Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 1:15:32 PM EDT
watching the parris island shows and so confused....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#1]
"Yes" = "Yes"

"Aye" = I have understood and will carry out the order

I.e. Yes is the answer to a Yes/No question, Aye to an order.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Marines......
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
somebody's watching the military channel......................

i asked the same question to my Marine buddy.  he said yes to a yes/no question, aye to anything said that wasn't a yes/no question but that still needed to be acknowledged.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Marines......

Whoopsa - fixed it.  My ass just recovered from last time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes?! Aye?!

Whatever happened to "Sir, yes Sir"?!

During my stay at PISC, every question was answered with a "Sir, yes Sir" or "Sir, no Sir" --usually screamed at the top of your lungs.

Out in the FMF, the "Yes" and "Aye" rules applied.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Aye, Aye is used at the recite of an order (old English word).  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Aye is up there with "this recruit don't know" at PI also... basically a "get my ass out of this sticky situation" answer..... but what is said above is correct...

-Roth
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
And of course there's the ubiquitous "aye sir" repeated over and over when the recruit's getting thrashed in the sand pit, usually runs together into "icer icer icer!".

BTDT.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes?! Aye?!

During my stay at PISC, every question was answered with a "Sir, yes Sir" or "Sir, no Sir" --usually screamed at the top of your lungs.

"Sir, yes Sir" is called "sandwiching" nowadays and is usually punished the same as if a recruit says "I", "me", "us", "them", or any other basically suicidal statement .
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Aye or Aye, aye, is used to acknowledge an order.

Yes or no are answers to questions.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes?! Aye?!

"Sir, yes Sir" is called "sandwiching" nowadays and is usually punished the same as if a recruit says "I", "me", "us", "them", or any other basically suicidal statement .

I thought the "sir sandwich" was only frowned upon in the AF.  Shows what I know.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Then again, just to confuse people, being Irish I will frequently say 'Aye, sir' in lieu of 'yes, sir'

The Irish 'Aye' may have the same root as the navel 'aye-aye', but is different. Still confuses people though. (I'm Army)

NTM
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Interesting in 1998 when I was at PI, the "Sir sandwitch was common and expected.

EX:  "Recruit Quien did you understand me?" Correct  Answer:  "SIR, YES SIR!"

"Recruit Quien get on my quarterdeck right now!"  Answer: "SIR, AYE-AYE SIR!"

After you leave recruit training, the "Sandwitch"  disapears and you say Yes sir and Aye Sir.  Don't have to yell it either...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Must be a new Corps thing....in '71 it was Sir, yes Sir!  And always Aye Aye, Sir.  Never a single Aye.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#15]
In Knox 01, it was 'Drill Sergeant, Yes, Drill Sergeant'

That only lasted a week or two though, I usually got by just saying 'Yes, Drill Sergeant'. As long as you were suitably deferential, wasn't an issue. On rare occasions though, they'd drop me for it, but not often.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#16]
army and marines.. apples and oranges
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

are you really serious?? all along i thought they where all the same.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you really serious?? all along i thought they where all the same.....

Me too, I thought that everybody in the military was a Marine....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top