Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2005 7:11:36 PM EDT
I remember when my father used to wear  them in the 60's. I thought they looked cool. They were long gone by the time I got my turn.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You mean like on I dream of Jeanie?  Like the Major wore?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I wore the OD fatigues for a few years but never the khakis.  I'm sorta looking forward to the new BDUs....no real reason why, just something different.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:12:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wore the OD fatigues for a few years but never the khakis.  I'm sorta looking forward to the new BDUs....no real reason why, just something different.

lol...typical .mil fix for a problem that doesn't exist. I want the fatigues back!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahh the beloved pickle outfit, it was cool when we wore the greens at Ft Dix with our berets.   All the army guys thought we were some SF unit
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey I was issued the AF Khakis in basic. Hated them, they were phased out in my first year of service. Old Fart.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#7]

I was issued 1505's in basic also. That was in Jan '75.
Not many after us were. While the collars were dumb looking, they were pretty comfortable.
Mine languished, since I wore Hosp whites primarily,and are still in my old duffle at my bro's house.

Prior to the 1505's the AF issued a uniform that resembled the WW2 British Desert Uniform, long socks, shorts, pith helmet and all.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...typical .mil fix for a problem that doesn't exist. I want the fatigues back!

the Pickle Suit was far and away, the most comfortable and easy maintenance uniform EVER!  True wash-n-wear....too bad they showed oil stains so badly (but nothing a quick soak in 7808 wouldn't fix)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Pickle suits were really comfortable with light or medium starch.
Double heavy starch for inspection and Sheppard AFB summer temperatures were another matter, UGGG.

I wore my pickle pants after I got out until I could no longer get my widening girth into size 28's, LOL.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not many after us were. While the collars were dumb looking, they were pretty comfortable.
Mine languished, since I wore Hosp whites primarily,and are still in my old duffle at my bro's house.

Prior to the 1505's the AF issued a uniform that resembled the WW2 British Desert Uniform, long socks, shorts, pith helmet and all.

I was issued 1505's while in Basic Training in '74.  Never wore them except for a couple of inspections.  I probably still have them in a duffle bag somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Pith helmets were still authorized for AF personnel in tropical areas up until the late 1980's. I went to a joint-service school and AF instructors were wearing them in 1989.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I hated the OD's and find BDU's more comfortable.

Just imagine if they brought OD's back, The AF allows women to be frickin Huge these days ! Fat Bottom AF chicks in Pickle suits

7808 ? Damn engine troop!  Everyone knows 5606 is the proper dunkin fluid for OD's
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just imagine if they brought OD's back, The AF allows women to be frickin Huge these days ! Fat Bottom AF chicks in Pickle suits

7808 ? Damn engine troop!  Everyone knows 5606 is the proper dunkin fluid for OD's

Are you a hydro troop?

Never worn ODs, just BDUs.  As for dunkin fluid for me, its a combination of JP-8, 7808, and 5606/83282.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes

BDU's hide oil stains pretty good which is handy for those jobs were avoiding getting wet/sprayed is not possible. OD's sucked, pretty hard to get out old grimy grease and carbon fiber Brake sludge stains, they just add to the BDU camoflage pattern.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:34:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

not an engine troop--electrician.  IDGs hold a lot of oil too.....and tend to leak long after they're drained

and you've got a good point about the economy size heinies nowadays.....may have to rethink my dsire to go back to the fatigues
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#16]

My wife's fatigue pants were different. they had a wierd button front, almost like Navy 13 button pants. They were also cut proportionately for female curves.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

not an engine troop--electrician.  IDGs hold a lot of oil too.....and tend to leak long after they're drained

IDG's will stay pressurized for a long time too.   I learned the hard way once when I was changing the filters on my jet while it was in phase and hadn't been run for over two weeks.   Damn did I get soaked.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#18]
 betcha followed the 24JG after that!  Sucks even worse when it's still hot from a run!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top