Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2004 1:55:53 PM EDT
I'll try to keep this post as short as possible, but in essence, I am trying to collect material that will eventually be pieced together to create a website. My goal is to list units from WWII through the present, particularly those involved with combat operations in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Gulf War, Somalia, etc. I will likely eventually add units involved in A-Stan and Iraq, but since those events are still on-going, it would seem unwise to begin those at this time.

My goal is to list each unit (at division level) and provide a history of where those units fought, what they did and list accomplishments. That data I am finding in abundance. But what I am having the most trouble with is locating rosters of units that served in those divisions during times of combat. I am aware that many records were destroyed in a 1973 fire where they are stored and this may be a big factor. However, I have found lots of unit rosters for several units. For example, I have found enough information on the 25th ID in Vietnam to almost have a complete roster of every man who served in that division during the Vietnam War. But OTOH, I am having a terrible time locating unit rosters of the 101st Airborne and many other units involved in that war. I feel having as much info about who served in the units is as important as the accomplishments of the units. Unfortunately, it seems such info wasn't preserved very well.

So, if anyone can provide links to unit rosters from this time period (1941-1999), I would greatly appreciate it. I realize that many may only contain info at the company level, but that is ok. I'll track down as many as possible and then add them to the appropriate battalions, regiments and divisions as I go. I have done a great deal of searching on the net and I have turned up a good number of these rosters, but there doesn't seem to be much available for many units. So again, if anyone knows where to point me in order to track down more of these online (or elsewhere), I'd be grateful. I realize getting a complete list will be impossible (not to mention an enormormous task for one person), but I do hope to get as much info collected as possible about key armored, mechanized, airborne and light infantry divisions in the above listed time period as possible.

Thanks,

-CH
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep! As a matter of fact I do have that name (thank goodness they are in alphabetic order!). And I do appreciate the assistance, as I have nothing at all on the 82nd yet.

This is a pretty big task and I have no idea why I ever started this anyway. I think it started when I was trying to locate some buddies of my uncle who was a Nam vet and I realized how scattered and incomplete such records were. So it's my goal to gather as many of them as possible (or at least links to them) and group them all in one location. For the sake of practicality, I am trying to stick with divisions/regiments that haven't been deactivated, or at least those that weren't deactivated after WWII. Surprisingly, copy + paste allows me to quickly gather units/names, then I drop them into files and save them to disks. By that method I can gather lots of info quickly in an organized manner and have it on hand when needed.

Believe it or not this has actually been kind of fun. Along the way I've come across numerous cool photographs, stories and even a couple of names of individuals I know. So far the 25th ID has been the most easy and complete division I've come across. I also made good progress on the 7th Cav regiment in the Vietnam era. The 9th Marines (Vietnam) is partially complete as well.

Anyway, thanks again for the help. Any info you can drop, even if it's only a company listing will be a big help as I slowly piece together this enormous project. LOL. At the rate I'm going, it will likely take years as I can only devote a little time here and there. But it's a fun project to work on when I'm bored or the weather is too bad to go shooting.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top