Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2004 1:22:20 PM EDT
Anyone following the recent few threads on those considering enlistment, or those recently enlisted, have read that I've recently enlisted and start training next month.

One simple question, can I wear a watch during BCT? (Or OSUT in my case, 13F at Ft. Sill)

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can own and wear a watch, I would recommend a G-Shock I have only been through two of them in my whole time in the Army.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I'm looking for a new one and wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting money. And yes, I'm looking for a good rugged one.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
CeeDub,
After you get your watch try taking it to a 'jeweler' who can engrave your name and/or at  least  your 'last four' on the backplate.I lost my watch in basic(had my name/last four on the band)and believe it or not someone found it and it showed up in my mail about six months later.I wish I would have gotten a note telling where it was found cause I was sure no-one stole it and I drove myself crazy looking for it.I would have liked to send a thankyou note too.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes - My recommendation is the G-Shock "Tough Solar"  model number G2300B-2V

The MSRP is 89.99 but they were at Costco for about $50 a little while ago.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Awesome
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a digital watch. Nothing like trying to figure out if it is 0230 or 0330 when you are suffering from sleep deprivation. A digital tells you the time, no thought involved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Indeed, I was looking for a digital that has Mil. time, haha

I spared asking for fear of looking like a dumbass PVT :)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
My recommendation, buy a good one after you leave bct/ait.
Spend the 9$ on the cheapest wal-mart watch you can find for the time being, then invest.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
????

I'd think I'd want a decent quality one for OSUT too, any cheap-o is probably going to get bashed out of commission during the first couple weeks of BCT isn't it?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
????

I'd think I'd want a decent quality one for OSUT too, any cheap-o is probably going to get bashed out of commission during the first couple weeks of BCT isn't it?

I lost two watches while I was there.  No, I have no idea where, and I'm pretty sure I woulda lost em no matter how much it cost.  Do what you want, but I'd spend the money on a good one later - buy it as a bct graduation gift to yourself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My recommendation, buy a good one after you leave bct/ait.
Spend the 9$ on the cheapest wal-mart watch you can find for the time being, then invest.  

+1

On my first shopping trip to the PX during BCT, I bought a cheap Armitron.  It lasted throughout BCT, and the strap finally broke long afterward during a particularly rough day at OCS (I kept the watch as my "training" watch).
I taped it up with electrician's tape and I still wear it whenever I PT.  It needs to be soaked in soapy water once a week, but that watch holds some dear memories.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I spared asking for fear of looking like a dumbass PVT :)

A watch won't help you there combat...  PUSH!!!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#14]
they let army recruits keep personal effects in recruit training?

next thing you know they will let them smoke and drink soda and cut bootcamp down to 60 days
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#15]
ceedub, I went through basic last oct 23-jan15th so if you have any ?s let me know, buy a cheap watch you will beat the crap out of it. Other things, multivitamins to fight the fort sill plague that you will get and survive. My im name is the same(target000) so log on and ask some questions I would be glad to answer them.. My first year in the army is almost here and I'm still in ait but thats another story!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually basic is getting harder, I was the last cycle to go through the "regular" basic cycle, there are no "stress cards" or any of that, DS do swear, they don't hit you. You get smoked so much that first week one pushup will seem like a lot. I still remember that first smoke session I felt like i was going to die. Now they have switched to warrior ethos which is supposed to go to 13 weeks, instead of the 9 that i had. You will be in the field much more than i was something like 27 days. The guys we are getting have been through it. Also much more weapons training, like the .50 cal are included. Its harder than it was, not that it was that bad before, the hardest thing for me was that damn plague and being sick all the time. Bring those multivitamins. No personal effects are allowed, Bring almost nothing with you but what your wearing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks Target

Are we even allowed to bring vitamins in with us? Or do we have to kind of keep it on the hush or what?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#18]
you better hope so

the recruit crud is gonna get ya
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#19]
they will give you a big speech to intimidate you, but they never searched us for anything, stick it in a boot and you'll be fine, if you do get caught its multi vitamins , if you don't want to mess with that just buy some at the mini px when you go to get your hair cut. Half of my platoon had cell phones and portable dvd players snuck in there by the end of basic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Ressurecting an old thread for an update

I went yesterday and picked up a 3 mo. supply of vitamins from GNC, figure I'll at least get a head start on them in case they don't let me bring them in.

Also picked up an LL Bean (well known outdoor gear company up here in Maine) watch for $90. They have a 100% guarantee on ANYTHING. So I figure if it busts at basic I send it back and get another one or money back, if not, I'm a happy soldier.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Say hi to 95th AG for me!  Oh, and make sure you can do 13 pushups, 17 sit ups and run 1 mile in 8'30".  If not, you'll be stuck in FTB for awhile.  No fun.  Say hi to the 379th Reservists down there too.  One more thing, tell your processing NCO to pound sand when he yells at you.  They're not allowed to smoke you or anything.  Only drill sergeant's can do that and only after you leave reception.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Already GTG on the PT stuff ;) Just show me where to run...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One more thing, tell your processing NCO to pound sand when he yells at you.  They're not allowed to smoke you or anything.  Only drill sergeant's can do that and only after you leave reception.

do what they tell you, when they tell you...  don't be some shyster barracks lawyer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One more thing, tell your processing NCO to pound sand when he yells at you.  They're not allowed to smoke you or anything.  Only drill sergeant's can do that and only after you leave reception.

do what they tell you, when they tell you...  don't be some shyster barracks lawyer.

Exactly!  My earlier post was in jest.  I know some of the processing NCO's and Drill Sergeants in 95th AG and some of them are buggers.  Especially watch out for a black female DS.  Don't get on her bad side or ......
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Some more advice:  Get a good key lock for your wall locker, not a combo.  Keys are faster and you don't want to preset a combo lock.  DS's know that one and check.  If they find your wall locker unsecure, you'll get a counseling and be picking your stuff up from outside the barracks.  That's if you find it all.

Don't trust anyone.  I served as an XO in the 95th and had to check barracks.  We found several unsecure and someone had some stuff stolen.  We found out who did it and he denied it to the end.  The bad guy left MEPS with the guy he stole the money from and was supposedly on pretty good terms with him.  Don't trust anyone even if you think you know them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Roger that

I already know I don't know anyone, LOL, so that'll be automatic. I'll make sure to do that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:40:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Exactly!  My earlier post was in jest.  I know some of the processing NCO's and Drill Sergeants in 95th AG and some of them are buggers.  Especially watch out for a black female DS.  Don't get on her bad side or ......

LOL...  I wasn't sure.  

I could just see you setting this young man off to the AG...  "CPL, A guy on the internet said you couldn't make me do pushups, so I'm not going to do it...  "

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#28]
You may get to wear a watch you may not.  Sometimes only the SL's or PG will wear one, some DS's will let everyone wear one.  Anyway coming from someone who just finished Ranger school and owes a g-shock and a $20 armitron from walmart, they both served me well in school and in the field.  Buy cheap and get yourself something good when you get to your unit.  BTW it's easy to lose watches in training, I found two in the pre-ranger course and one in florida in the swamps.  Nothing but digital.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Heh, I just got back from 21B (Combat Engineer) OSUT.  We weren't allowed to wear watches until AIT.  No stress cards either.  No physical contact, unless of course a Private and the Drill Sergeant settled things away from everyone else.  It only didn't happen (if you catch my drift) once, and that was during NBC training.  We just got done road marching down a hill in MOPP 4, and when we turned back around to go back up, one Private ripped his mask off and started bitching.  The Drill Sergeant got in his face, and the Private kept running his mouth.  The Drill Sergeant challenged him to go into the woodline with him.  After a few minutes, they both came back, and the Private didn't do shit for the rest of the time he was there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top