Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2004 8:20:21 AM EDT
My 17 y.o. son just came home with his initials tattooed on his lower right wrist in what looks like 1" Old English Script. What is the military's policy on taking in recruits with tattoos? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know what the policy is now but they use to not care.

When I finished basic training, we got a weekend pass.  I was going to get a tattoo with the rest of the guys but the line was too long.  So I went next door to the strip club.  Lost my interest in getting a tattoo.  [8d]
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#2]
The Army won't allow a soldier to have a tattoo that can be visible while wearing the Class A uniform.  The recruiter should know the exact dimensions, but if not, they'll catch it at MEPS or the reception battalion before basic training begins.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I once saw a sailor with a barbwire tatoo on his neck, Im not sure how he got in with that but he sure did look like a thuf looser to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I once saw a sailor with a barbwire tatoo across his neck, he looked like a looser/thug to me. Im not sure if he got a waiver for that or got the tatoo after he was already in.  The recruiters should know the answer.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My 17 y.o. son just came home with his initials tattooed on his lower right wrist in what looks like 1" Old English Script. What is the military's policy on taking in recruits with tattoos? Thanks.
View Quote

maybe the idiot should have thought of that before he got a tattoo
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Army won't allow a soldier to have a tattoo that can be visible while wearing the Class A uniform.  The recruiter should know the exact dimensions, but if not, they'll catch it at MEPS or the reception battalion before basic training begins.
View Quote

same for navy, so Im told.

ive been given different answers on other tattoo issues, but this one i hear is the only one that pretty much stands
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The policy depends on the service. I've been in two different branches and the current service I'm in is more lenient then the Army.
Link Posted: 3/29/2004 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Depending on your local state laws you may have just hit the lottery.  In some places it's illegal to tatto minors without parental consent.  The downside is the only assets you can probably win is the tattoo parlor.

The services will also likely reject an applicant with gang or racial tattoos.  

Did you smack him with the 2x2 for being a little DUMB about this?
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 1:39:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got back from basic and there was a guy in my platoon with a swatztika tatooed on his arm. They let him in because he said he renounced his former nazi ways.
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#10]
'Offically' any tattoo is verboten for the Army. In reality, they want to make sure you're not sporting racist ink. I was an MP and ran into this all the time. Some of the ink on people left me wondering what they were thinking at the time. Your son should have no problem getting in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2004 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#11]
PaDanby
I used a 2x4 because he's 6', 180lbs and played football last year. It seemed to work better. My buddy, who has multiple tattoos, including one arm that is "sleeved", bitch slapped him when he saw what my son had done. As far as the parlor that did it, my son isn't telling anything except it was done in a basement, not a parlor and he got bitch slapped again. OTOH It is a fine line tattoo and the work is pretty good but that doesn't excuse him for coming home with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2004 6:48:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I got 2 tattoos when I was in the Army. If I remember, you only got trouble if the tattoo became infected and you could not perform your normal duties . "Damaging Government Equipment"
Link Posted: 4/29/2004 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
The USAF answer is as follows:

AFI36-2903 29 SEPTEMBER 2002

Table 2.5. Body Physical Appearance Modification Standards.

(2) Tattoos/Brands Unauthorized (content): Tattoos/brands anywhere on the body that are obscene, advocate sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious discrimination are prohibited in and out of
uniform. Tattoos/brands that are prejudicial to good order and discipline or that are of
a nature that tends to bring discredit upon the Air Force are prohibited in and out of
uniform. Unauthorized (content): Any member obtaining unauthorized tattoos will be
required to remove them at his/her own expense. Using uniform items to cover
unauthorized tattoos is not an option. Members failing to remove or alter unauthorized
tattoos in a timely manner may be subject to disciplinary action or involuntary
separation. Failure to observe these mandatory provisions and prohibitions by
active duty Air Force members, USAFR members on active duty or inactive duty
for training and ANG members in Federal service is a violation of Article 92,
Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). Inappropriate (military image):
Excessive tattoos/brands will not be exposed or visible (includes visible through the
uniform) while in uniform. Excessive is defined as any tattoo/brands that exceed ¼ of
the exposed body part and those above the collarbone and readily visible when wearing
an open collar uniform. Members should not be allowed to display excessive tattoos
that would detract from an appropriate professional image while in uniform.
Commanders should use these guidelines in determining appropriate military image
and acceptability of tattoos displayed by members in uniform. Air Force members with
existing tattoos not meeting an acceptable military image should be required to (a)
maintain complete coverage of the tattoos using current uniform items (e.g.
long-sleeved shirt/blouse, pants/slacks, dark hosiery, etc.) or (b) remove tattoo(s).
Depending on the circumstances, commanders may seek Air Force medical support for
voluntary tattoo removal. Members failing to remove or alter tattoos or who choose not
to comply with acceptable military standards may be subject to disciplinary action or
involuntary separation. Failure to observe these mandatory provisions and
prohibitions by active duty Air Force members, USAFR members on active duty
or inactive duty for training and ANG members in Federal service is a violation
of Article 92, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). (See notes 2, 3, and 4).

Bottom line is: As long as it's not in bad taste, it can't cover more than 1/4 of the exposed body part.
Link Posted: 5/1/2004 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
He should be okay. He will definatly be fine for the Marines. I have a tattoo of a dragon covering the majority of my left forearm. They didn't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't feel too bad. I'm in the Navy and one of my guys showed up with a huge tattoo on the front of his throat. It's quite the stunning visual effect you want to see just before a uniform inspection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top