Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2005 10:38:31 AM EDT
Anyone know if part of the required training for obtaining a DL can be completed online?  If so, can you point me to a URL on AKO?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
you mean a tmp licence?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
haveEven the guy who crumpled the side of one of our strykers got his license, and it was good for HMMVS, and LMTV's. (even though we never even touched one!lol!)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can do it online? We just have schools ya go to here at Ft. Lewis, and you can't really fail.
Even the guy who crumpled the side of one of our strykers got his license, and it was good for HMMVS, and LMTV's. (even though we never even touched one!lol!)

Well, my confidence in the 6-wheeled mistake just went down even further...

If a traffic accident can make a dent...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You can do it online? We just have schools ya go to here at Ft. Lewis, and you can't really fail.
Even the guy who crumpled the side of one of our strykers got his license, and it was good for HMMVS, and LMTV's. (even though we never even touched one!lol!)

That's what i'm trying to find out.  I don't want to stick one of the sergeants in my PLT with driving for 8 hours to our next weekend FTX, and I have other training during the next drill which will prevent me from obtaining one then.  (I'm a CDT in a PL slot).  --So what i'm wondering is if the classroom stuff can be completed online, so then i can just take the stupid on-road test early in the day before we LD.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, my confidence in the 6-wheeled mistake just went down even further...

If a traffic accident can make a dent...

If ya run into it hard enough...

Actually, all the soldiers from the 25th ID I spoke with at Ft. Lewis when i was there this summer (hooah north fort...) that were opfor for us said they actually liked the Stryker quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
just get your ulls clerk to print you a license. It's up to the master driver in your unit and the post SOP on what traing you need for a license.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#7]
tried.  might see if i can get someone with a little rank to get twist an arm, but the ulls dude wasn't very receptive to the idea of going around the 'required' training and he's new, too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
just get your ulls clerk to print you a license. It's up to the master driver in your unit and the post SOP on what traing you need for a license.

WRONG.

AR 600-55 spells out exactly what is required, and the master driver CANNOT make up a criteria that does not meet the minimum requirements set forth in AR 600-55. If they are, and some gets in a serious accident, prepare for all hell to come down on you.

And it is, to the best of my knowledge (and I do this), not available online.

Do not shortcut your divers training program.... no more than you would your weapons training. It will come back to haunt you if you do.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
tried.  might see if i can get someone with a little rank to get twist an arm, but the ulls dude wasn't very receptive to the idea of going around the 'required' training and he's new, too.

Sounds like your ULLS clerk is on the ball and your on your way to a bad start of a military career.

If your NCO's didn't want to be stuck driving they should have handled this before the last minute.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like your ULLS clerk is on the ball and your on your way to a bad start of a military career.

If your NCO's didn't want to be stuck driving they should have handled this before the last minute.

I'd been told elsewhere by multiple people including an 0-6 that the two day class for the basic license can be waived.  Apparently not.

I think you're a little short of sleep.  Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The only waiver allowed is for NON-TACTICAL vehicles with a GVW of under 10,000 pounds and it must come from an installation commander, or for USAR the RSC Commander and for ARNG the state Adjudant General.

There are no waivers for even that at company or battalion level.

There are no waivers for tactical vehicle operators, period.

Even an Incedental Permit, the closest one to what you want to do, requires testing and instruction.

I have seen careers and lives ruined over this, so I take it very seriously. I get peope all the time telling me that things are waiverable..... but unless they can find it in the AR, it is not so. And when the accident happens and the training is not there, whoever signed that license is in deep trouble, no matter who said otherwise.

Been there, done that, always had my shit in order and damm glad I did.

I suggest you download AR 600-55 and look into it, and if your unit lacks a functioning divers training program or SOP I can direct you to the resources you would need to fix that.

But shortcuts in training and standards get soldiers killed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Roger that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Back in the 80's when I was in ,I did the scheduling for drivers licenses. I would never skip any part of what was required training. No way no how. Especially if it could come back to bite me in the ass and I would lose rank over it. I kept it on the up and up. This was in Germany. I do also have to say most of our guys didn't want to go past a 19 pac bus. The streets in germany were narrow,and if (God forbid) you hit a german whether it was their fault or not. You were guilty. Good luck. Take the training.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top