Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 5:18:21 PM EDT
Returned last October from 11 months in OEF/CJTF 180 AO - biggest thing is to deploy with PMA- postive mental attitude - do not let deployment get you down - stay busy all the time - learn to cross train if possible - MOS dependent - my job carried me all over TOA so I was lucky to have first hand perspective on operational ability of coalition and US forces - concentrate on the basics as far as gear is concerned - I try to limit my gear to A bag/B bag, three day patrol pack with one complete uniform and boots and all other necessary survival gear in case you get separated from your A/B bags you can soldier on by keeping your ruck with you on the flight over.  Laptop is indespensible+digital if you can swing it.  I will be headed back shortly to OIF and OIF lessons learned posted in this forum has been helpful.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
What would you say are the high demand items that are hard to come by?

I am headed to Bagram shortly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#2]
BAF was starting to improve greatly by the time I left-PX there was first class has all the necessary gear that you needed - rocks are bitch there, all over the place, watch your ankles, -

you will burn up boots quickly over there - I went through a pair abut every three to four months - take at least two flashlights - I carry at least one surefire (spare bulb and batteries are a must cannot find in AO) and one mini Mag light.  The mini mag saves the wear and tear on your Surefire at night and AA batteries are easy to come by and extra replacement bulbs should be packed in.  I used the mini mag for reading in the rack at night and for situations where surefire brightness was not needed - bagram is very dark at night - chow improved greatly by the time I left - KBR is running most of the chow halls - Haliburton is doing one hell of a job over there and they are great guys!  

Take at least two sets of sunglasses. Oakleys are great against dust, BAF does not get all that warm in the summer but winters can be brutal - take your insulated boots from CIF and polypro/goretex-layers, summer in the rest of the country can be extremely hot.  I went for homemade (local) ammo rig that I picked up in MES (about $20US) and was able to carry 6 30 rounders on my chest over my IBA with no discomfort-pick up a good chest rig before you leave, strapped my M9 to my IBA also as well as most of the TA-50 stuff - Afghanistan is a trip and if you can get past the wire and see some of he country you will appreciate out efforts over there and the success we are having with the local population.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I just can't get enough of these posts with advice for us guys getting ready to rock over here at home, keep it coming!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top