.

What the deal on that?  Is it an OPSEC issue?  What are $$$$$ costs?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
During OIF I we had Iridium phones that were used frequently for calling the States. They were expensive(about 2 grand each), but got the job done.

I don't know of any opsec concerns, but keep in mind that Iraq used to have some of the best direction finding equipment in the world. They were able to triangulate TACBE signals pretty quickly and move in fast. Someone still has that equipment. Since everyone already knows where the bases are, this probably isn't a concern at all since you won't be using it on patrols and such.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a Globalstar satellite phone with me when I go to Iraq.  I consider it part of my SHTF gear when I'm over there.  I use it daily and keep it charged.  Voice quality is very good, with about a 1 second satcom delay bouncing the signal to the US.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I carry a Globalstar satellite phone with me when I go to Iraq.  I consider it part of my SHTF gear when I'm over there.  I use it daily and keep it charged.  Voice quality is very good, with about a 1 second satcom delay bouncing the signal to the US.

are you in the military?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What's the cost, both initial outlay and operating costs?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Cell phones are widely available in Iraq.  They are prepaid affairs and the phone runs about $80 and comes with like $10 on your account.  You can recharge your account by buying phone cards for the correct network (Iraqna, Eezee, etc..) in denominations like $10, $20,or $30.  If you have an international phone and it is unlocked you can also buy a an Iraqi SIM card and just stick it in your phone, it cost just as much as the Iraqi cheap phone.  This is what I did since I have a PDA phone.  I would be conservative on the phone calls back to the US but would text message a ton and we would usually spend about $20-$30 a month.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Depends on your unit. Our son's unit wouldn't let them bring them. As others have said they are readily available over there. Part of it was because some cell phones have GPS's in them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top