Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:55:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
HA!
you don't have to be a Marine to remember that stuff!

Don't forget Leather Luster for the boots...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#2]
umm....old skool?

i used that stuff when i first joined, but when i had about a year left we switched to the new cammies.

i never really used M-Nu. flat black spray paint worked good enough. a black marker works in a pinch.

didn't really use much brass polish. everything now is anodized.

i did use plenty of shoe polish. i never liked the look of corfram shoes. i used leather low quarters.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that's funny. When I saw the M-NU I just laughed. My first memory, letting some shitbird borrow it and he put it back in my polishing kit with the top loose. I open it up, and guess what, it was everywhere, had to throw the whole kit away.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:14:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HA!
you don't have to be a Marine to remember that stuff!

Don't forget Leather Luster for the boots...

+1

1984  <sigh>
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
didn't really use much brass polish. everything now is anodized.

Well yeah, that would have been easy.   But the Drill Instructors wouldn't let us use anodized brass.  We had to wear the regular brass.  And it would tarnish in about 5 minutes.  Then the Drill Instructors would PT the crap out of us for having tarnished brass on our uniforms..  Talk about a modern day torture device....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh the memories...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Party supplies for every Thursday night......

+ +
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
DAMN funny!  Thanks for the late night laugh.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:25:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Damn, GunnyG beat me to it with the wax and buffer!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#12]
SSSS
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:03:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Should have sold that stuff by the gallon.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Those friggen CG Inspection preps. Three weeks getting ready and they skip your area!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:29:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Always used it but after a few applications you either buffed down with Emory cloth or had some nasty looking emblems, EGA I just went and purchased new ones.

Anyone remember Listerine after shave?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#17]
How many others here qualified Expert with the buffer?

TXL
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#18]
expert, buffer...

dont forget to replace the mophead with a gi towel for laying down consistent wax amounts...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well how many of you wrapped a wire coat hanger around the wax can and lit the wax on fire to melt it? Did you use the can lid to put the fire out or be real men and pour the burning wax on the floor?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:58:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images.orgill.com/200x200/9371766.JPG

Well how many of you wrapped a wire coat hanger around the wax can and lit the wax on fire to melt it? Did you use the can lid to put the fire out or be real men and pour the burning wax on the floor?

Expert badge for the buffer, of course I used the coat hanger.  Did use the lid to put it out though.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expert badge for the buffer, of course I used the coat hanger.  Did use the lid to put it out though.

TXL

Newbies!!! It's your turn to buy the pizza! In the mean time, lemme teach ya:

You steal get a large soup spoon from the chow hall, take a scoop from the can of wax, [Napalm !!] light it on fire with your bic, let the burning wax drip off the spoon, onto the deck.... <thppppt, thppppt, thppppt> ... and buff to a high shine....

ETA: Semper Field-Day-Us, my fellow Marines!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heck we'd have 3 buffers going at once. One guy with the lit can of wax feading all of them.

We'd wax/ buff the tile in the showwer too. Never had anyone slip in it either.

TXL

Newbies!!! It's your turn to buy the pizza! In the mean time, lemme teach ya:

You steal get a large soup spoon from the chow hall, take a scoop from the can of wax, [Napalm !!] light it on fire with your bic, let the burning wax drip off the spoon, onto the deck.... <thppppt, thppppt, thppppt> ... and buff to a high shine....

ETA: Semper Field-Day-Us, my fellow Marines!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#23]
The thing that pops into my mind is one of my Drill instructors helping us get ready for an inspection.

He stood on the quarterdeck with a spray bottle full of Listerene(sp) in one hand and a spray bottle full of Aqua Velva in the other. You would walk up, open your mouth, close your eyes, and get a facefull of mouthwash and a mouth full of cologne.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#24]
How about using blousing rubbers to pull the blankets tight on your bunk!  

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I got out of the Marines in 1986.....and in 1995 I had gotten some very old brass doorknobs that needed polishing. I told my wife to get some brass polish, and she came home with Duraglit. I opened the can and instantly flashed back to boot camp from the smell. Wow!
Yep, the Marines.....kick ass, take names, sweep, swab, and shine!

Edit: oh, and I just used flat black enamel model paint for my emblems and rank structure.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#26]
The first thing that pops into my head: glad I got the hell out!  

Dan
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#27]
What did I think of?...the fucking art work I had to do on my cartridge belt before inspections. That was first. Do we have to go on?...

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:51:30 PM EDT
[#28]
wow.... flashbacks "r" us........  Think I gotta go clean my rifle now.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:50:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The thing that pops into my mind is one of my Drill instructors helping us get ready for an inspection.

He stood on the quarterdeck with a spray bottle full of Listerene(sp) in one hand and a spray bottle full of Aqua Velva in the other. You would walk up, open your mouth, close your eyes, and get a facefull of mouthwash and a mouth full of cologne.

That's a memory that stands out in my mind.  It was for an inspection the day before graduation.  For some reason, THAT is the time when I found it most difficult to not simply knock that damn smokey hat off his head and pop him in the nose.  I guess because we were so close to being done...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Aqua Velva ?

Never had the pleasure of it in Boot Camp, all we had was mouthwash in the Wiskey Locker.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Aqua Velva ?

Never had the pleasure of it in Boot Camp, all we had was mouthwash in the Wiskey Locker.

Which Depot did you go through?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aqua Velva ?

Which Depot did you go through?

P.I. 3rd Battalion, but then that was in 1978 as well.

Laundry day was wash racks and a bottle of Wisk and a scrub brush, smoking lamp was lit if you were a smoker after wash and everyone still wore Sateen's.

Covers were placed on a cover block and starched to be baked in the S.C. sun.

P.T. gear was nothing more than boots, Sateen trousers and a white skivvy’s shirt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

P.I. 3rd Battalion

Me too, but in 1999. Aqua Velva gets a lot of use there now(at least I assume it still does).

MCRD San Diego also has mandatory purchase cologne, but it smells like ass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top