Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2006 8:09:39 PM EDT
I servedin the US Army from '96 through '00 as a 96B Intell Analyst.  Left with an Honorable as an E4.  I am a 10% disabled Vet due to a pretty messed up ankle.

I now have 2 Associates degrees plus numerous "free" college credits.  From talking with the recruiter I have gathered that the Army National Guard will take me and and allow me to enlist with OCS in my contract.  I still have to look into what units are around here - mostly aviation support, tanks, MP's, HMMWV mounted Cav Scouts, and a Stryker unit in PA a little bit South of here.  There are a few others too, but I'm not exactly sure what.

I know they will be pissed at me at work (LEO), but I can deal with that, even though it will probably cost me special assignments like SWAT etc.

What do Y'all think?

-K
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like MP would be fit a since your a LEO. maybe before you went to OCS you could get orders to K9 school, that might make you extra valuable to you department.  Does your ankle slow down your run time much for the test's?  I draw 10% myself for my foot getting screwed up.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I servedin the US Army from '96 through '00...

...and a Stryker unit in PA a little bit South of here.  There are a few others too, but I'm not exactly sure what.

What do Y'all think?

-K

if you come back, we could sure use the help.

P.S. - STRYKER unit in PA?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I servedin the US Army from '96 through '00...

...and a Stryker unit in PA a little bit South of here.  There are a few others too, but I'm not exactly sure what.

What do Y'all think?

-K

if you come back, we could sure use the help.

P.S. - STRYKER unit in PA?

Yup, PA NG has a Stryker brigade.

You are not alone, I see a lot of guys coming back in. 960B is a feeder MOS for the Warrant MOS 350H, you could also consider getting  back in your old MOS, making E-5, and dropping Warrant packet. Altough if you were to go back MI I would suggest USAR  over ARNG.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I just started the process of transferring from the IRR into the regular reserves myself. If all goes well I'll be joining an MI unit in Dallas, reclassing to a 97E and then transitioning to a 97B when I make E5.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I was never really happy in MI, so I've been thinking about something more "hands on".  I've been thinking MP, Infantry, or Scout mostly.  Avaition doesn't interest me much, and I don't like the idea staying Intel in an S2 shop in one of the battalions.

Anyone know much about Guard OCS?  What about going into an out of state Guard Unit as an officer?  I'm only 30 minutes from the PA border if I take my time, and the Strykers really aren't far.

-K
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Special k,
Where in New York? Long Island here and National Guard, feel free to IM me with any questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top