Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:42 PM EDT
I'm considering Ordnance as my MOS for the Corps because I want to get to EOD eventually, and of course, I love all types of guns.  So, if anyone has any experience or advice to give me in regards to this, I'd appreciate it a lot!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ordnance is  what I do now and ended up doing in the Navy as well as Physical Security and VBSS since there is now so little Blue water ASW work. Where I went to A school was the same place the West Coast Navy EOD trains.  Which Ordnace type are you looking at?  The ones assigned to Aviation have a pretty hard life if say it is a AV-8B  DET  on an LHD or F-18 squadron  on a CV/CVN with 18-20 hour days.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure what kind of ordnance.  I was hoping to work mostly with all the small arms and work up to being EOD.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for being smart enough to not go in open.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a retired Ordnanceman.  Not to many Civ jobs for when ya get out unless you go EOD.  Just remember you have to have brains as well as being fit for EOD school.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a Aviation Ordnanceman..................just remember Redshirts Rule. Go Aircrew if you can.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Do I know you dpmmm?  Tours in VA-65 (A-6), VA-76, VA-42, CVW7 Staff, Strike Armament instructor at Mayport,  VS-31 (S3s suck) and to many boats to remember.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody know what EOD school is like?  Sounds challenging, but I don't know any details about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#9]
We have a few Army techs here on this site - I don't know about Marine techs though.

Marine EOD selects from all over the Marine Corps.  There are former engineers, infantrymen, etc. at the the school.  In fact, I don't think I ever met a Marine EOD tech who had been an ammo guy prior.  Most, in fact, were infantry.  The Marine Corps is very infantry focused (duh) perhaps that actually helped their chance of getting selected for EOD?

Marine corps MOS 2111 - small arms - has little to do with ammo.  If it is anything like its sister Army MOS  45B (and they go to the same school) - avoid it.  It is a last ditch job for people without the skills for a more technical mechanical field.  If mainly morons go to the school - those same morons get promoted and become your boss.

I know of only one Marine currently attending EOD school who actively participates in internet discussion - but he is not on this board.  I could possibly steer him this way to answer your questions if nobody else pipes in.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently work in a Harrier squadron.  Although I am a powerplants guy I can probably answer some questions on ordies.  I have been doing this job for over 19 years so that is my experience claim to fame.  If you are looking to become an EOD'er then you don't have to be an ordie.  Let me know if I can be of any help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Mostly Infantry guys?  Hmmm, maybe I'll just go to infanry like I was thinking about before.  

And if you can get that guy in EOD school to IM me or participate in this thread or something I'd really appreciate it.  I wanna know what it takes and what it's like to get there.

Quoted:
We have a few Army techs here on this site - I don't know about Marine techs though.

Marine EOD selects from all over the Marine Corps.  There are former engineers, infantrymen, etc. at the the school.  In fact, I don't think I ever met a Marine EOD tech who had been an ammo guy prior.  Most, in fact, were infantry.  The Marine Corps is very infantry focused (duh) perhaps that actually helped their chance of getting selected for EOD?

Marine corps MOS 2111 - small arms - has little to do with ammo.  If it is anything like its sister Army MOS  45B (and they go to the same school) - avoid it.  It is a last ditch job for people without the skills for a more technical mechanical field.  If mainly morons go to the school - those same morons get promoted and become your boss.

I know of only one Marine currently attending EOD school who actively participates in internet discussion - but he is not on this board.  I could possibly steer him this way to answer your questions if nobody else pipes in.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are serious about the EOD field, you're best bet is to contact the nearest Army EOD unit.  They will have all the latest information on prerequisites and qualifications.  Before you even apply, you have to be interviewed by an EOD officer and run through some simple exercises in full protective chemical gear.  It used to be an M3 TAP suit.  I'm not sure what they have now.  The main purpose of the exercise is to make sure you are not claustrophobic.  

I hesitate to give too much specific information since I've been retired for 20 years and things have changed.  I spent 19 out of 21 of my years in the Army in EOD and loved every minute of it.  Well, almost every minute.

The EOD School is a joint service school run by the Navy and is located at Eglin AFB, Florida.  Here is a link to the School's web site.

www.cnet.navy.mil/eods/command/
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are serious about the EOD field, you're best bet is to contact the nearest Army EOD unit.  They will have all the latest information on prerequisites and qualifications.  Before you even apply, you have to be interviewed by an EOD officer and run through some simple exercises in full protective chemical gear.  It used to be an M3 TAP suit.  I'm not sure what they have now.  The main purpose of the exercise is to make sure you are not claustrophobic.  

I hesitate to give too much specific information since I've been retired for 20 years and things have changed.  I spent 19 out of 21 of my years in the Army in EOD and loved every minute of it.  Well, almost every minute.

The EOD School is a joint service school run by the Navy and is located at Eglin AFB, Florida.  Here is a link to the School's web site.

www.cnet.navy.mil/eods/command/

While he could feasably enlist straight into Army EOD, he wants to go Marine - and Marines only allow senior Corporals (corporals promotable, IIRC) and Sergeants into the school.  He should have plenty of time to get that pre-req stuff straightened out by then - if he is lucky enough to get the job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the site!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While he could feasably enlist straight into Army EOD, he wants to go Marine - and Marines only allow senior Corporals (corporals promotable, IIRC) and Sergeants into the school.  He should have plenty of time to get that pre-req stuff straightened out by then - if he is lucky enough to get the job.

Sorry, didn't see the Corps part.  It's still the same school and the Army, Marine Corps, and Air Force personnel go through the school in mixed classes.  My basic class started out mostly Air Force with me the only Army and 1 Marine.  Navy personnel go through in in their own groups.  Their training is a lot longer than the other services because of their diving requirements and underwater ordnance (mines and torpedos) training.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The only advice I can give you because I was a Soldier, not a Marine, and because I wasn't EOD or ordinance, is to make dam sure you want to be a Marine before you join the Corps. Not that they are going to be out to get you, but if you have to make E-4(P), and compete with who knows how many other Marines for the slot you want, what happens if you don't get it? Will you already have a job you like? I think the USMC has a specific MOS for small arms repair, so if you really like firearms that may be the way to go. Just something to think about, not something to keep you from enlisting.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]
az-ar: PM sent
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Join the Navy.  You will work with more ordnance than you could ever imagine and small arms too.  Just tthe recruiter that:

IYAOYAS!

Red Shirts Rule!
OH, Go for the Aircrew thing too while your at it.  Get you some cool ass duty and a nice set of GOLD wings on your uniform(womenz love em').
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top