Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
My Uncle was in the Marine in WW2 and killed on Guadalcanl.............Is there a way to get moreinfo on him? What kinda info do I need as a bare minimum to do research?.......any help would be appriciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
You can start here. The free world owes your uncle a debt it can never repay.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks ........I have asked my Dad to supply what he can remember..he was 14 or so when his Bro was KIA.......I have a little girl that is 2 yrs old  and I want her to know what her family was all about.........I have another Uncle on my Mom's side that was in the 101st in Korea....all hero's in my book and I want my little girl to know that too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My Uncle was KIA during the invasion of Saipan. My Dad gave conflicting accounts of his death over the years so I got curious. I did a Google search of his name and to my surprise, I got a hit in a declassified Army report about the use of amphibious tractors during the invasion of Saipan. The invaision took place in June of 44. The report was dated in 1945. It was a very detailed report that was several pages long. My uncle was an amtrack driver with the Army's 715th amphibious tractor battalion. The event of my uncles death was detailed in a brief paragraph. He was one of only 8 KIA's in that battalion during the Saipan campaign. He was the only KIA from that battalion in the first wave. Shitty luck, I'd say.

You never know what you'll find on the web.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have another Uncle on my Mom's side that was in the 101st in Korea....all hero's in my book and I want my little girl to know that too.

If you mean the Korean war, the 101st did not deploy to Korea. The 101st was deactivated after WWII and briefly reactivated as a training division in 1948 and again in 1950. It was not activated as a combat division again until 1956.

ETA;

I'm not trying to poop on your family's service. It's just an FYI so you can get the correct info about your uncles service.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:06:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I could be mistaken anyway ..My Mom was the one that told me, and she could have gotten all mixed up about it.........I never have come right out and asked him and havnt seen him in years........I'll do a little more digging on that issue too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top