Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2004 11:50:16 PM EDT
First of all I'd be eligible for BAH, so thats a big plus.  Also I know my future wife will have full medical coverage.  What else am I missing?  Any other weird allowances or whatnot?  I already get BAS while single, but does it increase?  Just curious for financial planning purposes.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the BAS would stay the same.  BAH would start, along with COLA (if elligible).

The big thing, especially after having kids, is their medical coverage.  However, you are the military member, not your wife.  They won't pay her for being married to you (although some wives probably deserve it!).
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Commisary - It really saves you alot when you do the shopping to feed the family.

Support group - This is where a Commander's wife is key.  Pray that the support group is high speed and really take care of each other.  Some are better than others but in a time of a deployment they are vital in the welfare of the wives.  If it is just a bitch fest then it does not help.

The rest, you know or has been mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]

What service?  I know the USAF has Spousal Tuition Assistance for OCONUS assignments.

There is also military spouse hiring preference for some federal jobs, it will be listed in the job vacancy announcement.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What branch are you? I know the Navy has family seperation allowance. Something like $225 a month after you've been seperated OCONUS for 30 days. Mainly for deployments.

Brohawk, your right. BAS is for you, not your family.

There are many services on base that can make life easier for you. On Navy bases there is the AUTOPORT garage that you are pretty safe sending the wife to without getting screwed. Child care is alot cheaper thru the Navy. Sometimes on base.

The Navy and Marine Corp Relief  Society, I think that's the name. If your deployed and your furnace dies, they'll usually cut a check for a new one if you need the money, things like that.  Sometimes it's a 0% interest loan and sometimes it's a grant.

I'll ask the wife in awhile for some more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Navy and Marine Corp Relief  Society, I think that's the name. If your deployed and your furnace dies, they'll usually cut a check for a new one if you need the money, things like that.  Sometimes it's a 0% interest loan and sometimes it's a grant.

I'll ask the wife in awhile for some more.

Good point.  The USAF has the Air Force Aid Society, whic h does similar work.  Also, the Family Support Center on USAF bases do a lot of work toward helping families, especially those of young Airmen who are on tighter budgets.  I'm sure the Army would also0 have something like that.

Speaking from my personal experience, the USAF is about as family friendly as a service can get.  That's not to criticize the other branches.  I'm just keeping my comments within my own experience.  In any situation, you learn to bloom where you are planted, and your spouse is a key member of your team.  Sometimes being the wife of a service member is the toughest job in the military.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the Army.  Currently on deployment but getting married upon return.  This was kind of a relationship test I suppose, and we're doing great.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have much to offer,since everyone else told you, but the commissary isn't always cheaper at least stateside. We found some of the local grocery stores were better priced. We were both in the Army when we married so I knew all the ups and downs,better than alot of wives. I do agree the Airforce is way more family oriented than most services.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top