Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2004 2:11:14 PM EDT
I'm aware there are groups that fact-check folks spinning yarns about Special Forces service, wondering if there are any for more run of the mill claimants, or places where such info is noted.

I have run across a person on a political blog, who claims 4yrs of Marine service in '74-78, training on Redeyes, he's spouted some nonsensical and self-contradictory political nonsense, and claimed to have "served in other capacities since 1986", including
"Haiti (twice)
Somalia (1994)
Liberia (three times, the last time last July and August)
Colombia"

Stated name is "Cochrane Collins"

I'm expecting a current location on the person via the blog owner, shortly

EDIT - no helpful physical location, but get this - he's posting from a comp within the State Dept. Which makes his support of "mercenary" damnation even more insidious.

In short, his story and support for a Leftist's blogger's labeling of the just-murdered former operators working in Iraq as "mercenaries" frankly sucks, and several of us are calling him on it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#1]
the military service is easy to verify,  

tell him to put up or shut up for his service in "other capacities",  he would have photos of any the places he has been

its a safe bet he is is BSing you if he can't cough anything up,  its hard to prove a negative (i.e. he was never there) but if he was there he would have the t-shirt, a cool photo album, etc etc
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, he may be telling the truth..some contractors have inlfi.state.gov.us addresses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
he could be an accountant verifying timesheets as well

we might get lucky and he is james bond, then ask him if he has any cool photos
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I was trained on and served as a Redeye Team Chief
(82nd Airborne, 3/4 ADA) from 74-78. My memory on the minute details is a little foggy but, if someone were to hand me one today I could still engage a target and fire it as if it were yesterday.
If hes made any claims or provided any info about the Redeye missle, I'd know if they were true or not.

Link Posted: 4/12/2004 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Rayra,

I have a special hatred for phony vets.  The best resources I have found on the web are

[url]www.phonyveterans.com[/url]

or

[url]www.authentiseal.com[/url] (Fake SEALs)

Not only do they bust phony vets by authenticating their claims but also have walls of shame, instructions on how to request a vet's DD214 (FOIA request/all public information), and links to sites for phony rangers, phony seals, phony POWs, phony SF'ers and phony MOH claimants.  Check them out.

Hope this helps.

-Badger  
Link Posted: 4/12/2004 9:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Rayra,

I have a special hatred for phony vets.  The best resources I have found on the web are

[url]www.phonyveterans.com[/url]

or

[url]www.authentiseal.com[/url] (Fake SEALs)

Not only do they bust phony vets by authenticating their claims but also have walls of shame, instructions on how to request a vet's DD214 (FOIA request/all public information), and links to sites for phony rangers, phony seals, phony POWs, phony SF'ers and phony MOH claimants.  Check them out.

Hope this helps.

-Badger  
View Quote

Not only do they do the above, I received 4 e-mails from SEALS when I reported a phony, one also kindly offered to come out and kick the guy's ass.

Link Posted: 4/13/2004 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was trained on and served as a Redeye Team Chief
(82nd Airborne, 3/4 ADA) from 74-78. My memory on the minute details is a little foggy but, if someone were to hand me one today I could still engage a target and fire it as if it were yesterday.
If hes made any claims or provided any info about the Redeye missle, I'd know if they were true or not.
View Quote

I also served with 3/4 ADAR Bravo Batt. in the 82nd.  I was a little later on from 95-98.  We didn't use Redeye anymore, had already transitioned to the Stingers and Avenger.  I still have a TM from the avenger(shhh), and have knowledge of the Stinger and Redeye.  I can also be of help if he spouts off any BS about the redeye....
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also, he may be telling the truth..some contractors have inlfi.state.gov.us addresses.

Very true
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 7:51:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally posted by  TheAmaazingCarl: "the military service is easy to verify, tell him to put up or shut up for his service in "other capacities", he would have photos of any the places he has been its a safe bet he is is BSing you if he can't cough anything up, its hard to prove a negative (i.e. he was never there) but if he was there he would have the t-shirt, a cool photo album, etc etc."

T-Shirt?  I forgot my T-Shirt.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top