Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2005 3:29:39 PM EDT
I am currently trying to buy a house using a VA loan, having spent 4 years active duty with the 101st and two and a half years with the Virginia Army National Guard.  I have served a year in Iraq.  So why is Veteran's Affairs fucking me?  The house I am trying to buy is on the market for $194,950 and, IMO a good deal.  The VA appraisor has appraised the house at a mere 180,000 dollars when I have seen houses for 170+ dollars in SHITTY condition.  So, basically, the VA appraisors appraise my house too low, and the loan won't cover the 15,000 dollar difference, tanking the deal.  Apparently, the VA is notorious for this.  Anyway, anyone else have similar stories?  I just want to know why the hell this guy has to fuck me, I really think I earned a little better than this.

My Congressperson will definitely here about this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I dunno. I started out with a VA loan, but switched over to a much better FHA loan. I think the VA loan is good for not getting screwed in fees, and I get the sense that if you have iffy credit the VA may help out a bit but the VA appraisal is arbitrary sometimes. And the fact that it can completely sink a deal made me nervous, so I didn't use it.

I think there are better loans out there to go with.I
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think there are better loans out there to go with.I

+1

I had a VA loan back in 1989.  It went through OK, but they sure seem to make it a lot harder than it should be.  I'd shop around some and see if you can find something else that is a little more user friendly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about this, I'm on a VA loan right now and it went through pretty smooth.
The VA appraiser was actually about 20,000 over the selling price.
Guess alot depends on the appraiser...
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can swing it get a private apprasial.  If they differ request a meeting with VA folks and ask WTF?
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:26:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I went througha realtor that deals almost entirely with VA loans. He knew how to deal with the VA and made the process as easy as pie for me. I think having a good realtor makes all the differenc ein the world.

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your loan. I think the VA home loan is one of the best benefits we get for serving. Good luck though, home ownership is deffinately a positive thing. Only problem is that when something breaks, you can't call a maintenance guy to come fix it. I've had to become quite handy around the house.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I had no problems with my VA purchase.. can you get another apprasial?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]
My VA loan appraiser did the opposite.

House would appraise for well over $250,000.

Asking price was 170,000.   (Good deal from my best friend.)

Appraiser says $170,000 it is.

Now I cannot get a second, or line of credit, for 6 months even though I know there will be equity.  In 6 months, I can get it re-appraised, then either refi, line of credit, or second.  

Houses are now on the way down.  I will be okay, but damn.

Cannot complain about the 5.15 % intrest though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I went througha realtor that deals almost entirely with VA loans. He knew how to deal with the VA and made the process as easy as pie for me. I think having a good realtor makes all the differenc ein the world.

+1
I found that there are Realtors out there who almost if not never do/have done VA loans, and that can really make it difficult. Best bet is to find one who has done several, as they will know all the hoops you'll need to jump through.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]
how are the rates on va loans?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It's whatever you get from the bank. The VA is kind of a co-signer.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a new apprasial from a different guy.  If they ask, tell them you seem to have some sort of conflict with the original guy.  Does the price fit with the realtors work?  There are a few issues you could get addressed and get this cleared up.

I have used VA twice and never had a problem, it is usually trouble free.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

right...the VA loan isnt exaclty a "loan" persay...

its pretty much a guarantee that you can get the loan.  "guarantee" might be too strong of a word but you know what i mean.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Update... long story short is the appraiser came up, the seller came down, and I own a house!  What a nightmare!  I had already put paperwork on an apartment when the word came that I could close on the house.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Update... long story short is the appraiser came up, the seller came down, and I own a house!  What a nightmare!  I had already put paperwork on an apartment when the word came that I could close on the house.

You call that a happy ending? Welcome to your newest headache.

Good luck, and have fun at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Go buy a ladder, a nice 12 footer, one of those four way folding jobs for 140 bucks.  

While not much use in an apartment or for the single guy, they are always useful at Christmas for putting up your new lights on your new house.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Congratulations.  We're closing on our first house (VA loan, too) at the end of the month, assuming it appraises for around 144.  We're also trying to make them fix the electrical hazards.  Katrina storm damage is already under contract to be fixed.

Of course, my orders only keep me in NOLA for another year and a half, so it will be interesting to see which way the value of the house goes during that time.

Have fun with your new house!  What a rollercoaster, huh?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

right...the VA loan isnt exaclty a "loan" persay...

its pretty much a guarantee that you can get the loan.  "guarantee" might be too strong of a word but you know what i mean.

Igot quoted rates for VA loans at 1.25% over what I could get through regular loans.  No deal there.  Just the loan companies screwing the serviceman.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, VA loans are generally about a point or more higher than conventional.  You can pay extra points though to buy down your rate.  The nice things about using it though is that you can buy if you don't have any down payment at all and you can avoid paying PMI all together.  If something happens and you default, it also takes 6 months before they can close on you.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You call that a happy ending? Welcome to your newest headache.
Good luck, and have fun at Home Depot.

There are times when I actually kind of miss the no-hassle apartment living... until I remember that you pay all that money and never build any equity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top