Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/22/2005 4:20:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Besides the fraud, can't you be imprisoned for wearing a MOH if you didn't really received the medal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
We had a guy show up in Iraq as a replacement wearing a 2nd Batt. Rangers combat patch, Ranger tab, CIB and Jump wings. After one patrol the members of his platoon started to doubt he was real, since he had no clue how to patrol. After some investigation he was found to have not earned any of the badges on his uniform. Was busted from SPC to PFC, not sure what else they did to him. After he was exposed no one wanted anything to do with him and he sat out OIF2 as a CQ bitch.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I was sitting in the Nashville International Airport waiting for my fiance' to show when I saw this fresh-faced sailor (just a kid really) dragging along a bunch of his friends.  He was literally acting as if he were a rock star.  A closer look at his uniform showed that he was a SEAL.

I was just waiting at the Clarksville Limousine Service stand when he came up to get his rental next to me.  "A SEAL, huh?"  He looked like he was kinda tired of answering questions from his two friends and a trio of (actually pretty hot-looking) girls.  He answered yes he just got out of SEAL training and was on leave.  I got the idea that he was a fake from just the way he answered, so while he waited for his rental paperwork I glanced over his ribbons.  

"How long you been in?" I asked.  "About 8 months" he said.

Liar, he had two rows of ribbons, one was an "E" and this kid only had diagonal stripe on his shoulder.
He just sounded funny now, started to tapdance.  "When did you graduate Jump School? Ranger School?" "What was your class number? Date?"  No straight answers.

His friends started to look a little more at their aquaintance now, obviously uncomfortable.

It turns out that one of the reasons they were getting uncomfortable was that we were starting to draw a little crowd.

Two of the faces in the crowd were a little more interested, this kid obviously didn't know that Nashville is less than an hour's drive south from Fort Campell, Kentucky.

Further, he certainly wouldn't have guessed that two Special Forces NCOs just returning from language training would be sitting at the Clarksville Limo Service counter waiting to go back to Fort Campbell.

These two didn't raise their voices, but I have never seen a more hopeless look on a cornered person in all my life.  He went into the restroom with the two NCOs and a police officer assigned to airport security.  He came back out in regular clothes, the cop had "his" awards.

What's more, his entourage of friends had left him.

Not the best decision he's made.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool beans.....
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Besides the fraud, can't you be imprisoned for wearing a MOH if you didn't really received the medal.

Any wear of the uniform or awards and decorations is illegal, not just the CMOH.  Download a copy of AR 670-1, it should say what can be worn by who in the first few pages.  The only people outside the military authorized to wear a military uniform are retirees, there is even a class A patch and BDU patch just for retirees.  This isnt saying you cannot wear BDU's, its saying you cannot wear them in a military appearance for fraudulent purposes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you graduate BUDS, you have to serve on a Team for 6 months(may be longer now) before you are eligible to wear the SEAL badge. I had a kid who worked for me overseas who graduated BUDS then didnt pan out in the Teams and he was not authorized to wear the SEAL insignia, only the Navy jump wings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you graduate BUDS, you have to serve on a Team for 6 months(may be longer now) before you are eligible to wear the SEAL badge. I had a kid who worked for me overseas who graduated BUDS then didnt pan out in the Teams and he was not authorized to wear the SEAL insignia, only the Navy jump wings.

I went to college with a guy who went claimed he graduated BUD/S (don't remember his name/don't really matter).  He said he never served with the Teams because he couldn't/didn't get a billet.

He always wore his field jacket with all his patches on it.  Any SEAL patches??? nope.  But he was sure proud of the big ole SEA BEEs patch

And he never claimed he was a SEAL, so I dunno.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Now new guys check into their Teams with their Tridents.   Lots of changes have been made over the last few years, and that is one of them.  The training pipeline no longer includes a probationary period at the commands.  However, there is still much to learn once they arrive, and new guys still do get canned if they are not able to perform at the levels expected.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was sitting in the Nashville International Airport waiting for my fiance' to show when I saw this fresh-faced sailor (just a kid really) dragging along a bunch of his friends.  He was literally acting as if he were a rock star.  A closer look at his uniform showed that he was a SEAL.

I was just waiting at the Clarksville Limousine Service stand when he came up to get his rental next to me.  "A SEAL, huh?"  He looked like he was kinda tired of answering questions from his two friends and a trio of (actually pretty hot-looking) girls.  He answered yes he just got out of SEAL training and was on leave.  I got the idea that he was a fake from just the way he answered, so while he waited for his rental paperwork I glanced over his ribbons.  

Liar, he had two rows of ribbons, one was an "E" and this kid only had diagonal stripe on his shoulder.
He just sounded funny now, started to tapdance.  "When did you graduate Jump School? Ranger School?" "What was your class number? Date?"  No straight answers.

His friends started to look a little more at their aquaintance now, obviously uncomfortable.

It turns out that one of the reasons they were getting uncomfortable was that we were starting to draw a little crowd.

Two of the faces in the crowd were a little more interested, this kid obviously didn't know that Nashville is less than an hour's drive south from Fort Campell, Kentucky.

Further, he certainly wouldn't have guessed that two Special Forces NCOs just returning from language training would be sitting at the Clarksville Limo Service counter waiting to go back to Fort Campbell.

These two didn't raise their voices, but I have never seen a more hopeless look on a cornered person in all my life.  He went into the restroom with the two NCOs and a police officer assigned to airport security.  He came back out in regular clothes, the cop had "his" awards.

I just love a happy ending....(tear forming in my eye....)
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:42:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I knew a guy in my old unit who went home on leave, went to a race wearing his uniform after growing a beard. He had added a few patches though. Scuba, SF, SEAR.... a few others. All of this with his MP patch, and his SPC rank. He happend to run into a First Sergant at the race who asked a few questions, got his unit out of him, and called. We dubbed him scuba steve. A year later he got busted, and sent to camp Lejuene for bad checks.... go figure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Its easy to spot an Airborne poser.
Coin check him (though this is not as effective as it used to be due to the spread of the 'challenge' coin). Ask him the nomenclature of a weapons case, ask him the nomenclature of the chutes he jumped. No poser I have ever met has been able to answer these questions, and regretably Ive met quite a few.
formerly 2ndOPDET/B Co/8th POB/4th POG
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Still carry my 101st Abn coin, but coins are easy to order online now
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Had a guy in my first unit show up, assigned to S-4, abt half-way through my tour. E-5 w/ a shitload
of tabs for this, that and the other. My vault was next to their office, so I got to talk to him quite a bit.
Never any indication that anything was amiss, and he was highspeed, and the staff loved him.

His 'highspeed/low-drag' attitude turned out to be his undoing. The SGM decided to put him in for some
award (can't remember what now) and in checking his record, couldn't find a date for something, so
he called the school. They'd never heard of the guy. A few more calls, and these other schools had
never heard of him either.

Come to find out, the guy was supposed to be a SPC, but being in S-4, he'd forged up all the paperwork
in his records, and promoted himself in the process.

He evidently got wind somehow that they were on to him, as he had emptied his apartment (on the
German economy) and was gone when they went to cuff & stuff him. Never seen again by us.....
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 10:24:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I had this E-4 that was on leave US Army tell me he was the snipper that put one in the Columbian drug lord.  I can't remember his name, but anyway I told him I thought he was full of crap, and that if it were true no way would an E-4 be given that job unless he was the best shot in the country.  Anyway, I just told his girly friend that she can believe his garbage but I didn't have time for the BS.
 Before I joned the Army I used to work tables at gunshows with a friend of mine, and after "First Blood" came out you would not believe how many green berets there were at the gun show it was pathetic.
 Anyone ever hear of a paper tab I had the displeasure of meeting one that only found out after he got us lost 6klicks off target.  He said he was in Vietnam, first pig mades some phone calls and the jig was up, but he was still allowed to ware the SF tab.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Coin check him (though this is not as effective as it used to be due to the spread of the 'challenge' coin). Ask him the nomenclature of a weapons case, ask him the nomenclature of the chutes he jumped. No poser I have ever met has been able to answer these questions, and regretably Ive met quite a few.

What's your fourth point of performance?
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#17]
What sort of moron thinks someone would actually believe him if he claimed to win the damn Medal of Honor?  People like that require a stiff beating, for their own good.
Link Posted: 6/4/2005 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not Military or LEO but in my division of the company a TS clearance is necessary.  You wouldn't believe how many people we interview that tell us they have a "clearance that is higher than TS and they can't talk about it" or put on their resume various 3 letter agencies and then put, "Due to the nature of this project Mr. Suchandsuch is not allowed to discuss the details of his employment on this project."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttttttttt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I went to college with an older guy that was quiet, unassuming but very sharp and driven.  One day we were hanging out at the gun range and theres this kid sitting there talking to all his friends about "When I was with the SEALS, blah,blah,blah."

My friend marches right over and starts firing off questions real rapid.

"What's your BUDS school number"  Huh? What?

"Where are the base you stationed out of?" Uh... That's classified

"What team did you serve on?"  Ummm, errr...

"Yeah, I know that team.. Who did you serve with?"  ummmm... ahh...

"You're full of shit.  I'm former SEAL and it makes me sick to hear someone like make claims like this.  SHUT THE FUCK UP."

Turns out my friend was the REAL DEAL.   I never knew until the day he made that guy look like a total ass to his friends.    It just hit one of his piss off buttons listening to this kid go on and on about "When I was in Lebonon, we popped these two rag heads..."

Link Posted: 6/5/2005 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What sort of moron thinks someone would actually believe him if he claimed to win the damn Medal of Honor?  People like that require a stiff beating, for their own good.

You would be amazed. Some go as far as getting MOH license plates. Some make it their whole lives without being found out until their family applies for the benefits after they die. Many are only found out when they take the lies too far and try to apply to organizations such as the Legion of Valor(actually, many posers of all types are found out this way).
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe I need to stop telling people that I'm the the real James Bond.

Now I feel stupid for believing you.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:08:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Great story.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yes, probably a good idea....  After all, He does get the chicks  

Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#27]
We've all met the common gun-show commandos, but I'm shocked that people who are actually in the service lie about their records as well.  I never would have thought that this would happen.  This has gotta take a rare combination of balls and stupidity.  Seems like you would certainly be found out at some point.  That's just sad.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:30:43 AM EDT
[#28]

I've got a kid in my unit who is really more pathetic than anger-inducing.  He obviously has some screws loose.  

He told me just two weeks ago that he got an opportunity to shoot a USMC Barrett .50 a little while back, and hit a silhouette target at over 1000 yards with iron sights.  I found this very interesting to say the least, and asked how far he had to hold over the target to get a center mass hit.  He said he just aimed for the head.  All the Marines with him were very impressed, he told me.

Sad, really.

Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I've got a kid in my unit who is really more pathetic than anger-inducing.  He obviously has some screws loose.  

He told me just two weeks ago that he got an opportunity to shoot a USMC Barrett .50 a little while back, and hit a silhouette target at over 1000 yards with iron sights.  I found this very interesting to say the least, and asked how far he had to hold over the target to get a center mass hit.  He said he just aimed for the head.  All the Marines with him were very impressed, he told me.

Sad, really.

That only impresses Marines when you do it from the offhand.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#30]
I've never understood people who feel the need to spin elaborate lies about their lives & accomplishments????

How uncomfortable in your own skin do you have to be to go to these extremes?

Truly pathetic...
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Thats funny, because the fake one gets laid.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#33]
We had a 1SG in Hawaii who talked all big shit about this and that.
Fake tabs, fake senior wing,s the whole bit.  I always thought he was full of shit, but couldn't prove it.
he lied about being in the wrong company at the wrong time and someone who was in that unit showed up.
He was relieved and "attempted" suicide.
Should have court martialed the fucker.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Well I am a muff diver in SEAL Team 69.  I even got a couple of wings out if it.  The hard part of the course was getting a bush that was a little tuffer than most to navigate.

I hate posers with a special type of glee.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

4. “My dog ate it.” Phonies often say their military documents were destroyed in a fire or some similar disaster.

This can happen though.

IIRC ('cause he's only mentioned it once), my grandfather should have a purple heart from Korea, but a small fire wiped out some paperwork from his unit.  It wasn't anything serious (grenade fragments), and odds are he could go through the process and prove it happaned, but I think he'd rather not. He doesn't like to talk about the whole thing.

Funny things do happen to paperwork, and there WAS a fairly large fire at the records office years back. Wiped out most of the Army records from WW2 and Korea and some USAF ones. They can sometimes get most of the info from other sources, but not always.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You do not win the MOH. You earn it or are awarded it.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

4. “My dog ate it.” Phonies often say their military documents were destroyed in a fire or some similar disaster.

This can happen though.

IIRC ('cause he's only mentioned it once), my grandfather should have a purple heart from Korea, but a small fire wiped out some paperwork from his unit.  It wasn't anything serious (grenade fragments), and odds are he could go through the process and prove it happaned, but I think he'd rather not. He doesn't like to talk about the whole thing.

Funny things do happen to paperwork, and there WAS a fairly large fire at the records office years back. Wiped out most of the Army records from WW2 and Korea and some USAF ones. They can sometimes get most of the info from other sources, but not always.

Actually, IIRC, the fire in St Louis mostly destroyed records from WWI. The book "Stolen Valor" elaborated more on this, but said pretty clearly that few, if any, living posers could successfully use this defense.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#39]
I was visiting my good friend (retired LTC, also SF) in WV a couple of years ago when we both read an obituary of a "Medal of Honor awardee".

A check of the Internet showed the late departed was not a MOH awardee.  Internment was in a local cemetary (not a National Cemetary or Arlington).

Turned out this fellow had been telling people he had the MOH for over 20 years.

Often wondered what his family thought when his lie was uncovered?  The level of disappointment and shame that Dad / Grandfather lived a lie for 20+ years?
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
]Actually, IIRC, the fire in St Louis mostly destroyed records from WWI. The book "Stolen Valor" elaborated more on this, but said pretty clearly that few, if any, living posers could successfully use this defense.

NARA's website says they lost 80% of the Army records for  "Personnel discharged November 1, 1912, to January 1, 1960" and 75% of USAF records for "personnel discharged, September 25, 1947, to January 1, 1964 (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)"

So we're both right.

All I'm sayin' is that if a otherwise reliable guy says something of his got lost or destroyed in a fire or other accident, he might not be BS'ing you. If he goes "I was Seal Team 6 and CIA in Vietnam for 8 tours but my records and MOH were lost in a fire", well, that looks wrong for a whole variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a cop, and have had quite a few posers lie to me, seeking to get a break.  They include fake SEALS and fake Vietnam grunts.  It's easy for me to weed them out.  I started out active USMC, then USMCR, then Army Guard, and now I'm in the USNR.  I figure the Air Guard or AF reserve will be my retirement gig when this enlistment is up.  One thing that sucks is that rank is slow when you bounce around.

When I catch a liar, they go to jail for anything they did that is an arrestable offense, and I tell them they would have been let go with a warning if they hadn't lied.    
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#43]
"Well I am a muff diver in SEAL Team 69. I even got a couple of wings out if it. The hard part of the course was getting a bush that was a little tuffer than most to navigate."

That is the best dude.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

When I catch a liar, they go to jail for anything they did that is an arrestable offense, and I tell them they would have been let go with a warning if they hadn't lied.    

+1 on that.  If I catch any sort of BS from someone, then any sort of break that they would have caught goes out the window.  While I only served in one branch (USMC and USMCR), I spent time on a ship with the Navy and my wife served in the Army, so I have a fair amount of familiarity with everything except the Air Force.

The quickest way to catch a Marine phony?  Ask his platoon number.  Since the late 1960's it's a 4-digit number, with the first digit matching his training battalion.  If you have a guy claiming to go through the 4th battalion, he's either a transgender or a faker, since the 4th RTBn trains women at Parris Island.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:19:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your fourth point of performance?

I'm the the 82nd, and I can't even tell you that

I know theres five of them... the fourth would be something around lowering your equipment or something
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 2:40:44 AM EDT
[#46]
TAGGED
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 3:58:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Finally a thread I can open up in, and this is "No shitter"....

When I was a doorgunner on the Space Shuttle.....

Had a guy in my unit(an E-5) lie about being a SEAL. The story was so fraught with inconsistencies and bullshit I'm stunned no one had done it earlier; I reported him to cyberSEALS.org and a couple guys in my unit pulled his punk card when we got letters back from them saying he wasn't.

Un-fucking-believable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Unfuckingbelievable.

I was stationed in Schweinfurt (3 ID) when DS1 happened, and our unit didn't deploy.  After they allowed PCS to continue for stateside rotation, I went to Ft Riley, KS.  Seemed like EVERYBODY but me had their CIB (I didn't even have my EIB).  God, that sucked, but I never even ONCE thought about pinning on a CIB.  

I got the unique opportunity to train with a Ranger unit (no, don't remember which) for a month.  Man, that was the best FTX, but I was young and extremely imtimidated.  Didn't help that we were OP4 and they managed to get into our perimeter EVERY FUCKING NIGHT.  LOL.  Those guys are some bad SOBs.  

I was a damn good soldier, and still have my original Blue Rope; very proud of what I did.  How can anyone feign pride in something they never did?  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Interestingly, just yesterday all the commanders in my brigade were sent an email telling them to look at the uniforms of the "jobniks"- non combat troops- logistics, cooks, staff...  To make sure that they were not wearing the pins that certify you as a combat soldier in any of our batallions or SF companies.  Aparently it is a problem in Israel as well.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:08:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top