Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:47:24 PM EDT
 After one semester of college , my daughter has decided to join the Marines.

Do you veterans have any comments before she signs all the papers??

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#1]
She is going to enjoy the new makeup kit the Corps will be issuing her in a few months.
Two different shades of green and two different shades of brown.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear it and tell her thanks for serving!

Just make sure your daughter doesn’t wear MARPAT in your house.

You can only wear MARPAT in a house that is Marne Corp. property. At least that’s what the high & tight meat heads say around here
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
she just got back from taking her CAT-ASVAB test, she scored pretty high so now they are trying to get her to leave for boot camp in 2 weeks.

Does the military keep their word about jobs that they promise ??
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
2 Weeks!!!

I don’t know about you and her, but I would tell her to take her time in this decision of joining the Marines.

She's in control of this crossroad in her life. Do not let the Marines tell her when she can or should leave.

She took her tests, got her score. I would tell the recruiter to not call until she is ready to take the next step.

I have seen many recruiters bully recruits, don’t let them to this to her. Unless she is ready to go now. Then the two weeks thing sounds good. Just let her make the decision that’s she’s ready.

IMHO
YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
She was thinking of going off in the first part off Jan.
The recruiter told her to hold off and see what they would offer her for going so soon.if she goes in 2 weeks she will drop out of college and lose everything she has worked for this semester.
I think she should hold off, Plus she needs to see her sister Grad from college in Dec.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Have her hold off until she has found at least 3 MOS's she believes she would enjoy.  And yes, she will be schooled in the MOS she signs up for.  

Very important that she finish out this semester.  walttx, please bring her to the screen and have her read this:  

Young lady, I spent 15 years, 4 months, and 1 day on active duty.  I learned how to fix F-4 Phantoms and install/fix computer networks.  I also learned how to be a very effective leader of Marines.  I worked my ass off and pulled just about every shit detail known to the Corps, and for my dedicated effort I was eventually promoted to Staff Sergeant.  

BUT IF I WOULD HAVE GRADUATED FROM COLLEGE, I COULD HAVE FLOWN F-4 PHANTOMS INSTEAD OF BUSTING MY KNUCKLES TURNING A WRENCH.

I know college sucks.  But it is not as bad as one day realizing you could have achieved MORE if you would have gutted it out.  

Just what do you think MOS school is going to be like?  Let me tell you.  8 hours of class every day, 5 days a week.  Homework every night.  Uniform inspections every day.  Field day the barracks once a week, with a daily room inspection as an added bonus.  Stand duty at least one night a week and duty section one weekend a month. PT every day.  Looking back, I don't think college would have been much of a hurdle.....  

Finish college.  Become an Officer of Marines.  OR....consider enlisting in the reserves, finish college, then get your comission.  Why ride coach when you can get a First Class ticket???????????  

If you have any questions, please send me an IM.

David Peacher
SSgt/USMC
'84 - '99
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure she gets everything she wants in writing!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top