Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:36:36 PM EDT
...holy shit they gave me a nice room here.  I was half expecting to be in a squad-bay again, but instead I get a room with my buddy that has a bath-tub, towels, TV/VCR with cable, a medium fridge that works, desks, and real closets.  Too bad I'm only staying in the room for a week, then it's off to the field for 5 days for a little survival, evasion, resistance, and escape .  

Sure beats the hell out of my last stay in Coronado
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
SERE in southern CA, never heard of that. and only 5 days? doesnt sound like SERE school to me. is this a unit level training? you got cheated. i went to Maine and froze my balls off for SERE. my brother went through it at Fairchild in Washington state. we still argue about who was colder/wetter/hungrier hahaha
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
5 days of classes in Coronado, 5 days in the field up by Camp Pen somewhere.  It's run by the Navy, that's probably why it's so short/easy.  Class will probably be full of Marines and sailors with a few of them being women maybe (hopefully).  Either way, I'm gonna be spooning like it's cool next week.  Seems like the rainy season is just starting down here in not so sunny CA

edit:  I think it may be 6 in the field.  My buddies that I came with don't know for sure.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
sometimes those unit level tranings are better than going to school. all the knowledge...half the hardship. then i got off of AD and went to the reserves i used to run similar programs for the reserve pilots on 4 day drill weekends.

man you better hope there arent any chicks on that trip. nothing but trouble. and funky..oooooow funky. chicks get pretty ripe after 5 days with no shower. and talk about spooning. when i went through cold weather training at bridgeport CA we had to do what they call "buddy baggin" which is 2 man in a sleeping bag. it was part of the final exam when they dump you in the boonies for 2 days. they give each pair of men 1 sleeping bag. well im a big guy and i fill the bag myself so they had to find the smallest guy to pair with me, a S/S who was all of 5'5 and 140lbs. for the rest of the school it was "hey dvl, wheres your girlfriend"  goddamn that sucked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ate steak and lobster at the chow hall here.  This place is ridiculous.  Damned squids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
.... It's run by the Navy, that's probably why it's so short/easy....  

Well it might be easy now in the "kinder and gentler" military, but 20 years ago, it was a PITA.

Have fun out there.

BTW,  if Doug Hegdahl is still an instructor there, be sure to thank him for his service.  He has dedicated a lifetime to preparing Sailors and Marines for the worst possible situation.  He truly is a hero....and a nice guy, too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Orders were screwed up, sere starts next monday.  Now we get to chill here for a week and check in at Camp Pen by phone.  Sweet
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Coronado is an awesome facility. I had NavLead school there after my command screwed up my orders and I had to go to Southern Cal in December instead of here in CT. E-6 had single man rooms with maid service and the chow hall was quite tasty. School consisted of lecture mornings with computer-based training in the afternoon. I got a head's up from my step-son to do the online course ahead of time and myself and my shipmate had afternoons free. We managed to get a couple rounds of golf in at Balboa and watched some nice scenary at the beach.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ya I agree, Coronado is a nice base.  Good food at the chow hall and the E-Club (Gator Gardens) was a good time.  I was there twice going through the CRRC (combat rubber raiding craft - Zodiac boats) training in '87 and '89.  Didn't get rooms though - squadbays just like at Camp Horno.  

Dan
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Gator Gardens is long gone..........and that was at NAB, not NASNI.......NASNI is set up with some very nice accomodations and services.    Either way, sad day to see all of the E-Clubs disappear.  Thanks Bill Clinton, good call.  

Have fun at SERE.........should be at Warner Springs.  I have detailed sketches and maps..............for a price.

Good Luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully he his having fun. I'm sure the weather isn't too bad down there. I went in May last here on Ft. Bragg. It and wet and in the 50's. That sucked enough. I saw guys during January that were out there when the weather was well below freezing. That would be a whole nother ball game dealing with evertyhing that happens..
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
What happened to Gator Gardens?  Fighting with SEALS should count as SERE training.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
5 days of classes in Coronado, 5 days in the field up by Camp Pen somewhere.  It's run by the Navy, that's probably why it's so short/easy.  Class will probably be full of Marines and sailors with a few of them being women maybe (hopefully).   Either way, I'm gonna be spooning like it's cool next week.  Seems like the rainy season is just starting down here in not so sunny CA

edit:  I think it may be 6 in the field.  My buddies that I came with don't know for sure.

I shoulda been careful of what I wished for.  My SERE buddy is a female navy officer.  Nearly half the class are pilots too.  To the field for a week on Friday.  Wish I could talk about the rest of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#13]
San Diego! Drink it in. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
SERE is up at Warner Springs.  You get to clean and eat any illegal aliens you can catch.  It is no cake walk, although the weather is not near as bad as the heat of Summer.  Unfortunately you are high enough that you get get temps around freezing, and if you get sloppy weather.

High desert, mostly chapparal and scrub brush.  Not much in the way of tree cover.  Unfortunately, it's also hibernations season for the snakes and lizards so the food supply will be harder to catch.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
We had a nice cold front on Sunday night.  15 degrees.  I also got to suck the eye out of a rabbits head and get slapped around by a guy that is called the Juggernaut. Gotta love the field.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
If you get too bored you could go help the BUDS Trainees make "sugar cookies" on the beach
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top