Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:43:35 AM EDT
My daughter just joined the Air Force.  She was assigned to "base rediness" AIT is at Ft leonard in Missouri.  I have no idea how to advise as to posting preferences or what her "job" entails.  It sounds like she will go to Bagram "soonest"

Any ideas to help her through while she learns her way around?

I spent 14yrs USN so I'm not much help.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]

I did a 7 year hitch with the AF working in Communications. What sort of things was she looking to find out about? When you're in AIT you pretty much just want to do your work and pass so you can become perm party instead of being a student. My school however was 1 year long before that happened. It all depends on what her job is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Readiness guys do all the training for and testing of Chem warfare type equipment,, they teach classes on UXO's and IED's (bombs and unexploded bombsa) and  they also go in search of chemical agents and set up monitoring equipment.  Since we get about 5000 false alarms a day and have never had a chemical attack and even if we did have a chemical attack they would go crazy trying to find ways to lie and say it never happened, they do little more than drive the working part of the AF crazy.

The bad news?  They are needed in places with UXO's and a real world chemical threat, like Iraq and Afganastan.  The good news? most USAF rotations are 90-180 days and typically stay on base.  It is nowhere near as bad as the Army or Marines.  

Our Readiness guys were at BIAP in Iraq, they lived in a bunker watched TV and played on the computer for 4 months and volunteered to stay and suck more tax free status when asked to leave.  They never left the base or did much of anything from their own accounts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#4]
As a USAF veteran (21 years) who has seen the other services (my wife used to be in the Navy and I've had friends in, been TDY to, & been on deployments with the other branches), the first thing I would say is that the USAF seems to put more resources into quality of life issues.  Whether housing, MWR, or whatever.  Air Force life is generally pretty good.

Like anything else, she will get out of the experience what she puts into it.  I commend her for volunteering to serve our great nation.  Give her a hearty "thumbs-up!" and a heartfelt salute from us.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Haha, well I'm in Bagram right now, and your daughter will be fine here.  We call it Garrison because the base is so big.  Besides, the USAF only deploys four months at a time.  I'll probably be elsewhere in this country by the time she gets here, so no guided tours, but theres a decent amount for her to do here.   I cant believe that she already knows that shes coming here.  I think the USAF must be quite a bit more organized then the Army.  

If her job is inside the wire, she'll also be pretty safe.  We get some rocket attacks from outside, but I dont think anyone has even been hurt by one in the 2 months that I've been here.  Rocket attacks sound scary, but they are unaimed and unmanned.  Anyways, internet and phone access here is super easy, so she'll be able to keep in touch.  

EDIT - On a side note, if I switch over to the officer side of military, I'll probably go blue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top