Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2004 7:20:58 PM EDT
Can any of you identify the missile (i think) that this guy is carrying?  It is from a role of film that I got from my brother-in-law who took the pic in Vietnam.  He can't remember what it is.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a missle, its a tripod, probably for a battery command periscope used by foward observers, or possibly for just survey use.

Whatever goes on top is whats in the case in his other hand.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick response Garandman.  I think you nailed it!  I also wondered what he was carrying in the other hand.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The item in the other hand looks to be the case for a M2 Aiming Circle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
or the theodolite (sp?)

could be some guys with a FA survey team.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
tube of squelch
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tube of squelch

I thought that only came in a can
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe it's an inflation device for a BA-1100N.  Or maybe he just borrowed a gallon of rotorwash from the Huey behind him.

Seriously though, it looks to me like lasertech is right.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#8]
It appears to be a tripod and a M2 Aiming Circle. I've used the M2 Aiming Circle hundreds of times to lay in Mortars.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like K9P to me
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It appears to be a tripod and a M2 Aiming Circle. I've used the M2 Aiming Circle hundreds of times to lay in Mortars.

I agree, its just the tripod and M2 (kind of like a surveyors sight) used for laying in mortars/artillery on specific deflections.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, its just the tripod and M2 (kind of like a surveyors sight) used for laying in mortars/artillery on specific deflections.

BINGO was his namo.   Had my hands on that for several years.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly what it is.  M2 aiming circle and tripod.  He'll also have a plumb bob with him to ensure level.  Spent plenty of time on Aiming Circle Hill at Ft. Sill using those things.  Also used it to lay in the FA battery and mortars.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tube of squelch

I thought that only came in a can

With a can of freq. grease...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top