Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:09:28 PM EDT
How do you fit this damn thing! I can't seem to get it to set right?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
leave it behind and tie a cravat... worked for lots of other guys
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
if issue, you need to tie it itn the back, shave or remove the fluff with tape, then get wet an fit to your head.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's an AF beret I can help you; if it's an Army beret I'm not sure I can.  There are differences in the mil specs betweeen the two with the AF using a thicker nap of wool required "shaving," a different front stiffner, and an inside liner.  The Army selected an easier to maintain version that does not have as thick a wool and no liner.  Us AF folks used to immediately cut out the liner at the headband and cut down the size of the front stiffner so you can form the beret easier.  One of the fastest ways to form the beret is to completely soak it in water.  Let is drip dry for a few minutes, then put on your head and form the beret by working the front stiffner potion over your eye and getting it straight, then basically holding that position while you form the fold over your ear.  Continue to wear the beret as it dries reforming it along the way.  The AF beret's thicker wool took to this process very well.  Not sure if the Army beret does the same.  I know writing something out like this isn't too great a way to explain the process, but I hope it helps.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty hard to explain in words.

I am assuming you have already shaved it - of not, do that first and while it is dry.

The material should all run flat against your head, pulled over to the right.  Pull the stiffenr with the flash forward, and nurse the rest over to the right ear.  The beret will have to be wet to do this - use hotter water if it is too big.  Wear it until it holds its shape.  Once dry, if shaped right, it can be abused pretty fiercely and still return to shape.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok here you go.  If it has a liner in it cut that thing out.  Turn it inside out and take a single blade disposable shaving razor to shave it.  Switch them when it gets dull.  Start with the inside so you can see how it will look when done and if it doesn't work out right the first time no one will see it.  It helps to find something round to stretch it over tightly like a coffee can or something similar.  Get it tight around this and start to shave it using short strokes.  Work the razor in the same direction all the way across the beret.  Be careful around the headband because it will nick and cut easily if it is leather.  Also be careful if the seam where it is sewn together.  You might actually cut the stitching.  

After you are done with the inside and you have a good idea of how to work the razor, turn it right side out and start with the stiffener area.  If you do not have a flash on it it is much easier.  If you do, get as close to it as you can.  After you have shaved the stiffener area, use the coffee can again and repeat what you did on the inside.  Be careful as this part will show, and nothing makes you look like a rookie more than a bunch of 'beret scars' from the razor.  

When you are done and you have the flash sewn on look at the stiffener.  Cut the part where the beret drapes over the head right next to the flash, on the the other side leave it intact.  Then like everyone else said wet it completely and put it on and form it to your head.  Hot water works best for some reason, then just let the thing dry on your head.  Take your time and again if it is a leather band, it will be stiff so tie it loosely with some excess at first until it breaks in.  Then later tie a nonslip knot and cut off the excess and burn the ends.

It will take some time and probably a couple shavings and wettings to get it just how you want it.  Hope this helps,

Stevehug.gif
ALL OK JUMPMASTER!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If it's an AF beret I can help you; if it's an Army beret I'm not sure I can.  There are differences in the mil specs betweeen the two with the AF using a thicker nap of wool required "shaving," a different front stiffner, and an inside liner.  The Army selected an easier to maintain version that does not have as thick a wool and no liner.  Us AF folks used to immediately cut out the liner at the headband and cut down the size of the front stiffner so you can form the beret easier.  One of the fastest ways to form the beret is to completely soak it in water.  Let is drip dry for a few minutes, then put on your head and form the beret by working the front stiffner potion over your eye and getting it straight, then basically holding that position while you form the fold over your ear.  Continue to wear the beret as it dries reforming it along the way.  The AF beret's thicker wool took to this process very well.  Not sure if the Army beret does the same.  I know writing something out like this isn't too great a way to explain the process, but I hope it helps.  

You guys shape your berets?  Every time I feel bad about how crappy most soldiers look in theirs, I seek out an Air Power security forces guy and suddenly feel much better.

Come to think of it, our TACPs always looked sharp in theirs, though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok here you go.  If it has a liner in it cut that thing out.  Turn it inside out and take a single blade disposable shaving razor to shave it.  Switch them when it gets dull.  Start with the inside so you can see how it will look when done and if it doesn't work out right the first time no one will see it.  It helps to find something round to stretch it over tightly like a coffee can or something similar.  Get it tight around this and start to shave it using short strokes.  Work the razor in the same direction all the way across the beret.  Be careful around the headband because it will nick and cut easily if it is leather.  Also be careful if the seam where it is sewn together.  You might actually cut the stitching.  

After you are done with the inside and you have a good idea of how to work the razor, turn it right side out and start with the stiffener area.  If you do not have a flash on it it is much easier.  If you do, get as close to it as you can.  After you have shaved the stiffener area, use the coffee can again and repeat what you did on the inside.  Be careful as this part will show, and nothing makes you look like a rookie more than a bunch of 'beret scars' from the razor.  

When you are done and you have the flash sewn on look at the stiffener.  Cut the part where the beret drapes over the head right next to the flash, on the the other side leave it intact.  Then like everyone else said wet it completely and put it on and form it to your head.  Hot water works best for some reason, then just let the thing dry on your head.  Take your time and again if it is a leather band, it will be stiff so tie it loosely with some excess at first until it breaks in.  Then later tie a nonslip knot and cut off the excess and burn the ends.

It will take some time and probably a couple shavings and wettings to get it just how you want it.  Hope this helps,

Steve
ALL OK JUMPMASTER!!

Welcome to Arfcom, dumb bastard!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#8]

You guys shape your berets? Every time I feel bad about how crappy most soldiers look in theirs, I seek out an Air Power security forces guy and suddenly feel much better.

Come to think of it, our TACPs always looked sharp in theirs, though.

I'm not bitting on that one.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks ARFCOMMERS!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Your all crazy if you dont think the Army beret is a pain in the arse as well.  Mines shaped, shaved, and I even cut the stiff part up front.  The only difference was no inside liner.  Berets suck though.  I'm enjoying the desert boonie instead.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't feel like wearing your beret all night, or you have places to go, you can also stick it in the freezer after you've shaped it.  Just be careful when you take it off.  You want to keep it the shape it is on your head.  It'll be really cold when you take it out, so I wouldn't recommend putting it on and running right outside with it.  Let it warm up a little first.  This is how I did mine, and they always kept their shape as well as, or better than the folks who walked around the barracks all night wearing a new beret.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Berets suck though.  

Not to mention, they look gay...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I still wish for the days when every soldier in the army was not wearing a beret.  Used to mean something...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree with what 131AJumpmaster prescribes with the exception of the razor blade. use beard trimmers. They get close enough and you don't have to worry about cutting the material. before you wet it down take a lint roller to it. If you don't have a lint roller, duct tape wrapped around your hand with the sticky side out works just as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Yea most of the people that hate the Beret had it ISSUED to them they did not have to bust their ass in order to EARN it.

I Earned my Black Beret when I finished RIP in 1988, ask someone that just Finished the Q course if his Green Beret looks gay.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#18]
now that AF personnel are wearing my octagonal cover and the entire army is wearing frenchie foo-foo hats i fear our military is having a headgear crisis. we need congressional hearings! an independant counsel and a referendum!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Steve
ALL OK JUMPMASTER!!

Welcome aboard!

Not many 131A's around..................
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Berets suck though.  

Not to mention, they look gay...

I'm sorry that you can't understand earning a beret....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I still wish for the days when every soldier in the army was not wearing a beret.  Used to mean something...

I miss those days too...I didnt have to wear the damn thing, I had my soft cap that actually did something for me outdoors, like block my eyes from the sun and it didnt absorb heat like the black wool does.  The beret might be good in Alaska, Ft Carson, or Ft Lewis; but Ive been at Schofield Baracks and Ft Hood throughout the last 5 years, neither are sun-friendly places, especially for a red headed white guy like me.  Hopefully someday the beret will only be a part of the Class A uniform and the soft cap will return to its rightful place as the standard duty headgear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I miss those days too...I didnt have to wear the damn thing, I had my soft cap that actually did something for me outdoors, like block my eyes from the sun and it didnt absorb heat like the black wool does.  The beret might be good in Alaska, Ft Carson, or Ft Lewis; but Ive been at Schofield Baracks and Ft Hood throughout the last 5 years, neither are sun-friendly places, especially for a red headed white guy like me.  Hopefully someday the beret will only be a part of the Class A uniform and the soft cap will return to its rightful place as the standard duty headgear.

+1
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#24]
For me it wa always simple

Going to the field= field uniform + Patrol cap

In Garrison = Starchs and Spits + Beret

I guess the legs are all confused on what the wear and when.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For me it wa always simple

Going to the field= field uniform + Patrol cap

In Garrison = Starchs and Spits + Beret

I guess the legs are all confused on what the wear and when.

Not everybody has the luxury of being so flexible with our uniforms.  4ID doesnt wear patrol caps unless it is monday morning at the motorpool.  We were the only ones in OIF 1 that were not allowed to wear any headgear besides a kevlar for the entire year, unless you were on R&R in Qatar.  Seargents time and field problems we carry our soft caps, but wear the kevlar, LBV, and mask at all times.  Going across the cattleguard to north ft Hood requires the same uniform and weapons are pointed out just like in Iraq.  I guess III corps is ready to send us back already.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:45:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Earned Not Issued !
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#27]
The worst thing was seeing a pregnant female soldier wearing a green beret. General Shelton changed that shit. Then we had the " Fluff and Buff" policy. That was cool.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The worst thing was seeing a pregnant female soldier wearing a green beret. General Shelton changed that shit. Then we had the " Fluff and Buff" policy. That was cool.

Nice avatar, when were you with the nightstalkers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top