Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2004 9:06:45 AM EDT
If you are introduced to a non Marine and they greet you with "Semper Fi", is it improper?  Is that a term that should only be used between 2 Marines?
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I'm not a Marine yet but here's my .2 cents anyway. Semper Fi is Latin for "Always Faithful." If I was a Marine I'd probably be a little peeved at a wannabe saying it to me, but then again I'm not a Marine so I don't know much lol.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if it occurs at a gunshow, while you are wearing uniform items in the camouflage pattern whose name shall not mentioned!

Seriously though, it isn't protected under copywrite law. If you deliver such a greeting to a Marine, it had better be done with a respectful tone (or he'll kick you ass!).

The same thing applies to saluting. Do it correctly and you can expect the same in return; or don't bother (exceptions are made for small children). Enlisted Marines [b]have[/b] to salute all commissioned officers and colors not cased, unlike officers who have to salute everyone. We can choose to salute those who have earned our respect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I've known and met a lot of Marines. I never use it as a greeting, or some kind of verbal "high five". I'll use it to show my respect and support, or more usually, on parting. To let them know I'll remember they are making a sacrifice for me. In that context, I've never received a strange look for saying it.

And please notice my sig line.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I approve with GunnyG, never have had been thrown by someone saying that.

I have met some that could get bent if you did sound off with “Semper Fi” and looking like Joe shit the rag man.

Take care

Link Posted: 4/9/2004 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldnt say it unless I was a Marine, just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2004 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
It would probably be kinda awkward coming from a non-Marine, but I wouldn't be offended at all. It's not an insult, it's not a vulgarity, and it's not that the person saying it is trying to sound like a Marine. They're saying it to make me feel welcome, to perhaps feel more comfortable with them, to let me know they understand just the teeniest part of my culture. It sounds a bit hokey, yeah, but I'm not offended by it and neither are most of my Marines. I think Pthfndr put it best, honestly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
wouldn't mind it at all. It does have deep meaning, but it is also a mutli-purpose phrase.
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 6:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, you simply don't rate and it means nothing comming from you. "Always Faithfull" is a phrase of endearment between those who are serving or have served in the green machine.

Just stick to hi, hello, what up, nice to meet you..etc.

Semper-Fi Do or Die!!  (Fmr Sgt. 0331 USMC)
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
ooops...... hit button twice
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]

....."Semper fi".....0311

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
You can say anything if you say it respectfully and without malice intended.  I've heard:

Hoo-rah!
Urr!
Arrrah Arrrrah!
Hoo-yah shipmate!
Kill!
Semper!
AAaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top