Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 7:34:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeez, what next? the Tomb Guards at Arlington? Sad to see. We're losing too many of our traditions.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]
They privatized the security of Annapolis. It was a long time coming. It's the side effect of the draw down in forces that started in the mid 90's, that took Marines: off of the gates of Naval Bases and Stations, out of ship's company, reassigned the responsibility for rear area security to the support element (despite the fact that Infantry is still the best trained/suited for the task).

They also had a mandate to take the infantry battalions up to 100 percent if they are not currently at 100 percent, as of the National Defense Authorization Act of fiscal year 2005. Those Marines had to come from somewhere. Recruiting wasn't going to be able to do it all, and certainly not immediately.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess they will be replacing the Marines with PSD types at all the Embassy soon then.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Guess they will be replacing the Marines with PSD types at all the Embassy soon then.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nah. Gurkhas or colombians.

Ya, thats what I said PSD types.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
They better not.  I wanna go MSG after this stint in the grunts here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Posts like that should remain in the military (coming from a contractor).  We had one of those USMC special buriel guys show up in Iraq.  He thought lugging a casket around in horse and pony shows made him pretty hot shiite.  He can march with the best of them and be snappy about it, but what a tool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:20:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Youre in the 96th?

Roger that, been here since Feb 02.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#12]
what a crock of shit.   why are we pissing our traditions away???
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Part of the 3rd Infantry deployed last year. It was a company size detachment and was more symbolic than anything else, but it was a message that no one is above deployment.

Quoted:
Jeez, what next? the Tomb Guards at Arlington? Sad to see. We're losing too many of our traditions.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If the Marines are spread so thin that they have to deploy honor guards we got troubles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a big shit sandwich and everyone will get the oppurtunity to take a bite.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Part of the 3rd Infantry deployed last year. It was a company size detachment and was more symbolic than anything else, but it was a message that no one is above deployment.

Quoted:

It was Bravo Co, 3rd US Infantry (The Old Guard) they went to Djibouti  -- being a fomer member of Co B, I was very proud.

(There is a special platoon in E Co that guards the Tomb though).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It was Bravo Co, 3rd US Infantry (The Old Guard) they went to Djibouti  -- being a fomer member of Co B, I was very proud.

(There is a special platoon in E Co that guards the Tomb though).

Orion Six, What's the deal with everyone wearing Honor Guard tabs, and why doesn't the TOG web page list  E Co as a line company anymore? When I was in  E Co (Honor Guard) we were the only company that wore the Honor Guard tab.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#19]
By the time I got to TOG in 1991 everyone was wearing Honor Guard tabs; not sure when it changed although I was aware that previously only E Co did wear them.  Not sure what the impetus was, but I suspect it was a "feel good" sort of thing. (From the practical perspective though I can see that moving people in and out one company could result in a great deal of tailoring.) When I left in 1994, I was in the 3 shop an assisting one of the officers in the MTOE change that would eventually allow women into TOG.  This was about the time some commission had determined that women needed to be more "visible" in the military.  More people were interested in them being things like fighter pilots, however the Tomb also came up on someone's radar.  Anyway, TOG at the time had an MTOE of a reinforced Air Assault Bn; the MTOE was modified to give the Regiment an organic MP platoon solely for the purpose of making women eligible to be Tomb Guards.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I got to TOG in 1973. To be in the Bn you had to be 5'10" or taller. But E Co was stricker, you had to be between 6'2" to 6'5" tall. It made a real difference looking at pictures of the Bn on Summeral field. Wasn't it a Clinton thing when they rolled the MP's into the Bn so females had a chance to become tomb guards.

On the thing about tomb guards not being able to fight, every NCO I knew in '74 had a CIB and either a Bronze or Silver Star medal from VN. These weren't issued as chest candy to some REMF but were 11B's that earned them in combat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#21]
The women at the Tomb plan was a Clinton era thing for certain; part of the bigger picture - we actually almost snuck in under the radar and then some aide who had been to the Tomb 5-6 times said something; I guess we should give her kudos beucase she was actually paying attention, but to all the wrong things.

TOG like anyplace goes through cycles; when I got there in '91 we had an NCO corps that had a large percentage of SSG's and SFCes that were in a cycle of 3-4 years at Ft. Myer - a year in Korea - then back - my first squad leader prided himself on how little time he had in the field ( he is now doing life at Leavenworth)http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/lbryan.htm for that story.

Of course we had people that were in a simialr cycle with Bragg and the 82nd, so we had plenty of experienced people as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Animal Guard, checking in here.
Report date was July 1991.  HHC in 94 for a few months, then Panama, then back to Delta CO (TOG), then ECHO, TANGO, SUITCASE.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
In y'alls time did Charlie Guard wear a duffus looking patch on their right breast pocket of their BDU's? I'm glad I wasn't in Alpha Co. pulling funeral duty was a real pain for them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#24]
No strange Charlie Guard patches in my day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#25]
this makes me a little bit sad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top