Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 11:14:18 AM EDT
My National Guard company is in New Orleans right now.  Unfortuantly the docs think I might have an ulcer, so I couldn't go.  So I work at the Armory, answering phones and making sure the place doesn't burn down or get ripped off.  An older gentleman comes in and I ask him if I can help him.  That's when I notice the Medal of Honor around his neck.  I saluted him and he says he's just there to visit, he's in town for a MOH convention and saw my Armory.  

Turns out he's Colonel Lewis Lee Millet.  He served in three wars, WWII, Korea and 7 years in Vietnam.  He was awarded the MOH for leading the last bayonet charge by the US Army in Korea.  This guy was something, and the stories he told.  In 1941, he was disappointed the Roosevelt wouldn't get us in the fight (this was before Pearl Harbor) so he deserted and joined up with the Canadian army and went over to Europe and fought.  He joined back up with the American Army in England in 1942.  The Army took a year to think about it but finally decided to charge him with desertion.  He was courtmaritaled and convicted of desertion, but he had already earned two bronze stars and a silver star by the time the Army got around to convict him.  So they decided not to impose any sentence and promoted him from Sgt. to 2nd LT.  So he's the only Colonel to have both been awarded the MOH and charged with desertion.  

Here's his citation:

Medal of Honor Citation  
MILLETT, LEWIS L.

RANK AND ORGANIZATION: Captain, U.S. Army, Company E,27th Infantry Regiment.
BORN: 15 December 1920, Mechanic Falls, Maine.
ENTERED SERVICE AT:Mechanic Falls, Maine.
PLACE AND DATE: Vicinity of Soam-Ni, Korea, 7 February 1951.

CITATION:

Capt. Millett, Company E, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action. While personally leading his company in an attack against a strongly held position he noted that the 1st Platoon was pinned down by small-arms, automatic, and antitank fire. Capt. Millett ordered the 3d Platoon forward, placed himself at the head of the 2 platoons, and, with fixed bayonet, led the assault up the fire swept hill. In the fierce charge Capt. Millett bayoneted 2 enemy soldiers and boldly continued on, throwing grenades, clubbing and bayoneting the enemy, while urging his men forward by shouting encouragement. Despite vicious opposing fire, the whirlwind hand-to-hand assault carried to the crest of the hill. His dauntless leadership and personal courage so inspired his men that they stormed into the hostile position and used their bayonets with such lethal effect that the enemy fled in wild disorder. During this fierce onslaught Capt. Millett was wounded by grenade fragments but refused evacuation until the objective was taken and firmly secured. The superb leadership, conspicuous courage, and consummate devotion to duty demonstrated by Capt. Millett were directly responsible for the successful accomplishment of a hazardous mission and reflect the highest credit on himself and the heroic traditions of the military service.

Korean War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that must have worth staying behind for! Lew Millet is a real live hero in every sense of the word.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. That was probably worth missing the trip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Kick Ass. The World owes men like him an unpayable debt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#5]
That mans a killer, and got more ribbons than most 4 stars.  Kinda like a commissioned version of the CSM in "We Were Soldiers", definitely need more guys like that today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top