Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 5:14:05 AM EDT
hey guys , i never thought I make it  but 2 wars is enough for one lifetime .  retireing from the NC guard
so what paper work  and va stuff doI need to get  done by  my last day . (my current s-1 is a dick)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure you get a copy of your medical records before you separate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Make sure you get a copy of your medical records before you separate.

Not to dis you, but 'copy hell.'

Walk in, tell them you're going to the Er, or made a Same Day appt - something that requires you to have your records RFN.

Walk out the bldg and take them home.

Illegal...yes.

Backstop = the guy who didn't do this, and his records were lost.  BIG LOSS.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump on that, copy everything in your medical paperwork.  I went to Kinko's.  If you get any type of disability they will keep your records.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bump on that, copy everything in your medical paperwork.  I went to Kinko's.  If you get any type of disability they will keep your records.

I don't know about NG retirement, but I do know that the active army takes your medical records at the transition point. I am retiring after 29 years. I report to the "seperation transition point" next wednesday and was told I have to turn in my "original" medical and dental records.  I was told by the transition point personnel the records would be turned over to the VA.  I was strongly advised to make a copy, so I spent about an hour at my unit copying my records.  I still have to retrieve copies of my records held at various civilian doctors for illnesses/injuries treated through Tricare Prime Remote.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hey guys , i never thought I make it  but 2 wars is enough for one lifetime .  retireing from the NC guard
so what paper work  and va stuff doI need to get  done by  my last day . (my current s-1 is a dick)

Colt

I would strongly suggest you attend one of the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) classes presented at an active military installation. Each service presents these classes, if your interested I will try and dig out a web address to get you started. They will present a lot of material regards the VA and health care benefits, and education benefits you may have never considered. The TAP classes are oriented to active duty personnel seperating (ETS or retirement), but provide a lot of information that is applicable to both Reserve and Active component soldiers.

I am also retiring this year, as a matter of fact I am on Transition leave right now, officially retiring in Jan 06. The TAP I attended had seperating military from all services (bot active and reserve).
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just a suggestion - have all of your records digitally scanned and burned onto a CD...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top