Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:50:59 AM EDT
I know people have been traveling too and rom theatre in ACU/BDU/DCU's but on the news this morning they ahve all the kids leaving Ft. Leonard Wood travelling through St. Louis on their way home in this uniform.  When did the travel rules change for people not going to and from theatre?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen uniformed personnel in airports too, and I think it's a bad idea.  That can make you a glaring target for anyone with a terrorist agenda.  Uniforms on military air, fine, but have civies with you in case you have to switch to commercial.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Its only against policy on international flights, unless you are returning from or returning to theatre. Domestic aint violation of DOD policy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its only against policy on international flights, unless you are returning from or returning to theatre. Domestic aint violation of DOD policy.

When did this change? When I was in, a long time ago, you could only wear class A or B uniforms off the base. Back then we couldn't run around in field uniforms.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When did this change? When I was in, a long time ago, you could only wear class A or B uniforms off the base. Back then we couldn't run around in field uniforms.

February of this year, IIRC.

I remember reading something about it in the Army Times or Stars and Stripes.

I don't do it, myself. I don't even wear Class A's.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Always travel in civvies. Thats it. I never wear my uniform off post unless its to and from home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The official change came out in October. I have a copy sitting on my desk at work. The policy change was because of all the soldiers returning on mid tour leave from Iraq. They didn't have civies or a dress uniform in Iraq.

I think it's cool because the troops get immediate recognition when traveling and the cheers from other passengers makes a soldier proud to be a soldier.

But of course, Cadet Command is the exception.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
The last official thing I saw was that it's not allowed except for soldiers on the R&R program from the Irak or Afganistan theaters.  In that case most of the planes have multiple soldiers in uniform so it doesn't make much difference.  Since you have a 747 flying in (chartered by the military) with nothing but military on it from Kuwait, it's not hard to track them if you wanted to target them.  Even if they changed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked my eldest son up from X-mas Exodus at FLW, he arrived in ACU's too. I expected to see him in A's.

Quoted:
I know people have been traveling too and rom theatre in ACU/BDU/DCU's but on the news this morning they ahve all the kids leaving Ft. Leonard Wood travelling through St. Louis on their way home in this uniform.  When did the travel rules change for people not going to and from theatre?

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran into some chaps in BDUs travelling from Basic to AIT at the USO in Dallas last month. I asked the same question, because other than the DCU/ACU crowd coming from OIF/OEF, I had only been aware of people travelling home from Basic/OSUT/AIT in Class As.

There was still the odd A-uniform going around as well. I'm still confused.

The rules have evidently changed. I don't have a problem with it. Personally, I think BDUs are a little too informal for travel, but that's just me. I think Bs should be quite relaxed enough.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It is new official policy. All soldiers traveling CONUS on orders will wear combat uniform. Exceptions allowed by unit commanders for security. The R&R uniform policy was such a good PR/recruiting tool that they want to increase visibility. Was read the order in formation in November, i think i recieved it on AKO email as well. I'll have to check.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks unclestu - bad idea IMO - if you want people out in uniform; A & B's are more appropriate.  I don't partiuclarly like our A's & B's but nonetheless they would be more appropriate.  I wish we had the "pink & greens" of the WWII era.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks unclestu - bad idea IMO - if you want people out in uniform; A & B's are more appropriate.  I don't partiuclarly like our A's & B's but nonetheless they would be more appropriate.  I wish we had the "pink & greens" of the WWII era.

I heard they're going back to Dress Blues to replace the green class A's
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:12:32 PM EDT
[#13]
last i saw they were looking at grey uniforms with belts.  saw them in that paper in the px.  hopefully just an idea.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
last i saw they were looking at grey uniforms with belts.  saw them in that paper in the px.  hopefully just an idea.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]
while we're on the subject, what's with TSA selecting EVERY GI in DCU for the

"supplemental screening?"

is it to kick off my mid-tour leave with one last government sponsored bang?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
when i came back from baghdad in september, official rules permitted wearing of DCU's on the way home. as in from baghdad to your front door. My group opted to go in civies, but the option was available.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I noticed that too. After having some Air Force cops hand search every little thing I had, I have to now take my boots off and damn near strip in Dallas?!?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
when i came back from baghdad in september, official rules permitted wearing of DCU's on the way home. as in from baghdad to your front door. My group opted to go in civies, but the option was available.

We were told DCUs all the way home. Since my family live in Vienna, and I got off at Frankfurt, I decided to change into civvies when I got off the .mil flight.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that too. After having some Air Force cops hand search every little thing I had, I have to now take my boots off and damn near strip in Dallas?!?

Same thing in Charlotte.......... I did see the little screen pop up additional security check when i wnet to board my plane there and the ticket agent told me to just go on in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The law is written that military personel traveling on orders are -supposed to be- exempt from the secondary, or random supplemental searches, or whatever they are called.  Only the initial screenings are supposed to be required.  But that sometimes seems to just make them search you extra hard there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top