Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:04 AM EDT
As I said about two weeks ago I went through MEPS doing my ASVAB and physical signing my paperwork, and being sworn in for the Army Reserves and I will be shipping out next week Tuesday.

The problem is this, after careful reconsideration I feel the Marine Reserves would better suite me (re: more comrodery/pride that the other services don't offer from what I've been told.  More of a challenge too.).   I would like to know from any of you guys here if there is a way to switch services before I ship to boot or is it too late  I called the Marine Recruiter about two hours ago and he asked me why I wanted to switch and I told him what I mentioned earlier in this post along with the fact that if I'm asked what service I'm in I can proudly say I'm a Marine.  He said he would ask his Staff Sgt. and get back to me.

Also another thing that helped me change my mind was a three part series that can on either the Military channel or the History channel yesterday about 7 recruits and their time spent on Paris (Only on way in, one way out) Island.  After seeing their transformation from just kid's to proud responsible young men and women thats what did it for me.

So what do you current and ex-military guys think, has a switch such as this been done before?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
You signed a contract, bro. Go to basic training and do your country proud in the Army Reserves.

Besides, if you want to go to college while in the Reserves, the Army will be a MUCH better option for you. Trust me on this one, I've done both. A shiny blue uniform and a cocky attitude don't meen squat when it comes to paying for school.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you should not change your mind based on a TV show.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If you wanna become a man prove it...man up and fulfill your contract.  Lot's of editing goes on in a TV show and lot's of work went into your current enlistment now be a man and honor it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:46:05 AM EDT
[#4]
That 3rd and 4th line is total BS. You made an excellent choice to go army. The Marine Corps is NOT better than the Army though they may try to tell you that for recruitment purposes.

There is NOT more comrodery or pride in th mc compared to the Army, yet again read above. You ask any servicemember which service is the greatest and they will tell you that theirs is. You will find out more about this as your career progresses. There is comrodery and pride in all branches.

What MOS are you going in as?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Bah...  ya should have gone USN .

Seriously though, the gang is right.  The branches are different because they have different functions.  Each of us choose the branch we prefer and few change their minds, especially over a film.  Why?  Because pride in your branch is an "equal opportunity" situation.  It's up to you and your teammates rather than the functions your branch is responsible for.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no comrodery in any of the services.  However,  there are tons of camaraderie flowing in all of them.  Be a man and fulfill your signed contract.  Brotherhood is not something that instantly happens because you are with a certain group of folks.  It grows in time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
You're in the Army now,
You're not behind a plow.
You'll never get rich,
You son of a bitch,
You're in the Army now!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#8]
USN all the way

No, but seriously, "Aren't we all one big happy family now,
working together, supporting each other?!"  

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:14:37 AM EDT
[#9]
OMG.... a tv show hu... I can just see it now  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think you should not change your mind based on a TV show.

+1
don't be a fool
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
After further research I've decided to stick with USAR because I have more of a chance of being able to switch my MOS from Light Vehicle Mechanic to a Helicopter Mechanic MOS.  In doing this I should still be able to gain a decent amount of experience in the aviation field before I graduate my Aviation tech school in the civillian world.

I would like to thank those who encouraged me to dig just a wee bit deeper and look at the big picture rather than just jumping the gun.

Here are my reservation papers and asvab score.

Yeah yeah I only got an 83 but I scored 69 and 67 respectivly on the Automotive and Mechanical sections (which incidentally is what matters for my MOS.)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Off to relaxin' Jackson to become a light mechanic in the reserves?

Not bad on the incentives.

You leave on the 16th?

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:13:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Off to relaxin' Jackson (Why do they call it this?) to become a light mechanic in the reserves?
Yep!

Not bad on the incentives.
Yeah 7K plus a 10k kicker.

You leave on the 16th?
I head down to the Hotel on the 15th and ship early morning on the 15th by bus.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Aye aye sir, good to be aboard!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Yee haw! Ft. Jackson in the middle of August..... Bleh!

Drink, drink, drink.... I was chugging water like nobody's business, and I still ended up in the hospital
for a two-day stay due to dehydration! Still haven't figured that one out....

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top