Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:22 PM EDT
This guy I've known since high school (15 years ago) is telling people that he was a SEAL. His story is this - He says "I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Like I said, I've known him since I was 15 years old (and he was 16), and he was always a storyteller. Now he has people around town thinking he's ultra cool because he says he was a SEAL.

What questions do I ask?

His class number?

The date he graduated from from BUDS/S?

I know there is another training session before one is awarded their trident - what was that called?

Thanks,
Lincoln
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ask to see his DD214, his discharge papers.  It will list the schools he has completed and the commands he was detailed to.  If a SEAL Team is not listed, he never was a SEAL.  It takes 12-18 months after BUD/S to get a Trident.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
After BUDS is SQT---Seal Qualification Training---18 weeks in length. No I am not a SEAL but I just read about this in "Down Range" by Dick Couch who also wrote "The Warrior Elite" and "The Finishing School". All good reference on SEALs and their training.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't the SEALS have  web site somehwere to verify stuff like this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't the SEALS have  web site somehwere to verify stuff like this?

Yeah, but it's all official looking; as if it were meant for employers or government users.

Besides, I already know he's full of it (he was engaged to my sister's best friend right after high school, while he was in the Navy) - I just want to ask him these things in front of some people that think he's special because he told them he was a SEAL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask him what color the lighthouse on Coronado island is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
ask him what the "S" stands for in BUD/S.  if he says school, he a poser ass son of a bitch!  "S" is for seal.

not a hard question, but you never know!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:46:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ask him what color the lighthouse on Coronado island is.

LMFAO.  

"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:49:16 AM EDT
[#8]

"I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Quit..... Not a SEaL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This guy I've known since high school (15 years ago) is telling people that he was a SEAL. His story is this - He says "I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Like I said, I've known him since I was 15 years old (and he was 16), and he was always a storyteller. Now he has people around town thinking he's ultra cool because he says he was a SEAL.

What questions do I ask?

His class number?

The date he graduated from from BUDS/S?

I know there is another training session before one is awarded their trident - what was that called?

Thanks,
Lincoln

Those are good places to start.  Also.........who was the CO at the Center when he was a trainee, where he was assigned (that he hated it so much), name of class OIC, and other guys in his class, etc.  

www.cyberseals.org or authentiseal.something-or-other will help you once you have some basic info for them to go with, and  a reason they deem suitable for an investigation into it.  

While there have been a few that have volunteered out, it is not very common, and always for a better reason than "I didn't like it".  

If he gives you any answers such as "I don't remember" or a real keeper "It's classified", you can be 100% certain he is FOS.  Those are things you will never forget, and none of that info is classified.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top