Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2006 5:35:24 PM EDT
Before i deployed to the first gulf war one of my uncles gave me a couple things that belonged to my uncle robert who was killed in VN.

The first is a patch, either squre or diamond shaped, i'm not sure the correct orientation of the patch, its blue thread on white background with a dragons head.  the tongue of the dragon is sticking out its mouth and is trangular or arrowhead shaped. The second iten is a white metal pin with black enamel?  Two crossed arrows and a dagger and saw "de oppresso liber" on the bottom. the back of the pin has is marked D22 which looked like a mold mark or lot control number to me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Patch sounds like 18th airborne corps

Pin is Special Forces "de oppresso liber" "To liberate the oppressed"
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What CQB27 said
XVIII Airborne Corps
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]

SF Crest
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, those are them.  Although the patch doesnt have that rocker(?) along the top.

Would a colorfull patch like that have been worn on BDU's or is it something resticted to dress uniforms?

What does "18th airborne corps" mean?  is that like an army regimen/battalion/company or something.  Being a former Marine i have no knowledge of unit patches or Army unit breakdowns.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#5]
A Corp is composed of several divisions

Divisions ae composed of several brigades

Brigades are composed of several battalions, then companies, platoons, squads

Colored patches for class A's or dress blues, subdued for BDU's (cammies), only exception is the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
The 18th Airborne Corps is comprised of a bunch of divisions and units such as the 82nd ABN, 101st ABN etc. They're located at Fort Bragg, NC.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/xviii-corps.htm

The SF crest is worn on the Green Beret as well as their class A's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A Corp is composed of several divisions

Divisions ae composed of several brigades

Brigades are composed of several battalions, then companies, platoons, squads

Colored patches for class A's or dress blues, subdued for BDU's (cammies), only exception is the 1st Infantry Division (Big Red One)

This would depend on what year it was. When we first entered VN the Army was still wearing colored patches and white name strips on their fatiques. During the VN war they switched to subdued patches etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top