Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2004 9:52:25 AM EDT
Hi all, I just finished OSUT at Benning, and I'm going to be in the 3rd Brig. 2d ID first strykers.
I'm from Seattle anyway, so I feel like a reservist being so close to home
Anyway, Nobody could really tell me anything about the Stryker brigade, or what I'll be doing in it!
I'm 11B, E-2, so I assume all the really cool shit gets to be done by the E-5's and above.
Do I pop outta the back of the stryker and shoot, or do I wash it when it gets back?
I'm still looking around the net, but any insight or info would be cool!
Oh yeah, I met GTCrispy down there too! That was neat.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#1]
web blog of a stryker grunt in irag...

www.cbftw.blogspot.com/
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Strykers eh...  take care of your feet - you'll be using them more than you think.  Basic job remains the same - hump, find, fix, kill mofos while protecting yourself and everyone else.  Good luck.  

Second to none!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations on the assignment. The 3rd Brigade 2nd ID is rotating back from Mosul now. 1st Brigade 25th ID has just deployed and should assume "ownership" of the vehicles, so you won't have to wash those...

Ft Lewis is ok, I was stationed there quite a few years ago. Quite the commnute to Seattle though.

This link has some info on the combat team structure but it may be a bit outdated: GlobalSecurity.org
And here's a home page link to your new Brigade: 3rd BCT
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's really tough to join a unit as an FNG after a peacetime deployment.  It must be considerably tougher after a combat deployment.

Latch on to the motivated guys who seem to know their shit, stay away from the complainers.  You'll do fine.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#5]
If it gets here before I leave I will get to lay hands on, take apart, put back together and put the Engineer version through its paces.

I will of course post a full report, and in true ARFCOM fashion go in the rear hatch and post pics!
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's really tough to join a unit as an FNG after a peacetime deployment.  It must be considerably tougher after a combat deployment.

Latch on to the motivated guys who seem to know their shit, stay away from the complainers.  You'll do fine.

I am in Mosul right now, with 1st SBCT.  I'm a squad leader for one of them.  To let you in on what everyone says about them being a piece of shit, well... the dudes that come back from here will tell you the same thing I will.... they're the only thing that doesn't die over here.  Car bombs, roadside IEDs, small arms, RPG attacks... they shrug all that shit right off.  If you want to get anywhere safely over here, it's gonna be in a Stryker.  

As an E2, you'll probably be assigned to one of the dismount squads, the dudes in the back.  The best advice I can give you is what's already been said: stay away from the unmotivated fucks that whine alot... you hang around with shit, you'll start to smell like it.  Keep your ears open, understand that you are the FNG and do your best.  That's all anyone can ask of you.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in Mosul right now, with 1st SBCT.  I'm a squad leader for one of them.  To let you in on what everyone says about them being a piece of shit, well... the dudes that come back from here will tell you the same thing I will.... they're the only thing that doesn't die over here.  Car bombs, roadside IEDs, small arms, RPG attacks... they shrug all that shit right off.  If you want to get anywhere safely over here, it's gonna be in a Stryker.  

As an E2, you'll probably be assigned to one of the dismount squads, the dudes in the back.  The best advice I can give you is what's already been said: stay away from the unmotivated fucks that whine alot... you hang around with shit, you'll start to smell like it.  Keep your ears open, understand that you are the FNG and do your best.  That's all anyone can ask of you.

Good luck.

Thanks for posting.

You keep doing God's work over there and stay motivated.

If we ever meet, I'm buying the beer (assuming you're 21 ).
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, thanks for all the great info guys!
I'm gonna go down and get my vehicle registered today, and check out the base if I can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top