Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2004 8:23:54 AM EDT
I am currently infantry, but would like to do something different. Don't get me wrong a couple years of infantry does some good for everyone. But I would like to do something else

I was thinking,

Military Intelligence, ( what kind of asvab do you need for MI?) I have a 81 (gt 121-124)

and as a long shot Helicopter pilot which I hear is very tough to even get a slot.

I just think a different MOS could help me find a better job in the civilian world.

Not to be a pussy but infantry life is rough on the body, hearing, knees, back. I would like to not be a cripple when I get out.

thanks for the help,

are there any other good jobs to look into?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
My suggestions were in your original thread on this topic from yesterday.  I'll add to my original thoughts, military intelligence is not the automatic segue into a civilian job like some people think.  You learn a specific skill set that is not really applicable to many jobs in the civilian world.  The exception is the 33 series.

As stated before, a GT of 110 (I'm not sure how you got 121-124, it's just one number) will open the door for any job in the army.  I was MI for over seven years and just got out three months ago.  If I had to do it again, I would either be a 97B or some medical MOS.  See my other post for reasons.  HTH.

Aviation WO is one of the best options, if you can make it into the program and don't mind being deployed often.  Aviation RLO is not as good because at some point you get nothing but administrative duties such as flight planning, company commander, S1 OIC, etc.

-Randy
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

As stated before, a GT of 110 (I'm not sure how you got 121-124, it's just one number) will open the door for any job in the army.  I was MI for over seven years and just got out three months ago.  If I had to do it again, I would either be a 97B or some medical MOS.  See my other post for reasons.  HTH.

-Randy

Hmm as I remeber there was 5 or 6 Gt scores, could mak7.62 mean 124 was the hi?
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
There are actually 10 different component scores, not 5 or 6.  Only one of those 10 is your GT score.  It's the one labeled "GT"

The others were labeled: CL, CO, EL, FA, GM, MM, OF, SC, and ST

These names just got changed, however, to: ADMIN, CMBT, ELEC, FA, MAINT, MECH, TECH, COMMO, and FOOD.  Fortunately, GT stayed as GT.

If you don't know your GT score, go look at your ERB.  It's the only score that matters.

-Randy

ETA: If you are looking into a Medical MOS, you might have to meet a ST score requirement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I spend nearly 10 years as a 31C (commo guy) and it worked out very well for me.
Got to learn alot of different technologies and work with alot of different MOS types, infantry included. Couple years in LRS humping a radio and I was ready to look for greener pastures.
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
 If I could do it over again, I would.........................*falls asleep*

Come on man, 18B is the only way to go!
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I was gonna suggest EOD also. I did it 21 years ago and now coming out of the service you can make 120-160 a year as a tech 2, more as master blaster. Im currently on a demo team in Hawaii. Life is a Bitch! If you go to the sandbox, look for 185/yr plus....The school now passes way more than it used to. From my class of 15 ish, two were standing at the end. How I was one I have no idea.....Helo mechanic also is an idea. 80K /yr outside.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm currently an 11B.

The only other options I considered was WOFT and 18X.

Wish I went 18X instead of RIP.. but hell it doesn't matter, my shit swimming ability would have made me wash out just as quick as I did at RIP.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
13 FOXTROT-forward observer... the "eyes of death"... comes in very handy in the civilian world.  As long as your boss has a 155mm howitzer!
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
00B or 18D baby!  Or you could get a nice job like 91S (unless they've changed the designation) or 71G.  Medical admin is the the chairborne way.  18D would be pretty sweet though . . .
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Helo mechanic also is an idea. 80K /yr outside.
 I am a 15R (Apache crewchief).  It's a great job lots of fun very challenging at times, but your not gonna make 80k.  If you can I sure as shit don't know where those jobs are, and I've looked hard.  My reccomendation if you want to go AVN is sheetmetal.  I don't know the MOS and it's probably called Airframe repairer or something along those lines.  With those skills you will never go jobless on the outside.  Generally sheetmetal guys demand a little more money than general mechanics.  I left the INF as an 11h to become a 15R and have truly enjoyed it.  Another thing to look at if you decide to go AVN is the promotion point cutoff analysis for the year.  I'm sure they still have it but I can't remember what it's called.  At any rate it's an analysis of the entire years promotion points broken down by MOS, including each months cutoff, and average point count that people got promoted at that year.  Be careful which AVN MOS's you look at some of the back shop MOS's stay at 798 for E5 and E6 for years.  I know a powertrain guy that has 726 points as an E5(p) is BNCOC qualified and has been like that for the last 2 years.  Where as I got promoted to E6 without BNCOC and the month I made it points were 477.  Also check where you can be stationed with each MOS as a 15R I can go to Campbell, Bragg, Hood, Stewart, Korea, Germany, And Eustis (as AIT instructor0, there are also a few slots at Rucker once you become an E6.  A few other things to think about when and if you reclass to whatever branch if you've got a long time till AIT get 90 days OJT in your contract if they have that MOS where your stationed.  Also whatever MOS your looking at try to talk to some guys that are actually working in that job.  I was not prepared for 16 hour days when I left the INF but you get used to it fast.  Also be prepared for a totally diffrent army when you reclass.  The diffrence between INF and AVN is night and day not that one is better there's just a diffrent attitude here.  Hope all this helps you make a decision
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Never regretted going 18 series......
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Helo mechanic also is an idea. 80K /yr outside.
 I am a 15R (Apache crewchief).  It's a great job lots of fun very challenging at times, but your not gonna make 80k.  If you can I sure as shit don't know where those jobs are, and I've looked hard.  My reccomendation if you want to go AVN is sheetmetal.  I don't know the MOS and it's probably called Airframe repairer or something along those lines.  With those skills you will never go jobless on the outside.  Generally sheetmetal guys demand a little more money than general mechanics.  I left the INF as an 11h to become a 15R and have truly enjoyed it.  Another thing to look at if you decide to go AVN is the promotion point cutoff analysis for the year.  I'm sure they still have it but I can't remember what it's called.  At any rate it's an analysis of the entire years promotion points broken down by MOS, including each months cutoff, and average point count that people got promoted at that year.  Be careful which AVN MOS's you look at some of the back shop MOS's stay at 798 for E5 and E6 for years.  I know a powertrain guy that has 726 points as an E5(p) is BNCOC qualified and has been like that for the last 2 years.  Where as I got promoted to E6 without BNCOC and the month I made it points were 477.  Also check where you can be stationed with each MOS as a 15R I can go to Campbell, Bragg, Hood, Stewart, Korea, Germany, And Eustis (as AIT instructor0, there are also a few slots at Rucker once you become an E6.  A few other things to think about when and if you reclass to whatever branch if you've got a long time till AIT get 90 days OJT in your contract if they have that MOS where your stationed.  Also whatever MOS your looking at try to talk to some guys that are actually working in that job.  I was not prepared for 16 hour days when I left the INF but you get used to it fast.  Also be prepared for a totally diffrent army when you reclass.  The diffrence between INF and AVN is night and day not that one is better there's just a diffrent attitude here.  Hope all this helps you make a decision

Those jobs are in Alaska, two weeks on/two weeks off.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]

13 FOXTROT-forward observer... the "eyes of death"... comes in very handy in the civilian world. As long as your boss has a 155mm howitzer!

Hooah!  Rock Hard Fister!  

Take it from one numbskull who went 11B to 13F, don't do it.  That is, unless you like your current job, but want to add a radio, Binos, PLGR, HTU, and a few other acronyms to your packing list.  Not to mention batteries, lots of freakin' batteries!  Batteries of every size, shape, and most importantly, weight.

BTW, downstate, where are you in IL?  By the name, I'm guessing Southern IL.  Also, when did you go thru C/2nd - 80th?  I was there FEB - APR 97.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#15]
<-----

Soldier Medic!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Second the pretty ladies!  91B (or whatever they call it now) will put you at Ft. Sam quite often!
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#18]
How about being a door gunner on a helocopter?  Is that a specific MOS, or  an aviation crewman? Active duty guys I'm sure have the answer.  I'm out over 10 years (11B4) and forgot quite a few things.  I think that would be kinda cool.  Life in the aviation bat  is a lot more comforable than being in the sticks!
Mike
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#19]
UAV operator is a hot job right now affiliated with MI.  The Army is in the middle of fielding the Shadow 200 UAV system to support at the brigade and division level.  The MOS is called 96U and although I do not have the exact numbers, but I think you need a decent GT score to get the MOS.  After getting out you can hook up with the training base as an instructor or with the Shadow 200 contractor company as a Field Service Representative (FSR).  If you stay in, there is a UAV Warrant Officer career field 350U where you serve as the lead technician in a UAV platoon.  Also there is a 96U NCO path up to platoon sergeant.  UAV units also use 33W electronics technicians.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#20]
C'mon now.. lets get serious here. Everyone knows that "Chicks did Tankers"  19K   "why carry your weapon when your weapon can carry your" as soon as I switched to 11Boo I stopped getting laid!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
21M, Firefighter
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:13:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
have a booming good time go 12B

Just to let you know Combat Engineers is no longer 12B, it was changed to 21B...
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to love hanging out with the sappers.  They have neat toys.

If you want a job that gets you shot at a little less but is still pretty freaking intense, go 93C.  There are dirt-dart and leg units, so you have your pick.  It's fast-paced, high-tech, and will pretty much let you walk into a nice FAA job wnen you retire/ETS.

Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Excellent advice sir. 312th MI at hood had/has a UAV company. When they lost a plane on W. ft. hood we'd go looking for it.  As I understand it, its quite the sought after skillset nowadays.

Quoted:
UAV operator is a hot job right now affiliated with MI.  The Army is in the middle of fielding the Shadow 200 UAV system to support at the brigade and division level.  The MOS is called 96U and although I do not have the exact numbers, but I think you need a decent GT score to get the MOS.  After getting out you can hook up with the training base as an instructor or with the Shadow 200 contractor company as a Field Service Representative (FSR).  If you stay in, there is a UAV Warrant Officer career field 350U where you serve as the lead technician in a UAV platoon.  Also there is a 96U NCO path up to platoon sergeant.  UAV units also use 33W electronics technicians.

Link Posted: 8/21/2004 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

13 FOXTROT-forward observer... the "eyes of death"... comes in very handy in the civilian world. As long as your boss has a 155mm howitzer!

Hooah!  Rock Hard Fister!  

Take it from one numbskull who went 11B to 13F, don't do it.  That is, unless you like your current job, but want to add a radio, Binos, PLGR, HTU, and a few other acronyms to your packing list.  Not to mention batteries, lots of freakin' batteries!  Batteries of every size, shape, and most importantly, weight.

BTW, downstate, where are you in IL?  By the name, I'm guessing Southern IL.  Also, when did you go thru C/2nd - 80th?  I was there FEB - APR 97.

Hmm, I just enlisted last week 13F, starting BCT in Oct. Yay. :)
Seemed cool to me, *shrug*
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]
UAV operator is a hot job right now affiliated with MI. The Army is in the middle of fielding the Shadow 200 UAV system to support at the brigade and division level. The MOS is called 96U and although I do not have the exact numbers, but I think you need a decent GT score to get the MOS. After getting out you can hook up with the training base as an instructor or with the Shadow 200 contractor company as a Field Service Representative (FSR). If you stay in, there is a UAV Warrant Officer career field 350U where you serve as the lead technician in a UAV platoon. Also there is a 96U NCO path up to platoon sergeant. UAV units also use 33W electronics technicians.

Uav(96U) is very easy for promo's, ur e-5,6,7 reclass are going to be promoted to fill new openings in new uav companys that are just being fielded, if your a e-4 your going to be e-5 extremely fast, that goes for some pfc's as well. 350U you need i think 2 years experience and be e-5 or above to qualify. All of our e-7's are being promoted to e-8's upon graduating the mos course. Be prepared for a VERY long hold though if you chose this mos, mine has been 6/8 months i have been here, reclass even longer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah man,  98X is always open - do they still have the BEAR program?  My only advice, get your language guaranteed - you don't want any pain like Korean.  

97B would be sweet - that is one of those "if I knew then what I know now" MOSes

110+ is GTG for a GT score - take the DLAB and see what you score.

If you are thinking about flight warrant go to the ed center and take the FAST test and see what your results are before discounting it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
keep in mind recruiters will not help you with warrent of officer programs, they get no credit for that so don't bother with them. Warrent is great if you qualify I would have gone that route had I know ahead of time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Yeah man,  98X is always open - do they still have the BEAR program?  My only advice, get your language guaranteed - you don't want any pain like Korean.  

97B would be sweet - that is one of those "if I knew then what I know now" MOSes

Yep...I was a 97B for a while... fun stuff, and nobody knows what you really do
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
keep in mind recruiters will not help you with warrent of officer programs, they get no credit for that so don't bother with them. Warrent is great if you qualify I would have gone that route had I know ahead of time.

You are correct - no dude in a strip mall will help you.

HOWEVER...

He is still in the Army.  He needs to take a FAST and then contact a warrant office recruiter.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#32]
One other thing was always really interesting to me was EOD.  They seemed to always have re-up openings.  

Always seemed like a cool job... When I came on active duty (as a 98G)  from reserve 11B there were tons of slots for EOD open as critical MOS.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top